Honored Contributor

TCM's "OVERLOOKED AFRICAN-AMERICAN PERFORMANCES" THURSDAY 8:00 P.M. EASTERN

TCM has been coming up with some great themes for various mini-festivals lately, and this is one of them.  In the classic age of film making, few performers of color got the kind of roles that could make for a sustained movie career. The more typical route was make some kind of splash in films, then segue to nightclub/cabaret, concert, or theater or recording career. 

That's not to be sneezed at, but imagine if a Lena Horne, or Paul Robeson, had been able to have high-glamour film careers commensurate with their talents...  Or Nina Mae McKinney, Ruby Dee, Percy Rodriguez, Fredi Washington, James Edwards, and on and on.

So here's the schedule of films, from 8:00 p.m. Eastern, with the showcased performances:

http://www.tcm.com/schedule/index.html?tz=est&sdate=2020-01-23.

Great roster of performances:  

Louise Beavers and Fredi Washington in "Imitation of Life"

Canada Lee in "Body and Soul

161005_member_wedding_banner1.jpg

Ethel Waters in "Member of the Wedding"

Juano_hernandez_in_intruder_in_the_dust.jpg

Juano Hernandez in "Intruder in the Dust"

Honored Contributor

Re: TCM's "OVERLOOKED AFRICAN-AMERICAN PERFORMANCES" THURSDAY 8:00 P.M. EASTERN

[ Edited ]

@Oznell I LOVE "Member of the Wedding." Have my DVR set to record this. Thanks for the heads up!

Honored Contributor

I started another topic about the movie, Nothing But A Man, which I watched for the first time on TCM the other night.  It could be included in the above topic.  Ivan Dixon, Abbey Lincoln, Julius Harris (in his first acting role!!), Gloria Foster, all gave excellent performances.  A lot of talent has been wasted by Hollywood over the years.

Esteemed Contributor

I think it's wonderful these movies have been preserved, and that we are able to enjoy them. They are such an important part of the history of American cinema, and because of TCM, the younger generation can be educated in a way that we were not. Although I am familiar with some of the classics, I was unaware of the vast cache of AA films, but am PROUD they exist for our viewing pleasure, and education. 

~~~All we need is LOVE💖

Honored Contributor

@SandySparkles wrote:

I was unaware of the vast cache of AA films, but am PROUD they exist for our viewing pleasure, and education. 

~~~All we need is LOVE💖

@SandySparkles Oscar Micheaux was a very prolific AA film maker.  You can find some of his movies for your viewing and/or downloading-guilty pleasure at:  copy/paste link--->archive.org/search.php?query=oscar%20micheaux&and[]=mediatype%3A%22movies%22 and YouTube.

Oscar Micheaux made just under 50 films during his lifetime.  I am currently burning them.  Part of my 2020 winter project for my personal collection.

@Oznell  The "original" Imitation Of Life w/Claudett Colbert has always been my favorite over the Lana Turner versioin.  The only thing I liked about the LT version was her outfits. Smiley LOL

"Never argue with a fool. Onlookers may not be able to tell the difference."

220-AuCC-US-CRM-Header-Update.gif

Super Contributor

@Mz iMac 

I've always prefered the original Imitation of Life too.

Trusted Contributor

@lil spot wrote:

@Mz iMac 

I've always prefered the original Imitation of Life too.

I have not seen the original Imitation of Life.  I hope to catch it this time. 

Honored Contributor

Me three for the 1934 version of "Imitation of Life",  @Mz iMac and @lil spot !

Esteemed Contributor

@Mz iMac  Thank you so much!!! I see his filmography is extensive, and I'm just shocked that I'm not that familiar with him.🙁 I'm sure my mother is, but we we've never talked about movies much. I'm going to share this with my children, and definitely my grandchildren when they are old enough.😊

~~~All we need is LOVE💖

Valued Contributor

Another vote here for the Claudette Colbert version of "Imitation of Life."

I saw a regional stage production of "The Member of the Wedding" many years ago.  There is something about this type of southern fiction that really draws me in. I liked the movie, too.