Respected Contributor

Re: THE BEATLES GET BACK TAPES ON DISNEY+ YOUR THOUGHTS

@Pearlee wrote:

@GrailSeeker wrote:

I've seen the Liverpool Legends, an act from Branson, 3 times.  The last time was probably almost 10 years ago.  They were appearing locally around Halloween, but I really thought $40 was steep, since I have seen them before - when we all were younger!  They probably have some new members by now, too.  This tribute band was managed by Louis Harrison, George's sister.

@GrailSeeker  Just all the add-on charges to my Rain ticket, were about $50. And shockingly the very best seats (I got a good seat on main floor but not the very best) were almost what  MACCA concert tickets are!  🤯 Last time I saw Rain that wasn't the case at all.

By the way, people without Smartphones are out of luck. The only way to get a ticket is by Smartphone and downloading the ticket seller's app. Oh how times have changed.

I have only seen a tribut concert once and that was in 2005.  I had gone with a friend to Las Vegas to see Paul and a group of us went to see a Beatles tribute one night.  I can't remember the name of the band but I couldn't believe even then that their ticket price cost me as much as seeing Ringo - an actual Beatle!

Trusted Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Roni18 wrote:

I am still on part 3 as I've had family with me and haven't been able to have the tv to myself.  I would have posted sooner but I haven't been able to get on the forums.  I can only get on them from my iPad. 

I have enjoyed this but I am a bit of a Beatles obsessive that likes to analyze everything. It just reinforces to me what a creative genius Paul is.  Also, what great musicians they all were.  My only complaints with it is that due to editing something's aren't really presented as they were.  Number one is Yoko's involvement, a lot of which has been edited out/not shown.   I wonder if this was a decision from the Lennon estate (Sean) so as to protect his mom from more criticism that she broke up the band.  I know that Yoko has been in poor health and I am not sure how much actual input she actually has.   I have never felt that Yoko was the sole cause of their breakup but the way she is presented here is like a quiet little mouse and not a true representation.

Another example is that supposedly secret conversation between John and Paul.  Ringo, Yoko,and Linda are actually there too.  The dialogue shown makes it seem like John is the most understanding to George and leaves out his comments like "I'm not sure I want him back" and another segment where he says to Paul in front of Ringo that you and I are the Beatles.  I just didn't feel it was fair to Paul in that people on the Internet are making out what a great leader John is and how understanding he was.

And maybe it isn't entirely fair to George in that there is no acknowledgment of his marital problems or the fact that his mom had been diagnosed with terminal cancer at that time. So if you watch this it looks like he may only be upset by John and Paul and not these other factors. 

Still these are just minor complaints on my part.   I would have never imagined that they would have given us this much footage and overall I think it is great.

I read just recently read that in the first meeting between the four of them at George's house, after George had left the band, Yoko spoke for John in that meeting - he himself not uttering a word.  Wouldn't that just burn you up?

Trusted Contributor

@Roni18 wrote:

@Pearlee wrote:

@GrailSeeker wrote:

I've seen the Liverpool Legends, an act from Branson, 3 times.  The last time was probably almost 10 years ago.  They were appearing locally around Halloween, but I really thought $40 was steep, since I have seen them before - when we all were younger!  They probably have some new members by now, too.  This tribute band was managed by Louis Harrison, George's sister.

@GrailSeeker  Just all the add-on charges to my Rain ticket, were about $50. And shockingly the very best seats (I got a good seat on main floor but not the very best) were almost what  MACCA concert tickets are!  🤯 Last time I saw Rain that wasn't the case at all.

By the way, people without Smartphones are out of luck. The only way to get a ticket is by Smartphone and downloading the ticket seller's app. Oh how times have changed.

I have only seen a tribut concert once and that was in 2005.  I had gone with a friend to Las Vegas to see Paul and a group of us went to see a Beatles tribute one night.  I can't remember the name of the band but I couldn't believe even then that their ticket price cost me as much as seeing Ringo - an actual Beatle!

The last concert I went to was Dylan in 2019.  Not the best seats, but only $50.  I felt the same way about charging $40 to see a Beatles tribute band last fall.  It just didn't seem proportionate, but I suppose their expenses are the same as incurred by the Beatles themselves. 

So $1.99 to spend all that time being able to see and hear the Beatles up close, even if on film, seemed like they were almost paying me to watch!

Respected Contributor

@GrailSeeker wrote:

@Roni18 wrote:

I am still on part 3 as I've had family with me and haven't been able to have the tv to myself.  I would have posted sooner but I haven't been able to get on the forums.  I can only get on them from my iPad. 

I have enjoyed this but I am a bit of a Beatles obsessive that likes to analyze everything. It just reinforces to me what a creative genius Paul is.  Also, what great musicians they all were.  My only complaints with it is that due to editing something's aren't really presented as they were.  Number one is Yoko's involvement, a lot of which has been edited out/not shown.   I wonder if this was a decision from the Lennon estate (Sean) so as to protect his mom from more criticism that she broke up the band.  I know that Yoko has been in poor health and I am not sure how much actual input she actually has.   I have never felt that Yoko was the sole cause of their breakup but the way she is presented here is like a quiet little mouse and not a true representation.

Another example is that supposedly secret conversation between John and Paul.  Ringo, Yoko,and Linda are actually there too.  The dialogue shown makes it seem like John is the most understanding to George and leaves out his comments like "I'm not sure I want him back" and another segment where he says to Paul in front of Ringo that you and I are the Beatles.  I just didn't feel it was fair to Paul in that people on the Internet are making out what a great leader John is and how understanding he was.

And maybe it isn't entirely fair to George in that there is no acknowledgment of his marital problems or the fact that his mom had been diagnosed with terminal cancer at that time. So if you watch this it looks like he may only be upset by John and Paul and not these other factors. 

Still these are just minor complaints on my part.   I would have never imagined that they would have given us this much footage and overall I think it is great.

I read just recently read that in the first meeting between the four of them at George's house, after George had left the band, Yoko spoke for John in that meeting - he himself not uttering a word.  Wouldn't that just burn you up?

Yes!  That would make anyone mad.  Another time George got annoyed with John was when they ere finally dissolving the Beatles partnership (maybe around 1975) and Paul and George have made special arrangements to be in New York.   Then John doesn't show but sends a balloon instead!  I think he claimed his astrologer had told him it wasn't a good day.  Paul has said George was furious at that.   John really knew how to push people's buttons some times!

Regarding letting Yoko do all the talking I guess that is something he just did sometimes.  Years ago I was on an email list with a Canadian journalist who covered one of John and Yoko's bed ins and he said that he was really disappointed in that John just sat there and let Yoko do all the talking.

Honored Contributor

The following comment is the opinion only of the poster and doesn't count a hill of beans to anyone else or QVC:

It surprises me to discover this for myself, but now, to me the Beatles in the 1960's were four spoiled brats who were fortunate to find enough adults in the promotion and music business to make them and their music relevant.

At this point?  It's ancient history and they are irrelevant to all except their fans--and that is a good and interesting thing for people who still want to know about them.  

Trusted Contributor

@Sooner wrote:

The following comment is the opinion only of the poster and doesn't count a hill of beans to anyone else or QVC:

It surprises me to discover this for myself, but now, to me the Beatles in the 1960's were four spoiled brats who were fortunate to find enough adults in the promotion and music business to make them and their music relevant.

At this point?  It's ancient history and they are irrelevant to all except their fans--and that is a good and interesting thing for people who still want to know about them.  

I think they always were irrelevant to a certain segment, but there is no denying the cultural change they ushered in.  That lasted many years well after their breakup with influence that is felt to this day.  Many children were raised to the sounds of their parents' Beatles records and still love them.  

That said, I have never read a biography about them, or watched a documentary that I don't feel disappointed that they didn't hold up to my heroic standards of what they should have been, because they were so influential.

Trusted Contributor

What I learned from this movie is the songwriting process, and the influences behind those songs.

I think that the Beatles must have been on a constant search for inspiration, and how hard that must have been.  For many years it was said that Sgt. Pepper was influenced by the Beach Boys album "Pet Sounds" which I couldn't see then, but do now. 

Being older now, I hear the influence of music from the 20s and 30s and 40s, and the post war years, on some of Paul's songs. Songs we weren't really familiar with.

Listening closely, you can hear Japanese inspired notes in John's "Don't Let Me Down", a place you would not expect to find them.  There again is the influence of World War II, something that I wonder if John was totally unconscious of when he met Yoko. 

Then there is the heavy Indian influence from their time with the Maharishi and George learning the sitar.

Or was it only the inspiration of the whatever muse was current in their lives?  I'll say it again, there is no more beautiful Beatles song than "Something".

For context, three weeks after the filming of Let It Be, the Beatles were back in the studio recording the Abbey Road album.  Many think that this album is their masterpiece.

It was always a little confusing to me that the Let It Be album was recorded before Abbey Road, but released after Abbey Road.  So Let It Be is often thought of as their last (released) album, when really Abbey Road was their recorded last album. 

I do remember being in the 8th grade when Get Back was released as a single, and being disappointed in the seemingless meaningless lyrics. 

And for what seemed like the longest time, there was no album that contained Get Back, after we decided we kind of liked the song.  Seriously, I was shocked to learn from this movie that the song was inspired by immigration problems in the UK!

Supposedly, this was due to the influence of Bob Dylan's style of writing with incogruent words strung together while simultaneously making a political statement.

Respected Contributor

@GrailSeeker  I finally finished the whole thing Last night and I've been rewatching today while I have the tv to myself.   

I think Paul absorbed a lot of his musical influences in childhood from his father who at one time had been in a band.  His family also had a tradition of sing alongs/performing at family functions that must have served in helping him become familiar with those older songs. 

I shared this in another thread but I became a Beatles fan in 1981 when I heard a tribute band at Six Flags  playing Get Back and Come Together.  Prior to that I only knew they played things like She Loves You or I want to Hold your Hand, which are great but sounded totally different.   So it was very interesting to me seeing Get Back coming together.

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Jordan2 wrote:

So let me start off by saying I am the biggest Beatles fan there is, I can't believe I'm saying this, but I didn't love it. I didn't care for all the words on the screen at the beginning, I found it very slow moving ( I will watch the next two parts). George Harrison had the misfortune of being in a group with two of the best songwriters of their generation, he and Ringo took backseats to John and Paul. I could tell, you saw it in George's eyes, that he didn't appreciate being treated as if he were less than ( I can't believe how well they took his leaving, thinking of replacing him with Eric Clapton, real loyalty on their part). I noticed some music that didn't make it on The Beatle's album showed up on their solo projects. As for Yoko, I'm not saying she was the cause of the break ( they seemed to handle that all by themselves), she should not have been there. She insinuated herself into the inner circle, literally, and her singing, if that's what you would call was out of line. At least Linda hanging around was useful as she was photographing the event. 

We just got around to watching part 1 tonight... @Jordan2 I'd say all you said was pretty much my thoughts too.

Paul...definitely a driving force, the most organized and ambitious, and what a prolific, gifted musician, and vessel for some of the best songs ever written coming into being.

Paul/John...you can also see the symbiotic writing magic

George...I got how he felt that way..it's as you said so well: "George Harrison had the misfortune of being in a group with two of the best songwriters of their generation."

Yoko: 🙄 Yoko's "singing": Oy!! ...always like a cat being tortured. I guess John/Yoko just decided that is what they would be, inseparable.

It was long for just "jamming" for 21/2 hrs...but it held our attention somehow. And my favorite parts were hearing the "noodling around" strains of some of the greatest songs of all time being born in Paul's ever prolific brain, and constant banging out tunes. Fascinating. What a gift, and work ethic.