Honored Contributor

Re: THE FUGITIVE "BLOODLINE" DAVID JANSSEN, GEORGE VOSKOVEC MONDAY 2:00 A.M. EASTERN METV

I caught the statement when Kimble replied "He didn't".  The intriguing thing was Vostovec was already about 90% sure of that even before he saw the care and expertise Kimble had used to administer to Colleen.

April is Autism Awareness/Acceptance month.
Esteemed Contributor

Re: THE FUGITIVE "BLOODLINE" DAVID JANSSEN, GEORGE VOSKOVEC MONDAY 2:00 A.M. EASTERN METV

[ Edited ]

@Pearlee  - yes, I did hear the comment Vosovec made to him. Good point about the suitcase slowing him down.

@Oznell  - I remember Brooke Bundy.  Another actress who was in a lot of early TV shows.  Another one was Anne Helm - remember her?

@Tique - Very true about the writers.

Honored Contributor

@Tique. About the intriguing thing... it was Kimble's "bloodline" that indicated he wasn't capable of murder. 👍
Honored Contributor

asRe: THE FUGITIVE "BLOODLINE" DAVID JANSSEN, GEORGE VOSKOVEC MONDAY 2:00 A.M. EASTERN METV

@Tique, @Pearlee , @mousiegirl , @twinsister ,   I'm just so thrilled we have a group actually willing to watch and comment on episodes, I can't tell you!  I know no one "in real life",  (other than my immediate family, who I've managed to hook, somewhat, on the Fuge) who's that interested in this show.  So I love when people clock in with their various observations-- huge fun.  Plus it's great to be able to check my reactions against those of others, and to ask questions...

@Tique,  what you said about knowing what he'd do rang so true with me-- I immediately thought of the time when he runs into Bethel Leslie who made a request of him back in his "old life"-- and he had refused her request, for which she forever resented him.  I knew, the way the character of Kimble was written, that he would have refused...

@Pearlee,  I had forgotten about Ihnat in that episode!  What a memory bank you have.

@twinsister,  Anne Helm is one name that did stump me!  But looked her up and immediately recognized her-- wasn't she always playing one kittenish little ingenue or another?

@mousiegirl,  he seemed to travel light most of the time, and could ditch belongings, seemingly without a regret, in an instant.. something I would be loath to do, ha.  But as long as he could get to a drugstore to buy his black "shoe polish" hair dye to color away his gray hair, what more did he need?

Honored Contributor

@Oznell It is scary how much alike we think. 😯 First both thinking the word kooky to use for Debbie Reynolds and now-- the black hair dye has been going through my mind in each post on this thread about Kimble's hasty departures and leaving things behind! There is one episode where Gerard searches Kimble's room in a boarding house I think it was and finds his black hair dye (can't remember now if Kimble had already fled or was still residing in that room but just temporarily out when Gerard found the dye)

Percy Rodriguez, another name you mentioned, played a doctor in one Fuge episode.

And oh, I know what request Kimble refused and yes, it would be in his character to refuse.
Esteemed Contributor

@Oznell  - I enjoy discussing this show too and no one in my home watches it with me.

You described Anne Helm's roles perfectly - kittenish.  I'm always looking up these forgotten actors on IMDB to see what became of them.  A little trivia - at one time Anne Helm and Brooke Bundy were sisters-in-law!

Honored Contributor

Since I am seeing these episodes for the first time, one observation jumps out at me during many episodes. It was already mentioned. The fact that not only does he have a suitcase with quite a few items to pack but that he leaves it behind. And then in the next episode he has a complete wardrobe, new suitcase AND his hair dye.

I have never colored my hair but in the 1960s was hair dye in every drug store a common thing? Plus able to buy a complete wardrobe in every town?

He always seemed to have to run before he ever got paid but he seemed to have no trouble paying for his "new outfits" every episode.

One final observation, he sure runs into people who are suspicious of him.

Honored Contributor

@drizzellla. The episodes happen once a week on TV but in "Kimble life" periods of time happened in between. Thus, next week when we see him in different clothes, in a different part of the country, and of course at a different job, time has elapsed wherein he presumably worked at jobs and bought different clothes.

LOL and yes hair dye was a very common thing in every drug store in 1963 when The Fugitive premiered. I think even Clairol was around back then in the "dark ages." ( Remember, I watched the first run of these. I was there!)

But since you mention money, I always did think that for a transient fugitive living off odd jobs, he was very generous. When he is with a woman he always pays (perhaps because in those days men always did pay). Remember at the end of The Girl From Little Egypt when he leaves Pamela Tiffin at the restaurant he threw money down on the table? That wasn't even a date! He is always paying for things yet works only odd jobs. I will say that men did always pay.

Lastly we have to just let some things slide as '"literary license" to enjoy the story.
Honored Contributor

Now I'm wracking my brain to think of how many times I've seen him with a suitcase, @drizzellla !   It does seem to be a 'hit or miss' thing.  Presumably, there would be times when he would be leaving a town or a job, when he was NOT being chased by law enforcement, and you could imagine for those times he could pack a proper suitcase...

The thing I wonder about is, when he had to drive, perhaps for a job, what did he do for a driver's licence?  Maybe they explain that somewhere in the series-- can't remember...   And all those times you need to supply I.D. of some sort-- he must have had social security cards and such "faked up" for those times.  In the Sixties, just as now, I imagine there were crooked places where you could get stuff like that, for a price...

Honored Contributor

Yeah, @Pearlee ,  I find that interesting in his social situations too, that he would take people to nice restaurants, etc.  He probably saved his money like a demon!  And he was always staying in inexpensive rooming houses, or "living in", probably rent-free, as a household employee, etc.  When he went to Alaska, the narrator intoned that he was going to a job where he could make a lot of money, in a short period of time.  So maybe the "fat" times balanced out the "lean" times...