Honored Contributor

THE FUGITIVE "CONCRETE EVIDENCE" MON 1/24 2:00 A.M. ET D. JANSSEN

[ Edited ]

"Concrete Evidence" starring David Janssen, costarring Celeste Holm, Jack Warden, Harold Gould

Kimble comes to yet another construction site looking for work. This one is in Northern Nebraska (DJ is from Nebraska).  Holm, taking applicants, rejects Dexter  (Kimble) for having no experience. But Warden, the owner, recognizes Dexter as Kimble from a Wanted poster and insists he be hired. Obviously Warden has something up his sleeve.

And that's not the only thing up his sleeve. The townspeople hate him.  10 years ago a movie theater built by Warden's company collapsed, killing and injuring some kids watching a matinee. It was alleged that Warden used inferior cement but he was exonerated from guilt, just barely.  He is now building a road, and also a secretive motel that he is keeping under wraps. And he also has a bad heart.  The plot thickens....

Holm and Warden were in many TV shows and movies from this era, and both had very long careers. Warden went on to be in Heaven Can Wait and The Shawshank Redemption, among many other films.

Things to look out for:

@twinsister   I loved when Holm rolled paper with carbon paper into the typewriter. Oh it was so hard to roll paper in straight!

I recognize the models of cars now from seeing them on the road.

I was surprised to see Holm's full slip (remember those?)  showing through her sheer evergreen colored blouse -- surprised that the network allowed that.

Holm's  beautiful several Irish knit sweaters she wears are just as in style today, although their length is rather short.

So many men wore eyeglasses just like Harold Gould's.  Buddy Holly frames! Steve Allen too, and many men I knew in real life including my favorite college professor.

That's DJ's stunt double on the roof, with a very slick transition to DJ on the ground; kudos for that execution.

I did not like this epi for the same reason I've never liked the film Who's Afraid of Virginia Woolf? with Taylor and Burton. It's an hour of constant bickering and people's nastiness toward each other...Ugh! Very good acting though, esp by Holm.

Honored Contributor

Re: THE FUGITIVE "CONCRETE EVIDENCE" MON 1/24 2:00 A.M. ET D. JANSSEN

Epilog Photo

April is Autism Awareness/Acceptance month.
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Tique  Unable to see the 1st photo (i just see an envelope thingy in the corner) but the rest are perfect!  You even got a photo of the prettiest of all the Irish sweaters Celeste wears, and her slip showing through her sheer blouse!. And the fire photo is great! Thank you.

Honored Contributor

@Tique - I am impressed you posted all the pictures of scenes that @Pearlee had mentioned. You caught the entire episode in pictures.

I just wanted to add, a bit off topic BUT I had watched the TCM silent movie "The Flying Fleet". It was over about 1:45AM. I wasn't tired so I figured I would watch The Fugitive at 2:00AM. So turned channel to ME TV. And on the screen was Barry Morse. WHAT! Did they change the time for The Fugitive?!?!?!

The show was The Alfred Hitchcock Hour. What a shock to see him and he had a French accent. The episode also starred Robert Redford.

Esteemed Contributor

I enjoyed this one more than I thought I would, especially since I'm not a fan of the rural set episodes.  I thought it odd that Pat would get the poster about Kimble in the mail. I guess it was being sent out all over the country.   Is that the first time we have seen someone not in law enforcement receive the poster?  How convenient that Pat saw the poster, and Kimble was right outside the window.

To me, this episode wasn't so predictable, even though Kimble's medical knowledge was the basis for the storyline.  There was no female smiten with him, and I didn't think Pat and Pearl were married.  Plus, Pearl told Kimble the picture was of her daughter, not her and Pat's.  The biggest surprise was the secret that the motel was going to be a hospital.  When Pat said to Kimble that he didn't even ask him if he was guilty, I thought Kimble would say his usual - "I didn't do it", but he just walked out.

The end was the same, with Kimble being able to escape with someone's help.

I wouldn't watch it again.

@Tique - thanks again for the great pictures.

@Pearlee - I sure do remember my mother wearing full slips. Pearl's sheer blouse was unusual to see for that time and the setting of the episode.  She wasn't living in the city,  it was a remote location.  I did like her blue sweater.

Honored Contributor

@twinsister wrote:

I enjoyed this one more than I thought I would, especially since I'm not a fan of the rural set episodes.  I thought it odd that Pat would get the poster about Kimble in the mail. I guess it was being sent out all over the country.   Is that the first time we have seen someone not in law enforcement receive the poster?  How convenient that Pat saw the poster, and Kimble was right outside the window.

To me, this episode wasn't so predictable, even though Kimble's medical knowledge was the basis for the storyline.  There was no female smiten with him, and I didn't think Pat and Pearl were married.  Plus, Pearl told Kimble the picture was of her daughter, not her and Pat's.  The biggest surprise was the secret that the motel was going to be a hospital.  When Pat said to Kimble that he didn't even ask him if he was guilty, I thought Kimble would say his usual - "I didn't do it", but he just walked out.

The end was the same, with Kimble being able to escape with someone's help.

I wouldn't watch it again.

@Tique - thanks again for the great pictures.

@Pearlee - I sure do remember my mother wearing full slips. Pearl's sheer blouse was unusual to see for that time and the setting of the episode.  She wasn't living in the city,  it was a remote location.  I did like her blue sweater.

First off everyone, I WILL post a thread for tonight's epi later this e ening. I've been unusually busy this past week and only just niw finished re-watching it. I have to go out for a while but will post later when I get back. Sorry for any inconvenience.

I wanted to respond to @drizzellla  and @twinsister  all week too but just didn't have a chance til now. Sorry, drizzella you couldn't see last week's show.

Twinsister, I didn't think Pat got the Wanted posters in the mail but hadn't until now had a chance to replay my disc.  He didn't. He asked the accountant where he had filed "those Wanted posters that the sheriff dropped off a few days ago."  It does make sense that the sheriff dropped them off, since Patton was hiring people --some itiberant- for his construction crew. And the posters had gone to law enforcement.

I'm glad you enjoyed this one (I guess the couple's bickering didn't bother you as much as it did me.  I do remember that all those years ago, when I first saw this epi, I too was surprised that Warden and Holm were married in the show, and also that the "motel" was a hospital.  

I'll post tonight's thread a little later.

Esteemed Contributor

@Pearlee - Thanks for clarifying about the wanted posters.  It is weird, because before I posted my review, I replayed the beginning to make sure I didn't miss anything about the posters.  I didn't hear him asking the accountant either time.  It does make sense the police would drop them off to him.  Maybe I need to have my hearing checked!

Also, glad the reason you didn't respond this week was due to being busy,  since I was afraid maybe you weren't feeling well.

Honored Contributor

@twinsister wrote:

@Pearlee - Thanks for clarifying about the wanted posters.  It is weird, because before I posted my review, I replayed the beginning to make sure I didn't miss anything about the posters.  I didn't hear him asking the accountant either time.  It does make sense the police would drop them off to him.  Maybe I need to have my hearing checked!

Also, glad the reason you didn't respond this week was due to being busy,  since I was afraid maybe you weren't feeling well.

@twinsister   Awww... thank you for your concern. 🥰

I wonder if that was another small MeTV cut, if you didn't hear it either time! (I'm still not home, back in a little while to start thread).