Honored Contributor

Re: THE FUGITIVE "EVERYBODY GETS HIT IN THE MOUTH SOMETIME" MONDAY 2:00 A.M. EASTERN METV

Hmmm, since you asked the rest of us to chime in,  @Tique ,  I'll say, I still think it is possible, that there was some kind of liaison.  Not based on the dialog you and @chloe4578 were referencing, though.

After you suggested it, @chloe4578 , it sort of clicked with a fleeting impression I had had while watching.  There's one point where Lucia "squeezes" Gus's face, I think when she's elated at the prospect of being given money (ha) to leave and go to Chicago.  It was a 'familiarity' with him, that had me idly wondering.

That, and a few other things, like the intensity of guilty responsibility he had.  There almost seemed 'more' than straight guilt over his role in the accident with Lucia's husband.  His emotions where she's concerned seemed turgid, inchoate, and there's (to me), just the suggestion of self-loathing mixed in, which he definitely would additionally have if he had succumbed to some transient affair with the likes of Lucia....

The fact that she's so frantically hungry for male attention, suggests to me that she might have flung herself at Gus, and he might have acquiesced, in a weak moment... plus, then she might figure she'd have an even more reliable meal ticket if she could rope him in.  

But of course, it's not spelled out, so I personally simply wouldn't rule "out" or "in" the possibility of some previous involvement. 

Regular Contributor

Re: THE FUGITIVE "EVERYBODY GETS HIT IN THE MOUTH SOMETIME" MONDAY 2:00 A.M. EASTERN METV

@Oznell 

I think the reason he was dressed that way was that he wore that jacket for his job.  He was supposed to be a dispatcher and dressed for the part. At the end of the day he put the suit jacket back on.  Let’s face it.  Kimble was very debonair, but I don’t remember if he wore a tie at work.  

Like you, I always liked Jack Klugman.  He had a natural quality that he brought to his characters which I found appealing in an actor.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@chloe4578   I watched both too but unlike you I still have the ME version. I used it to find the part of the conversation I quoted and then located it on YT. Did you listen at the position I posted? That's the last conversation Lucia and Gus had.

April is Autism Awareness/Acceptance month.
Honored Contributor

@Oznell   there are two distinct issues here. One is whether Lucia and Gus were ever involved, The other is whether Lucia knew that Gus was driving instead of her husband. I've said what I have to say on both issues so I'm done with those  but willing to discuss other things. 

Esteemed Contributor

I didn't get the impression that Lucia and Gus were involved romantically, even briefly,

Also didn't think that Lucia knew the truth behind her husband's death.  

Regular Contributor

@Tique 

It is possible, living in different parts of the country, that the version I watched on ME was different from yours.  Unfortunately I didn’t DVR ME so I have no comparison.  I still maintain that I know what I saw and will watch the UTube version again.

Regular Contributor

@Tique 

Just finished rewatching the episode. You were right and I’m wrong.  In that conversation between Lucia and Gus, she did think her husband was driving.  I didn’t hear Ken the first time around.  That was on UTube on @Oznell  link.  I did watch it on UTube, but not on her link.  

Anyway, since I didn’t save ME I’m assuming it was the same as I have no comparison.

Sorry for the confusion, it’s been a tough week

Honored Contributor

Hey, @chloe4578 ,  it's a stalwart poster who will come back and acknowledge error on a point of fact!   Good job!

Honored Contributor

This is something I enjoy - speculating and then sharing my reasons for why I believe as I do and reading everyone else's thoughts. Throwing out a few things which hopefully will extend the conversation.

• Do you think Gus thought that by getting Lucia to move it would absolve him of future financial requests?

• Would Lucia had ever stopped extorting money from Gus?

• One of the printed reviews on imbd states "Gus owns his own trucking company and barely can make ends meet. Because of this, he often breaks the law and has his drivers drive longer than the rules allow. Surely someone or some group of people are going to get killed because of Gus' actions. But through it all, Kimble is strangely loyal. Even when Gus becomes mentally unstable and violent towards him, Kimble is loyal. Even when Lucia (Geraldine Brooks) is very demanding and pushes Gus to make more flagrant violations of the law, he is loyal.

Overall, an interesting but morally suspect episode...one that left me confused since the writer seems to have violated an unwritten law concerning Kimble. Additionally, the ending is incredibly grim and downbeat...making this a less than thrilling installment in the series."

Agree or disagree?

Honored Contributor

@Tique  That longer paragraph from IMdb pretty much states what I expressed more succinctly above about Kimble being kind to a fault sometimes.  I did think this ending was sadder than most but that's life. And besides, the ending would have been sadder had Gus been a more likeable character. I didn't like him much.

I do think Lucia moving away would have helped Gus cut off her finances from him.  She would have had to write or call to request funds and it is easier to say "no" than in person ( and she can't grab his cheeks).  In short time she would have found some other guy wherever she moved to manipulate.