Highlighted
Honored Contributor

Re: THE FUGITIVE, "COME WATCH ME DIE" DAVID JANSSEN BRUCE DERN MONDAY 2:00 A.M. EASTERN ME

@Oznell. I love The Fugitive where Janice Rule is his love interest ( but oh I was so jealous of her). He's a trucker and she's the dispatcher who is on a prison work release program. He brings her a present of 2 baseball tickets pinned to a troll doll!

She was in another episode too as a newspaper reporter but I like the trucker episode. And they go off for a weekend together -- a real but short lived romance!
Esteemed Contributor

Re: THE FUGITIVE, "COME WATCH ME DIE" DAVID JANSSEN BRUCE DERN MONDAY 2:00 A.M. EASTERN ME

[ Edited ]

@Pearlee @Oznell  

I was 11 when The Fugitive began and remember watching it with my family, especially the series finale which was a huge event.  Since then I was a big fan of Janssen and even went to see his movie The Green Berets just because he was in it.  Except for the finale, I don't remember any of the episodes, so I have been enjoying them recently.  He was so perfect in the role, that when I saw the movie version with Harrison Ford, I kept comparing him to Janssen and didn't enjoy it.

I'm also a huge fan of Ben Gazzara and watched Run For Your Life with my mom. For me, the difference between the two characters was that Richard Kimble's determination to find the killer made you root for him and feel sorry for him at the same time.   While Gazzara's character always conveyed some sadness no matter the episode and there was no chance of a happy ending, so there was nothing to root for.  COZI TV aired Run For Your Life a few years ago and I taped most of the episodes.  I remember the episode with his wife, Janice Rule.   I had read Gazzara's autobiography and he said Janice Rule advised him not to do the show, but his movie roles were scarce at that time and that made him do it.  He was not happy doing the series and said he argued with the directors over the quality of the scripts.  I wish one of the retro stations would air the show again.

Honored Contributor

@twinsister. Too funny - I also went to see The Green Berets just because he was in it and also Warning Shot, a mystery which I sure enjoyed a heck of a lot more than Green Berets. Since The Fugitive was off by then I went to see Warning Shot --ahem-- more than once. 😊
Esteemed Contributor

@Pearlee - LOL!  Being a teenage girl, I was definitely not interested in war movies, but he was worth it.  I don't remember seeing Warning Shot and wonder how I missed that one.

Honored Contributor

@twinsister Check Amazon and Ebay for DVDs and YouTube (you might be able to watch it on the latter).
You and I are the same age. 🙂
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Pearlee wrote:
@Oznell. I love The Fugitive where Janice Rule is his love interest ( but oh I was so jealous of her). He's a trucker and she's the dispatcher who is on a prison work release program. He brings her a present of 2 baseball tickets pinned to a troll doll!

She was in another episode too as a newspaper reporter but I like the trucker episode. And they go off for a weekend together -- a real but short lived romance!

@Pearlee   The Walls of Night and Wife Killer.

Honored Contributor

I remember Janice Rule in those "Fugitive" episodes, especially the ambitious reporter, and remember she somewhat annoyed me-- maybe she had a little too much chemistry with David Janssen in the trucker episode!!

It's funny, b/c I really like him with some other actresses like Suzanne Pleshette, Janis Paige, Susan Oliver, and the upcoming Joanna Frank, and  and don't 'resent' them, ha, like with Janice Rule....

Making a note to look up "Warning Shot".... 

@twinsister,  I'm glad Janice Rule didn't talk Ben Gazzara out of doing the series--  MeTV should definitely air "Run for Your Life".

Honored Contributor

@Oznell I didn't like her in the reporter one either, which I think aired before the romantic getaway truck driver one because that one was in color (last season). Do you remember the troll gift? It was in the midst of troll heyday! 😁 I had the exact same troll doll but KImble didn't give me mine. I think the head of the Mod Squad guy was the boss of the trucking firm (Tige Andrews?). Too lazy to look up the episode.

I watched Run For Your Life regularly (we only had 3 TV stations back then) and don't recall the last one at all. I don't think he ever died on the show though. Gosh he was so low key.
Honored Contributor

Now that you mention it, @Pearlee ,  I do remember that troll!  It was kind of a sweet and dopey gesture...

Yes, I'm sure it was Tige Andrews-- good memory!

The thing about Ben Gazzara as "Paul Bryan" (or Bryant?), his situation to me, lends a certain poignance to everything he does.  That death sentence is hanging over him, yet he's pursuing life with a vengeance.  It helps that he seems to have unlimited funds, and "glamorous" hobbies like race car driving, etc.  He's a globe-hopper...  Only one episode comes to mind--  I think in it he had a romance with the ill-fated Claudine Longet, Andy Williams' one-time wife....

Esteemed Contributor

@Oznell  - the episodes with Claudine Longet (there were 2) were some of my favorites.

I hope ME TV airs the Fugitive episodes with Janice Rule.