Honored Contributor

TENNESSEE WILLIAMS FESTIVAL FRIDAY 7:15 A.M. EASTERN

Kicking off with "The Night of the Iguana" with Richard Burton and Ava Gardner at 7:15 a.m. Eastern, and continuing on with other adaptations of Williams' works until 8:00 p.m. Eastern.

"Sweet Bird of Youth" stars Paul Newman, Geraldine Page and the just-deceased fine actress, Shirley Knight and airs at 11:30 a.m. Eastern.

There's the chilling, yet fascinating, "The Roman Spring of Mrs. Stone" with Vivien Leigh and Warren Beatty at 1:45 p.m. Eastern...

And "Cat on a Hot Tin Roof",  and "Baby Doll"...  Please see full schedule below:

http://www.tcm.com/schedule/index.html?tz=est&sdate=2020-05-01

Honored Contributor

Re: TENNESSEE WILLIAMS FESTIVAL FRIDAY 7:15 A.M. EASTERN

What an impressive line up of cinema greats!  Each one mentioned is a worth while watch. I will DVR a few I haven't seen in awhile.

I think I remember Baby Doll being  considered risque at the time and children shouldn't see it.  I was very young when it came out but when older did see the movie.  Maybe back then it was risque but nowadays, very tame and harmless but a good movie!!!!!

Thanks for the heads up, excellent movies for my DVR!!!!

Respected Contributor

Oh fantastic .. my favorite playwright .....Each of those movies

mentioned are great ...

Honored Contributor

Burl Ives is the best he knocks everybody else off the screen. 'Big Daddy' , ruled, that roost.  That ugly sister in law of Paul Newman's in 'Cat' who was always pregnant looks just like a pekingnese. Seemed like in real life committed sucicide not for sure, you know me, I may have her mixed up with somebody else. 

Just like that gal who played Belle Whatley in GWTW think she killed herself, too.

Burl Ives, in 'BIg Country' cracked me up, too. He kicked his own son's butt, Chuck Connors, me and DH laughed our butts off.

I need a DVD of just Burl Ives movies.

Also, liked his song 'have a jolly holly xmas' that's my favorite xmas song.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

I so wish I'd seen this earlier. Although I've never cared for Richard Burton, I've never actually seen NIght of the Iguana and would like to have. I will pick up the rest of them, though, perhaps passing on Cat on a Hot Tin Roof, having seen it so many times... And to think, alas, there are still those who think it's a love story, perhaps because Hollywood's sanitized but butchered version of the play is somewhat amorphous... Disappointing, even if still entertaining...The only thing missing to make it a nearly perfect retrospective is Suddenly, Last Summer, with Hepburn, Taylor, and Clift. The Roman Spring of Mrs. Stone is sad but wonderful and visually quite a showpiece of sets, costumes and so on.

In my pantry with my cupcakes...
Honored Contributor

I'll be watching.

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

Love every one of these movies...

Warren B. is such a cad in the Roman Spring of Mrs. Stone.  And, his accent left a lot to be desired Cat LOL  But, easy on the eyes...

I didn't think Vivian L. was well cast in this movie, but she was marvelous anyway.  Lotte Lenya such a snake!  Her name, of course, mentioned in Mac the Knife...cannot remember the full story, but I read it years ago.

Lotte Lenya

It's an odd, sad movie that disturbs me.  But, I watch anyway!

Cat on a Hot Tin Roof....Elizabeth calling the kids, "no neck monsters" makes me laugh every time.  That white dress and solitare diamond necklace are stunning on her.

That is my favorite of this grouping.

Honored Contributor

Yeah, Helen Rose, could design !

LIz, was at the height of her beauty at that time. I wanted to backhand

Newman, acted like a fool.  Who would refuse Liz Taylor? LOL

Like in GWTW why would Scarlet O'Hara pick that wimpy Ashley over Clark Gable?????  ain't gonna happen hahhahaha

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Witchy Woman  Agree about Roman Spring. Leigh wouldn't have been my choice, but she pulled it off... Lenya was fabulous... What a witch... Warren must've been cast for sheer looks because, agree, his accent was actually sort of funny... They might've been better off had they cast someone who actually had an accent, someone who knew how to do an accent or just had him drop the accent and let the dialog inform the audience the character was Italian...

In my pantry with my cupcakes...