Honored Contributor

TCM-"Chariots of Fire" at Half Past Midnight Eastern; "The Bride Came C.O.D." at 6:00 a.m. Eastern

12:30 a.m. Eastern-- "Chariots of Fire",  Lovely story of young Brits running for England in the 1924 Olympics.  Ian Charleson, Ben Cross, John Geilgud.  (Ian Holm gives a great, quiet performance in this as a determined trainer and coach.)

Just oozes authentic 1920's atmosphere and varsity charm all through.  One of the few modern films that explores with seriousness and a measure of respect the dilemma of a conservative Christian intersecting with society that doesn't really care about his scruples.  Very resonant for me, a "fundie" Christian, I suppose, and I so rarely get to see anyone like me on screen....  

Don't you just cheer for Harold (Ben Cross) as he wages his own battles with anti-Semitism as an athlete of the Twenties... I forget the name of the actress, but his girl in this is the most beautiful, and beautifully dressed for the period, you are ever likely to see, especially in the restaurant scene.   And don't forget that wonderful musical score.

6:00 a.m. Eastern--  "The Bride Came C.O.D."    I love this light confection because it pairs two of my all time film favorites, Bette Davis and James Cagney.  He's a pilot who's supposed to spirit her away from an unsuitable romance (I think), which is a bit like the "It Happened One Night" plot.  It's boy meets girl, tear around the countryside, spiritedly spar and banter with one another, etc.  Just love that it's brilliant Bette and Cagney together, even if it's not terribly serious.... 

Honored Contributor

Re: TCM-"Chariots of Fire" at Half Past Midnight Eastern; "The Bride Came C.O.D.&quot

[ Edited ]

@Oznell, I’m thoroughly enjoying as I write this. One of my all-time favorite films, Anglophile that I am. Everything about the film was brilliant. The cast was superb, all of them. So many became favorites of mine, and all are still acting except those who have passed on - Ian Charleson (Liddell).  

The latter died young of AIDS, in the early days of the disease. An award was created in his name after his death:

”The Sunday Times chief drama critic John Peter saw and reviewed Ian Charleson's extraordinary Hamlet at the National Theatre in late 1989.  Unbeknownst to the audience, Charleson performed it during the last weeks of his life while he was seriously ill with AIDS, and died in January 1990 at the age of 40 eight weeks after his final performance. In November 1990, in memory of Charleson's fine performance, Peter established the annual Ian Charleson Award, to recognize and reward the best classical stage performance by an actor under age 30. The awards are jointly sponsored by The Sunday Times and the National Theatre, where they are held.”

Harold’s girlfriend (later in life, his wife) was played by the beautiful Alice Krige, who was born in South Africa. I was in love with both Nigel Havers and Nicholas Farrell. Neither looks as pretty as those beautiful boys any more, but both still fine actors. I’ve always liked Ian Holm.

Life without Mexican food is no life at all
Honored Contributor

Re: TCM-"Chariots of Fire" at Half Past Midnight Eastern; "The Bride Came C.O.D.&quot

Yes, isn't it almost perfect, @Moonchilde!   Ian Charleson's tragic early death in real life always casts a bit of a melancholy pall over the film for me-- like the others, he was so bursting with youth and vitality.

Eric Liddell, whom he played, is a huge hero to the Christian community, as well as the wider world.  I love the quiet, non-grandstanding simplicity Charleson imbues him with-- "I won't run on the Sabbath", famously and tersely uttered in his soft Scottish burr. 

But more significantly, the giving up of the glories of his athletic career, to spend his life as a missionary in China, subject to much privation and danger.  He was interned in a camp there in World War II, in poor health from malnutrition and over-work, and ultimately died of a brain tumor there.  He was beloved by the other inmates and did everything he could to improve their lives under very unfavorable  circumstances.

If you google Eric Liddell, his picture pops up and he looks very much like the vibrant young men in the film!  (I too adored Nigel Havers, by the way-- hope he has had a good career since then!)

Just a deeply satisfying film!

Highlighted
Esteemed Contributor

Chariots of Fire -- a fave movie. Love the story of Liddell. ON WINGS OF EAGLES, movie released 2017... story of post Olympics life in China.

"I took a walk in the woods and came out taller than the trees." Henry David Thoreau
Honored Contributor

@jeanlake, thanks for bringing that to my attention!  I bet it's great!