Honored Contributor

THE FUGITIVE "LANDSCAPE WITH RUNNING FIGURES PART 1" DAVID JANSSEN MONDAY 2:00 A.M. EASTERN METV

[ Edited ]

fugep69sc11b.jpg

2:00 a.m. Eastern--  The Fugitive "Landscape with Running Figures, Part One"   David Janssen, Barbara Rush, Herschel Bernardi, Jud Taylor, Arthur Franz, Noam Pitlik, Rodolfo Hoyos, Jr., Bill Zuckert, Ronnie Dapo

That arresting image of Kimble, bent head in the pelting rain, is the launch, for me, of a quite powerful "double feature" of the show.

fugep69sc34b.jpg

I say that, even though I've whined before about intense "chase" episodes, in which suspense builds and builds and you're on tenterhooks for Kimble's safety.

fugep69sc14b.jpg

Once the exhausted and despairing Kimble realizes (thanks to a sweet co-worker, repeat Fuge actor Rodolfo Hoyos Jr.), that he's inadvertently put the police on his trail, he's off.  And so are we, following him, and Lt. Gerard's wife, "Marie" (Barbara Rush), as both fleeing characters run in parallel tracks.  Will they intersect, and what will that mean for Kimble's chances of eluding

entrapment by Marie's husband?

fugep69sc25b.jpg

I always love beautiful, faun-like Barbara Rush, her actor's intelligence and her elegance.  She's pretty 'burnt out' in this, a point that is made with every flick of her hairbrush...   More to say about her later.

fugep69sc05b.jpg

And wish we would get more of Herschel Bernardi.  Casting directors might have liked him as a policeman-- there was his award-nominated stint as "Lt. Jacoby" in "Peter Gunn",  and here, he's suave "Captain Ames".  It's fun to contrast his courteous, tactful treatment of Gerard, with Gerard's often boorish, needlessly alienating and dismissive manner with others, especially those of "lower" rank.  

Bernardi's soothing "graham-crackers-in-cream" voice is a balm for the ears here!

fugep69sc06b.jpg

fugep69sc55b.jpg

Oh, and Jud Taylor is a policeman too, instead of one of the goofball characters he's played before on Fuge.  Recognize him?  He's a cutie, and finally gets to be a good guy.

fugep69sc68b.jpg

This episode cuts right into what it must be like to be a fugitive at the end of one's rope, when mental, physical and spiritual resources are virtually tapped out.  This, along with Part 2,  seems to me almost like a noirishly episodic novel, with succeeding scenes building and building to give a layered, nuanced picture.

Sometimes the titles of the shows are rather cryptic, but this time,  "Landscape with Running Figures" is perfectly descriptive!  I like the sense of place, and the panoramic views of the rolling countryside we get in this one.

fugep69sc65b.jpg       

Edited to add "Landscape with Running Figures, Part One" streaming free on youtube:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r1fiQcH-xtA

Esteemed Contributor

Re: THE FUGITIVE "LANDSCAPE WITH RUNNING FIGURES PART 1" DAVID JANSSEN MONDAY 2:00 A.M. EA

I enjoyed Part 1 and for me, so far, season 3 has been good.

What happened towards the end with the crash and Marie being injured was a surprising turn of events.  Kimble helping Gerard's wife was ironic.  I especially liked the scene when Marie said to Kimble "whoever you are, you are very kind".  If I remember correctly, this is the first time we have seen Gerard's wife.  Also, we have seen him with his son played by Kurt Russell, but in this one, we hear he has another child also.   Even for Gerard, the coldness and steadfastness he displayed when telling Jud Taylor's character that he was only interested in Kimble right now, was a bit much.

Kimble seemed to be at the end of his rope and totally worn out.  That scene of him walking in the rain summed it up.

Between Kimble and Gerard, which one was having a more difficult time?

Looking forward to part 2.

Honored Contributor

Re: THE FUGITIVE "LANDSCAPE WITH RUNNING FIGURES PART 1" DAVID JANSSEN MONDAY 2:00 A.M. EA

[ Edited ]

@twinsister  We saw  a different older actress as Mrs Gerard  in a previous epi when Gerard gets a call in the middle of the night and she is in the bedroom. I posted when that epi aired that there will be a different Mrs. Gerard in an upcoming epi (meaning this 2-parter).

I am glad I didn't post yesterday when @Oznell  posted because yesterday I would have posted that I didn't like this epi because it was too preposterous.  I think perhaps it "jumps the shark" into unbelievability  next week because I really did like last night's epi even down to some of the really interesting camera shots.

The opening scene in the rain with Kimble going to work at 2 a.m. as a dishwasherwas terrific. I loved the prologue. DJ did an incredible acting job (Barry Morse too with an excellent American accent) of portraying a man at the end-of-his-rope weary.  We feel so sorry for him. I liked how the scene with the kids was made so suspenseful, including Gerard looking for Kimble through that broken window.

I was surprised that Kimble, who usually springs into action to help anyone in need of medical aid, was slinking off away from the bus to escape and was slow to decide to help the woman moaning in distress. That was out of character for him.

Jud Taylor was in a previous hospital epi kissing a nurse in a closet if I recall.  And I had to laugh at one of the cops who had a "unibrow."

I'm looking forward to next week's epi to see if my memory of not liking this  2-parter has completely changed or whether the show becomes ridiculously not credible.

This season seems to have completely different writers from last season.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

I remember when we saw/heard Gerard's wife the first time @Pearlee  mentioned the next time we saw Mrs. Gerard it would be a different actress. I did not know it would be Barbara Rush, a longtime favorite of mine, so when she appeared on screen that confirmed for me this would be one I enjoyed.

My heart ached for Kimble this episode. He was exhausted - physically, mentally, and emotionally. Not only were his actions out of character when he started to walk away after the accident but even his dealings with the children - especially the older one who seemed so intent on finding out what Kimble had done - were not what we have come to expect. The child was also compassionate as we see in the photo when he is sitting next to the dejected Kimble and places his hand on Kimble's leg. 

Even when Kimble gets in the truck with the driver he can't muster enough energy to give the required one word noncommittal answers because of the need to close his eyes and have a few minutes of silence. Interesting that both the truck driver and the passenger on the bus assumed Kimble was a bum. The second man's continued use of the word "boy" when he addressed Kimble irked me. Why did he feel he was so superior to Kimble that he had to warn him he and the bus driver were going to count the money in Marie's purse to ensure he didn't steal it. Jerk!

Probably will add more on Gerard's behavior toward his wife and the officers who were attempting to assist him.

~~~"Patience is the power to do nothing when doing something won't do anything but make everything worse"~~~
Honored Contributor

@Tique wrote:

I remember when we saw/heard Gerard's wife the first time @Pearlee  mentioned the next time we saw Mrs. Gerard it would be a different actress. I did not know it would be Barbara Rush, a longtime favorite of mine, so when she appeared on screen that confirmed for me this would be one I enjoyed.

My heart ached for Kimble this episode. He was exhausted - physically, mentally, and emotionally. Not only were his actions out of character when he started to walk away after the accident but even his dealings with the children - especially the older one who seemed so intent on finding out what Kimble had done - were not what we have come to expect. The child was also compassionate as we see in the photo when he is sitting next to the dejected Kimble and places his hand on Kimble's leg. 

Even when Kimble gets in the truck with the driver he can't muster enough energy to give the required one word noncommittal answers because of the need to close his eyes and have a few minutes of silence. Interesting that both the truck driver and the passenger on the bus assumed Kimble was a bum. The second man's continued use of the word "boy" when he addressed Kimble irked me. Why did he feel he was so superior to Kimble that he had to warn him he and the bus driver were going to count the money in Marie's purse to ensure he didn't steal it. Jerk!

Probably will add more on Gerard's behavior toward his wife and the officers who were attempting to assist him.

@Tique. Glad you remembered my prior post about another Mrs. Gerard. I knew it was Rush but didn't want to give that away.

You made an excellent point about Kimble's interaction with the children. That didn't occur to me when I watched it but...so true. 

I did think when that man commented to Kimble about he better not steal Rush's  money that he was concerned about her money but let her drive off with a man who could easily rape her? And as it turns out he's a convicted killer!  😲

Honored Contributor

@twinsister,  I also liked Marie's recognition of Kimble's kindness!  It was a well-played little moment, with her wearily saying that, and Kimble for once then taking his eyes off the road to turn and look at her--  so well done!

Yes, it was a good move that they went with established talent Barbara Rush for this more involved, intense exposure of 'Mrs. Gerard'.  I seem to remember reading that DJ lobbied for her and that they were friends-- then I remembered this old photo from their studio days (that I posted once before), and bammo, there they are in the shot, along with future Mrs. Dani Janssen, among others!

tumblr_mmp4wkm7xp1qhftb6o1_500.jpg

@Pearlee,  I do think Part One of "Landscape" is overall, a bit better than Part Two, which has a creepy, sensationalist element.  But--  it also has something else, which I really love but can't mention till everyone's seen it, rats!   So not as "even" perhaps as Part I, but with compensations....

I love the points people are hitting on!  @Tique ,  ditto to what you said about the one word answers to that surly truck driver (poor Kimble seemed to have all he could do to conserve his strength), and I also liked the little boy touching Kimble and loathed that bus-riding Lothario trying to lord it over Kimble.

By the way, loved it when he was annoying Barbara Rush with his amorous attentions and she turns around and quells him with a 'look'.   She's kind of turned away from the camera, but I'm sure Barbara Rush could level a pretty lethal gaze whenever she wanted to....

Jud Taylor, (Sergeant Rainey) was in at least 4 episodes-- the department store one, the stolen baby one with Diana Hyland, the terminally ill Telly Savalas one, oh, and of course Part 2 of this.

Yep, back when we were 'mired' in a particularly uninspired stretch of Season 2,  I said, hang on for Season 3!   It and Season 1, as I said then, remain in my mind as high points of an already brillliant series.  More in terms of consistency--  every season had truly great shows, but One and Three probably had more of them, in my opinion. 

Esteemed Contributor

@Tique - I agree with what you said about Kimble's interaction with those kids.  I was surprsed that he walked out without thanking them, since they did save him from being caught.

@Pearlee - I don't remember you mentioning about a different Mrs. Gerard in a future episode.  My memory is now what it used to be - LOL!!

Have always been a fan of Barbara Rush.

Honored Contributor

Were any of you fascinated at the writers' conception of Lt. Gerard's wife, right off the bat?  That she would be so clearly alienated and at a breaking point-- obviously Gerard's obsession with Kimble had taken maximum toll on their marriage.... 

Not that I'm surprised!   But that scene with her robotically brushing her hair, drearily repeating his phrases to her back to him--  "If I eat breakfast, I'll feel better"....    Wow!

Gerard's disturbed by her attitude, but clearly has not been bothered enough by it to change his behavior....

I think Barbara Rush is perfect for this part.

Honored Contributor

@Oznell  And Jud Taylor was so astounded when Gerard was more concerned with chasing Kimble than finding his missing wife!  I found that a bit over the top and not real credible. 

Honored Contributor

Agreed, @Pearlee ,  that struck me wrong as well, and I think @twinsister thought it was too much also...