Honored Contributor

THE FUGITIVE "DARK CORNER" DAVID JANSSEN, TUESDAY WELD MONDAY 2:00 A.M. EASTERN METV

2:00 a.m. Eastern, Monday--  The Fugitive  "Dark Corner" David Janssen, Tuesday Weld, Elizabeth MacRae, Paul Carr, Crahan Denton

MV5BM2I5Njk2ODEtNDNkZi00ZWEwLTgyMzQtZDM5YTdhYmZiMDdkXkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyODY2NDUyNjI@._V1_.jpg

Another dark night, another bus.  Suddenly the law arrives, searching, and Kimble must run into the unknown, South Dakota terrain.....  luckily, a remote dairy farm, and a girl, offer the promise of refuge.  Or do they?

Incidentally, to me, that bust (above) does not capture its handsome subject AT ALL.   It even has wavy hair, where Kimble's is straight.

It must have been a coup for "The Fugitive" to get actress Tuesday Weld.  I have to confess that for all of her "cult" status, I've for some reason never seen one of her films, not even "Pretty Poison".  Over the years she's acquired a mystique for film buffs, perhaps a little bit like another off-beat star, Jean Seberg.  Based on her performance here, I'd say she can do a decent job, but I don't quite get the hoopla.  (But then, I don't "get it" about James Dean, either...)

Spoiler
By the way, has ever a man run into more sociopaths than Dr. Richard Kiimble on his fugitive flight?  For a relatively small percentage of the population, they are positively flung across his zig zag path...

I've always loved the name "Tuesday Weld"--  hard to imagine a more perfect one for an actress!

You'll note a few vague similarities to the plot of "The Garden House" here, I think, transposed from tony Connecticut to the farming heartland.

MV5BMGMyNzE0ZDktZDQ2OS00ZmU5LTlkOGQtZmRkZGIwNTI3YjVmXkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyODY2NDUyNjI@._V1_.jpg

The other principals --  Elizabeth MacRae, Paul Carr, and Crahan Denton--  are immediately recognizable to classic TV fans.  All are good here.  Paul Carr has been especially adept in his career at sketching in a basically likeable character who turns out to be susceptible, and weak.  "Weakness" versus a certain kind of "strength"-- those are a couple of key elements in this story, I think...

I like the actress Elizabeth MacRae.  She's very lovely in her own way, and they had to do a lot of 'toning down' to tamp her down enough to be the hard-working, "overlooked" sister.

MV5BYmZkMmZlMzItZTliNi00M2NmLWJjNWUtYTFjZTY0ZDk3MDNlXkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyODY2NDUyNjI@._V1_.jpg   

But her character is distorted, as each member of the household is, by the ramifications of a destructive secret that is being held close by family members....   It's this kind of dysfunction that Kimble has all too often stumbled into!

"Dark Corner" live streaming free:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qskeAJOkjIU

Trusted Contributor

Re: THE FUGITIVE "DARK CORNER" DAVID JANSSEN, TUESDAY WELD MONDAY 2:00 A.M. EASTERN METV

@Oznell , Always LOVED THE FUGITIVE. May I add a message to your blog ? I want to send a sincere THANK YOU to Susan on the Q Social Team. I personally think the Social Team are the real workers at the Q. They always try to help. I cannot mention all their names. Wayne, Susan and all. The Q is fortunate they have a staff of people, like you, helping their customers. They are ON THE BALL> Also, thank you oznell. I don't know how to start a blog and I appreciate your allowing me to tag on to YOU,

Honored Contributor

Re: THE FUGITIVE "DARK CORNER" DAVID JANSSEN, TUESDAY WELD MONDAY 2:00 A.M. EASTERN METV

[ Edited ]

Oh, of course, @sligo ,  delighted to have you!  And your kind message to the moderators, which I'm sure they'd appreciate very much.

I went for a very long time not knowing how to start a thread either.   If you ever decide you'd like to, it's not difficult. 

You can select a category--  "Pet Lovers" or "Tv and Movies" or whatever.  When it pops up, there's a button at the top that says "New Message".   Just click on that, and your own little message square will pop up.   Type your title in the title bar, and then you can type the body of your message in the square provided.  Click the red "post" button at the bottom, and you're done.

I'm glad to discover another Fugitive fan!

Edited to add:   It occurred to me that the mods probably won't see your message here (I don't think they read posts unless they are reported to them for some reason).  They might see this if I put an @ in front of one of their names.  So, let's see if this works:   @Susan--QVC, @sligo has a message for you just above this one on the thread.

This might not work either, since @Susan-QVC probably has other letters/words in her screen nickname.  But it's worth the old college try....

Esteemed Contributor

@Oznell - Once again a great synopsis!  Like you, I haven't seen Tuesday Weld in any movie.  I do remember her from the Dobie Gillis TV show and an episode of Route 66.  The other cast members look familiar.

My DVR set, but if I have time today I may watch it on YouTube.  If I do, I will not post any comments until tomorrow.

Honored Contributor

@Oznell I watched this episode last night and all through it I thought about "Pretty Poison," a film she made with Tony Perkins, so it is funny you mentioned it (I wasn't going to until our Monday discussion, but since you did...) Tuesday became famous from Dobie Gillis playing Thalia (as I just noticed @twinsister mentioned as I was writing). She is from a very notable Weld family in Massachusetts who go back to very early American settlers. She is gorgeous but I never did think she could act! And I still don't!

Also, since you mention the bust now, I too don't think it resembles Kimble except for his distinct hairline but wondered why Kimble was even willing to sit for it with the possibility he'd be recognized (like having a photo taken).

@Tique. I thought of you immediately when Kimble lights up a cigarette early in the show.

Paul Carr is someone who was in a lot of TV shows back then but I never remember his name and he always reminds me of some other actor (here at first I thought he was Burt Brinkerhoff who is in a Fuge episode).

I do like this one, although it's not a favorite (oznell you didn't state whether you like it). Janssen looks very good in this one and I love how he doesn't buy into....well I'll save any more about that.

@sligo welcome! So glad you are also a Fugitive fan. I agree the Social Team here is excellent. There are several recent threads devoted to that subject here on the boards, usually in the Q Talk or Customer Care forums which you can find to the left on the board.

Honored Contributor

Meant to add: Elizabeth MacCrae reminded me of Joanne Woodward. Could have been cast as her sister in something!
Honored Contributor

@Oznell   I also watched last night. A more accurate statement is I watched most of it last night, got a phone call and much later decided to watch the last remaining 20 or so minutes this morning. I liked your comparison to "The Garden House".  Not sure I would have thought of it if I hadn't read your post.

@Pearlee  I liked this one. Will expound tomorrow. Your brief description of Tuesday Weld is right on point,  "She is gorgeous but I never did think she could act!!".

More pictures:

David Janssen in The Fugitive (1963)

Tuesday Weld and David Janssen in The Fugitive (1963)

Paul Carr and Elizabeth MacRae in The Fugitive (1963)

John McLiam in The Fugitive (1963)

April is Autism Awareness/Acceptance month.
Honored Contributor

Thanks for the additional photos @Tique.
I'm glad you liked this one. 👍

I think Tuesday's voice always sounds whiney, no matter what she is saying or trying to convey.
Honored Contributor

Here is a shocker! Among Weld's husbands were violinist Pinchas Zukerman and Dudley Moore!
Honored Contributor

@twinsister--  thanks for the vote of confidence-- you're a kind soul.  I was totally forgetting about Tuesday Weld being on "Dobie Gillis"!  Now wracking my brain trying to think who played "Zelda",  the nerdy character...  at least I think it was Zelda.... I believe she later went into politics in California, but not sure...

Also forgot to mention Crahan Denton's role in "To Kill a Mockingbird".   Excellent actor.

@Pearlee,  right on point about Tuesday Weld!!  I kept watching and thinking, what am I missing?  She's just barely ok in this, (in a role that might be easier for her to play than some others) and that's probably because of the good acting going on around her...

As for liking or not,  I'll say I found it pretty absorbing, with the family dynamics, and all.  As usual, parts of it do strain credulity, but we've almost come to expect that on the Fuge!  The first time I saw this years ago, I remember being shocked. Didn't really relish re-visiting it, but it did keep my interest. 

As usual, you picked great pictures, @Tique , and I can't wait to hear what your piece of dialogue is going to be-- there are some choice passages in this one!   I'm going to have to put my next comment to you in a spoiler:

Spoiler
Wondering if you or anyone noticed that the final version of the sculpture that you posted, is a better, more refined version of her first effort, shown at the top?  After she deliberately wrecked it so the sheriff wouldn't recognize Kimble, she must have perfected her work, ha.

I thought one excellent little bit of business was her look of private glee after modifying said sculpture to fool the sheriff, fully enjoying the deception as a sort of game...