Honored Contributor

THE FUGITIVE "AN APPLE A DAY" DAVID JANSSEN MONDAY 2:00 A.M. EASTERN METV

fugep68sc22b.jpg

2:00 a.m. Eastern--  The Fugitive "An Apple a Day"   David Janssen, Arthur O'Connell, Sheree North, Kim Darby, Bill Quinn, Walter Baldwin, Amzie Strickland

In a strikingly filmed, cross-country flight from law enforcement, Kimble sprains his ankle, loses consciousness, and finds himself in the home of a country naturopath (Arthur O'Connell) who treats his ankle and offers refuge.  How could Kimble know that his recovery there would cause him conflict both professional and personal....

fugep68sc07b.jpg

You'll remember that repeat "Fugitive" performer Arthur O'Connell was so good in his previous outing earlier in the series, in "Tug of War".   Here, while quite different, his character of "Dr. Josephus Adams" shares an interesting point of similarity or two with that earlier character....     

Hmmmm--  how many female characters of every age have we seen direct this sort of gaze on the apparently oblivious Dr. Kimble.....

fugep68sc24b.jpg

Kim Darby, (the Sixties' favorite "troubled" adolescent), as Dr. Adams' neice "Sharon", and beautiful Sheree North as his wife, "Marianne" round out this seemingly cohesive little family.

fugep68sc33b.jpg

But as usual, all is not as it seems....

fugep68sc35b.jpg 

Sheree North's character of Adams' wife reminds me just a little of previous Fuge-ite Angie Dickinson, maybe a little around the cheekbones and the mouth, and for some reason, even in black-and-white here, her hair looks like it might have Angie's 'strawberry' cast....

Hey-- I just realized that two people in the cast of this episode are future "Mary Tyler Moore" players--  one is Sheree North,  an earthy cabaret singer who dated "Lou Grant" for a while--  and another infrequent one I'll call a 'mystery character'--  can anyone tell who that other one is?

"An Apple a Day",  streaming live on youtube:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IMgr8c5mEIk

Esteemed Contributor

Re: THE FUGITIVE "AN APPLE A DAY" DAVID JANSSEN MONDAY 2:00 A.M. EASTERN METV

@Oznell - I laughed at the two pictures of Kim Darby and Sheree North gazing at Kimble!  He attracts young and old!! I agree that Sheree North sort resembles Angie Dickinson because of the hair color.  You described Kim Darby perfectly as playing troubled teens in the '60's.  She was in two episodes of RFYL where she was definitely a troubled teen.

Looks interesting. 

Honored Contributor

Well, I had totally forgotten that Kim Darby was on RFYL, @twinsister , thanks for that reminder--  she did seem to 'make the rounds' on TV in her default role of teenage angst.

Ha, ha, 'the gaze'.   Perchance a few of us have leveled that same absorbed, lambent stare at a "Kimble"-filled screen.....

Esteemed Contributor

The way you describe things @Oznell is  marvelous. I can't wait to see this episode.  I'm not sure about your question who is the other character? 

Honored Contributor

Thanks for that encouragement, kind @godi !    Let's tease a little longer and see if anyone knows who the other Mary Tyler Moore player is in this.....  I promise to reveal, if no one else does.

Honored Contributor

@Oznell  I don't ever think Sheree North looks like Angie D. Because AD is gorgeous and I think SN has a funny looking mouth that is not very attractive but I do see the hair resemblance. She is in one of my favorite Fuge epis, Walls of Night, with Janice Rule in the last season.

i remember Kim Darby's other Fuge epi better than this one, where she plays a young unwed mother with a sick baby who lives with her religious zealot father. Speaking of Darby, this is from a very long interview online entitled The Mouse That Charmed: An Evening With Kim Darby.  She was in the film Generation (with our boy DJ), a film I've never seen!  From the interview when asked about that film:

"I loved [lead actor] David Janssen because I had done two Fugitive [episodes] with him and he was so funny, you have no idea. And of course [co-star] Peter Duel and I fell in love in that movie, for real. We were engaged and I [long pause] was not with him when that horrible incident happened [Duel's suicide New Year's Eve 1971]."

Honored Contributor

Ah, interesting, @Pearlee --  I think she's very attractive, with sort of an unconventional European or continental look.  Seems to look quite different from role to role:

Sheree_North_1975.JPG

Fascinating quotes from Kim Darby!  So even she went for DJ's legendary humor and charm!  Boy, these ladies who worked with him should have had their own club, ha. 

Esteemed Contributor

@Oznell  - Was the other Mary Tyler Moore character the coroner?

Just watched the Youtube version.  Will comment tomorrow.

Honored Contributor

Bingo, ding, ding, ding, you win the prize, sharp-eyed @twinsister !  

The coroner is played by Bill Quinn, who also appeared a few times as the physician-dad of "Mary Richards" on the MTM show....   Very good!

Esteemed Contributor

I enjoyed this episode.  At first I thought Marianne and Josephus were an odd match, but then it was clear she was with him for the money.  Her scenes with Kimble made me laugh.  Subtlety was definitelty not her strong suit!  While watching, I thought Sheree North resembled Dorothy Malone more than Angie Dickinson.  

For someone who claimed to have experience only as an orderly, I think Kimble's comments about medicine was taking a chance on his part. 

The one thing that I felt was a little implausible was Kimble not getting on the bus, but instead going back to help Sharon.  He caught the warning signs about her illness when she displayed irritability with him by the bee hives, her sleepiness and then fainting.  He just can't ignore someone who needs his help.

I liked the end scene with Josephus and how they helped each other.