Honored Contributor

Re: THE BEATLES GET BACK -TRAILER IS ONLINE

[ Edited ]

Just read in Variety that being released tomorrow is a coffee table book regarding the documentary with Beatles quotes from it, and more importantly,  a "sprawling 6 CD boxed set." I assume this means a boxed set of the documentary?  Good news for those who don't want to sign up for Disney+  even for a month (although $7.99 will be a heck of a lot cheaper than the boxed set!)

(Or maybe the boxed set is just Beatles music CDs? Don't know)

Trusted Contributor

Just saw the trailer tonight!  I, too, will fork over $7.99 for previously unseen footage of my favorite band ever!

I loved 'em hairy! @Pearlee

Trusted Contributor

@Pearlee wrote:

@dulwich wrote:

@Pearlee   I just saw the trailer for this and it looks great!  Some superb footage - saw a peek of my lovely Linda - even I am gonna record this are you impressed!  Lol

@dulwich   I hope everyone saw the same trailer online thar I did, in which at the end of it, Peter Jackson explained how the doc was delayed by COVID last year and to make up for the wait (it was originally going to be in theaters) he showed additional parts of the doc, not in the trailer, and they were even more fun than the trailer! The Lovely Linda and also her little daughter Heather whom Paul lifts up a couple of times, seeming to adore her; John and Paul dancing playfully together, etc. It reminded me of  A Hard Days Night with the Beatles goofing around playfully. I must see this! So happy dulwich that you too think it looks really good!

Funny, the Beatles  Anthology series came out at Thanksgiving time years ago, and now this at Thanksgiving. Almost 60 years after they became famous the Beatles are still a ratings draw (as Paul proved to be for Corden's carpool karaoke).

The Beatles: Get Back - A Sneak Peek from Peter Jackson 

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@GrailSeeker wrote:

@Pearlee wrote:

@dulwich wrote:

@Pearlee   I just saw the trailer for this and it looks great!  Some superb footage - saw a peek of my lovely Linda - even I am gonna record this are you impressed!  Lol

@dulwich   I hope everyone saw the same trailer online thar I did, in which at the end of it, Peter Jackson explained how the doc was delayed by COVID last year and to make up for the wait (it was originally going to be in theaters) he showed additional parts of the doc, not in the trailer, and they were even more fun than the trailer! The Lovely Linda and also her little daughter Heather whom Paul lifts up a couple of times, seeming to adore her; John and Paul dancing playfully together, etc. It reminded me of  A Hard Days Night with the Beatles goofing around playfully. I must see this! So happy dulwich that you too think it looks really good!

Funny, the Beatles  Anthology series came out at Thanksgiving time years ago, and now this at Thanksgiving. Almost 60 years after they became famous the Beatles are still a ratings draw (as Paul proved to be for Corden's carpool karaoke).

The Beatles: Get Back - A Sneak Peek from Peter Jackson 

@GrailSeeker  Yes that's it! Peter Jackson's Sneak Peek montage from the 56  hours of tapes that were found --- it's better than the trailer. The Fab Four goofing around having lighthearted fun making the album! See why it reminded me of A Hard Day's Night? Except these guys are around 30 yrs old now still acting like young lads. (Ringo sure looks hung over! )  Loved seeing a youn Ig George Martin in the turtleneck sweater.  Did you notice one of  the famous Beatles gray suits hanging next to Jackson?

Does anyone know who the young, goodlooking black (I almost wrote African American but they are in London) man is who played the piano?  I keep thinking it should be someone I know (famous). He is in the trailer too.

Thanks so much for finding this really fun link. (I still hate the hairy Beatles though. Esp Paul. As I said upthread, why hide that beautiful face?)

Yes about shelling out the $7.99 for Disney+. Problem now is how does a subscription month run? Since the airing is at the end of Nov, I'd like to start my month close to air date so I can see it multiple times for a month, rather than start a subscription Nov 1st. When I signed up for a free trial month of Hulu to watch the McCartney doc, I signed up just before it started, mid month. Don't know about Disney+.

Trusted Contributor

The black guy you're wondering about @Pearlee  is Billy Preston.  He had that song "Will It Go Round in Circles" around 1973.  According to Wikipedia:

Relationship with the Beatles[edit]

Preston first met the Beatles as a 16-year-old in 1962, while part of Little Richard's touring band, when their manager Brian Epstein organized a Liverpool show, at which the Beatles opened. The Washington Post explained their subsequent meeting:

They'd hook up again in 1969, when the Beatles were about to break up while recording the last album they released, Let It Be (they would later record Abbey Road, which was released prior to Let It Be). George Harrison, a friend of Preston, had quit, walked out of the studio and gone to a Ray Charles concert in London, where Preston was playing organ. Harrison brought Preston back to the studio, where his keen musicianship and gregarious personality temporarily calmed the tension.[7]

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Billy_Preston#Relationship_with_the_Beatles

Preston is one of several people referred to as the "Fifth Beatle". At one point during the Get Back sessions, John Lennon proposed the idea of having him join the band (to which Paul McCartney countered that it was difficult enough reaching agreements with four).[8] Preston played organ and electric piano for the Beatles during several of the Get Back sessions; some of these sessions appeared in the film Let It Be and on its companion album. Preston also accompanied the band on electric piano for its rooftop concert, the group's final public appearance.[7] In April 1969, their single "Get Back" was credited to "The Beatles with Billy Preston", the only time such a joint credit had been given on an official Beatles-sanctioned release (as distinct from an unsanctioned reissue of some Hamburg-era recordings on which they were the backing group for Tony Sheridan). The credit was bestowed by the Beatles to reflect the extent of Preston's presence on the track; his electric piano is prominent throughout and he plays an extended solo. Preston also worked, in a more limited role, on the Abbey Road album, contributing organ to the tracks "I Want You (She's So Heavy)" and "Something".

In 1978, he appeared as Sgt. Pepper in Robert Stigwood's film Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band, which was based on the Beatles' album of the same name, and sang and danced to "Get Back" as the penultimate song.[9]

Honored Contributor

@GrailSeeker   Thank you again. Yes of course, Billy Preston! Great musician and he appeared to be having a really good time (who wouldn't with the Beatles? We certainly would).

Funny...the YouTube you posted, Jackson's  montage, seemed to be exactly what I had seen but I don't see Paul lifting up Linda's little daughter now. Maybe there is a longer version or maybe I just keep missing it. I do see Heather in it but not Paul picking her up, as I'm certain I had.

Trusted Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Pearlee wrote:

@GrailSeeker   Thank you again. Yes of course, Billy Preston! Great musician and he appeared to be having a really good time (who wouldn't with the Beatles? We certainly would).

Funny...the YouTube you posted, Jackson's  montage, seemed to be exactly what I had seen but I don't see Paul lifting up Linda's little daughter now. Maybe there is a longer version or maybe I just keep missing it. I do see Heather in it but not Paul picking her up, as I'm certain I had.

Somewhere, I did see Paul carrying Heather on his shoulders.  I've seen 3 versions of previews. 

The first one was on YouTube by a channel called Wings of Pegasus, an enthusiastic young musician who reviews famous performances.  It was really quick and I didn't even realize who it was.

I see Heather @4:56 and 5:45 here:

Previously UNSEEN footage of the Beatles! A FANTASTIC insight to band life! 

Honored Contributor

@GrailSeeker  Thanks again. That does look like Jackson's montage, where I just may be missing it or, like you did, I'm seeing different 

versions. 

Trusted Contributor

I've been researching a little bit more about the backstory here.

It's been so many years, but something about the narrative and comparison to A Hard Day's Night was incongruent to me?  But, I wasn't sure why.  It just didn't seem to be lining up with my core experience of what was really going on back then - most of which has been put out of my mind these many long years. 

It is film footage from what was originally planned to be a TV show.  It was filmed only weeks after the infamous White Album, and before their magnificent swan song, Abby Road.  

It's amazing to think that in a very short period of time we got Rubber Soul (1965), Revolver (1966) Sgt. Pepper (1967), followed by the made for TV and UNcritically acclaimed Magical Mystery Tour. 

Understandably, they were hesitant about both another TV show, and/or a live concert and/or album, when what became Let It Be (the movie) was shot.

I just stumbled on this today, again thanks to Wikipedia:

The film Let It Be has not been officially available on home video since the 1980s, although original and bootleg copies of the film still circulate. Early attempts to release the film on DVD and Blu-ray did not come to fruition.[2] The Beatles: Get Back, an upcoming 2021 documentary[3] utilising footage filmed for Let It Be, will be followed by a remastered re-release of the original 1970 film.[4]

Let It Be (1970 film) 

Something more to look forward to!  I'm really looking forward to both these films.  They give me that nostalgia -y feeling that I got with Anthology.

Honored Contributor

@GrailSeeker   I actually did already know this.

I've been the one comparing the new doc to A Hard Day's Night because of the goofing /larking about, being silly I've seen so far from the previews. All was not well with the band of course, but as Ringo recently said (on Colbert I think it was) this new footage gives a more accurate portrayal of the breakup than all the perceived until now acrimoniousness.  He said they were like brothers -- they fought but still loved each other and still had a lot of fun making music. As  we'll see next month.