Honored Contributor

Re: THE FUGITIVE "END OF THE LINE" DAVID JANSSEN MONDAY 2:00 A.M. EASTERN METV

@twinsister wrote:

@Pearlee - I never thought about the milk assembly line in regards to the title - very good point!

You're right - we didn't talk back to our parents in our day and I remember that Telly Savalas episode.

Regarding what I said about the ending being unbelievable, I meant that I found Kimble going back to Unger's house was far fetched., not the sheriff letting him go.  As you said in previous episodes, there were similar instances when the sheriff releasing Kimble was more unbelievable.

Thanks for filling in the reason as to why she confessed to the murder.  I wonder of ME TV edits out a few minutes each week.  It's good you have the full version on your DVDs,  enjoy them.

@twinsister. Thanks for your kind words.  This viewing was the first time I realized all the meanings of that title (milk assembly line).  I'm sure, like me, you remember milk bottles and those cardboard lids on them! And milkmen delivering them.

I am very happy to own those unedited discs. I got pretty fed up with ME, and it appears my timing on when I ordered them was perfect!

Highlighted
Esteemed Contributor

@Pearlee - I clearly remember those milk bottles and the milkman delivering them to the metal box by our front door.  It was a special treat when there was chocolate milk in there for me!!

Your timing for having the DVDs is good.  You may have to fill in the blanks for us again.

Honored Contributor

@twinsister,  agreed --  I was so annoyed  that Kimble went back to the house, I was saying to my husband, 'WHY is he back there, why doesn't he just get out of there!'  Reminded me of when Kimble lingered and lingered in that hotel (in the episode where he worked for Richard Anderson) and that hotel manager's office of Ed Asner, when he knew that law enforcement was closing in.....

Although I do tend to see @Pearlee 's point about it not being terribly unbelievable that this sheriff would just let him go (although that bothered me slightly too.).  Other law enforcement types have let him escape on lesser pretexts...

Neil's pleading with Betty Jo at the end of this to "save him" from the authorities reminded me of last week when Earl Holliman tries to get back in the good graces of his fiancee, the battered and wised-up Collin Willcox...   thankfully, neither scoundrel's effort was successful.

Honored Contributor

Oh, forgot this part.  What I meant earlier about Betty Jo's attitude toward Neil earlier, was that until a certain point, she apparently still wanted to marry him, even after what had happened to her father!

Granted, love was blind and all that, and her fate as an unmarried pregnant woman would be harder in the Sixties without a mate, but still....   Hubby suggested she must have believed creepy Neil's account that it was self-defense, etc. But, as far as she knew, the fact remained that her already highly questionable, criminal boyfriend killed her father--  what a basis to start a marriage on...   

Honored Contributor

@twinsister. @Oznell 

It was cringeworthy when Kimble went back to the house when he should have gotten out of town. But oznell asked her husband WHY?  It was because Kimble being Kimble, he went to find proof that the father had given Prine the $500 he had overheard because the daughter refused to believe him at the police station when he told her. And so he does catchbPrine with it and it is only when the daughter sees it for herself that she's done with Prine. So in typical Kimble mode, he put the welfare of others before his own.

Honored Contributor

True, true, @Pearlee ,  and your account is exactly what hubby said to me when I was railing away about Kimble's needless risk!   I'm going to have to accept that Kimble is incorrigible (in a good way). 

Esteemed Contributor

@Pearlee - Very true about Kimble.  He puts himself at risk to help others

@Oznell - The female characters in the last two episodes shared the same view of themselves.  They both thought the poor excuses of men they were involved with, were the best they could get.  Especially, like you said, Betty Jo being pregnant had practically no chance of meeting someone else.  

Honored Contributor

@twinsister wrote:

@Pearlee - Very true about Kimble.  He puts himself at risk to help others

@Oznell - The female characters in the last two episodes shared the same view of themselves.  They both thought the poor excuses of men they were involved with, were the best they could get.  Especially, like you said, Betty Jo being pregnant had practically no chance of meeting someone else.  

@twinsister  I agree with both your paragraphs above. And in this case as well as many others, what we think is a rather dumb and possibly unbelievable thing Kimble did is what makes him an endearing character that we root for.

Honored Contributor

Very well-put,  @twinsister !   Definitely,  the last two episodes have the effect of being starkly cautionary tales against glomming on to 'someone, anyone', out of a misplaced sense of inadequacy or desperation....

And Kimble's always such an effective bearer of such a message to the female in question. Smiley Happy