Honored Contributor

Do any of you TCM fans belong to their Backlot club?  It looks like there's a 30 day free trial membership and then $87/year.  I wonder if it's worth it????

Honored Contributor

I don't know what it is. I just got TCM today in a movie package for an additional $10.

Honored Contributor

@kaydee50, I haven't investigated it.  I wonder what all you get for your $87?  Is this the thing where, if you go to their studios, you get a tour, and possible shmoozing with staff?

I wonder also if they give you discounts for their yearly film festival they hold in L.A.?  Discounts on TCM merchandise, DVD's etc?

i personally think I get enough fun with the movies themselves.  The other stuff (except maybe the film fest in California-- hubby and I always ssy that would be neat to go to) isn't really what I'm looking for, so probably wouldn't go for it.

Honored Contributor

I never researched it. BUT I got the impression that it was a California thing. That they got together to meet Ben Mankiewicz and attend different events. And since Ben Mankiewicz is in California most of the events would be there to, just like the Film Festival in April.

So I never thought about joining. I am 3,000 miles away.

Honored Contributor

@Oznell wrote:

@kaydee50, I haven't investigated it.  I wonder what all you get for your $87?  Is this the thing where, if you go to their studios, you get a tour, and possible shmoozing with staff?

I wonder also if they give you discounts for their yearly film festival they hold in L.A.?  Discounts on TCM merchandise, DVD's etc?

i personally think I get enough fun with the movies themselves.  The other stuff (except maybe the film fest in California-- hubby and I always ssy that would be neat to go to) isn't really what I'm looking for, so probably wouldn't go for it.

Funny you should mention their yearly festival.  DH encourages me to go since we have a home in NV and it would be easy to get to LA.  But I've checked out the "passes" and it's pretty expensive.  I'm not sure I'm that much of a movie buff to spend the bucks!!  Also find it interesting that they have discontinued their cruises.  I suspect that it was more Robert Osborne's idea (miss him) to have those.

Honored Contributor

@OKPrincess wrote:

I don't know what it is. I just got TCM today in a movie package for an additional $10.

If you like "classic" movies, I'm sure you'll find it well worth it.  At least there are no commercials!!!  Enjoy!

Honored Contributor

I was so disappointed that the cruise was discontinued. I always said when I retire, I am going. Well, I retired and I am not going.

Frequent Contributor

I just joined....you can do monthly as well.