Honored Contributor

Re: TCM-WHERE ARE THE CHRISTMAS MOVIES!!!

@sunshine45 wrote:

if you have not seen THE CHRISTMAS NOTE on the hallmark channels, i recommend it......it is a mystery (not a crime) and not filled with your typical "romance."

@sunshine45

Thanks for the recommendation, Ill have to keep watch for it....

Animals are reliable, full of love, true in their affections, grateful. Difficult standards for people to live up to.”
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@stevieb wrote:

@Spurt Several of their current mystery movie series are based on serialized cozy mystery novels... I can think of so many mystery novel series that have included a book or books where the action took place over the holidays... Let them option some of them and provide us with a little more variety!

@stevieb

Your right, the cozy mystery series that Ive read and the one Im currently reading always have included a Christmas setting in the book series....VARIETY s the spice of life! Woman Very Happy

Animals are reliable, full of love, true in their affections, grateful. Difficult standards for people to live up to.”
Honored Contributor

I'm there too @Spurt. If it's the last thing I do (and it might prove to be...) I'm going to clean this place out once and for all! I think that if it wasn't such a challenge to locate and get to things, the cleaning, decorating and preparation for Christmas would be a more joyful experience, but when everything is packed to the rafters, eh, not so much...

In my pantry with my cupcakes...
Honored Contributor

@Kachina624 @ROMARY

Thats why I prefer the Classic Christmas movies....the plots were more interesting and the acting is so much better than some of these newer attempts.........But I appreciate the mention of other available options........

Valued Contributor

I almost forgot, one of my very favorite Christmas movies that I have on DVD, but that many of you may not know about is "Mr. Krueger's Christmas" starring Jimmy Stewart. It is only a 30 minute movie but it's such a sweet, beautiful movie and can easily bring a lump to your throat. Mr. Krueger's Christmas is a 1980 television special starring Jimmy Stewart and featuring the Mormon Tabernacle Choir. A summary of the movie is, "An elderly widower relies on his daydreams and faith to get through a lonely Christmas." 

I googled it and it appears you can watch it on youtube. If you get a chance, it really is worth 30 minutes to watch this heartwarming movie.

Just a side note, while I was attending Brigham Young University in the 1980's Jimmy Stewart came to the university and spoke. It was my good fortune to be able to see him in person. Jimmy Stewart donated his personal papers and movie memorabilia to Brigham Young University.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@cimeranrose wrote:

I almost forgot, one of my very favorite Christmas movies that I have on DVD, but that many of you may not know about is "Mr. Krueger's Christmas" starring Jimmy Stewart. It is only a 30 minute movie but it's such a sweet, beautiful movie and can easily bring a lump to your throat. Mr. Krueger's Christmas is a 1980 television special starring Jimmy Stewart and featuring the Mormon Tabernacle Choir. A summary of the movie is, "An elderly widower relies on his daydreams and faith to get through a lonely Christmas." 

I googled it and it appears you can watch it on youtube. If you get a chance, it really is worth 30 minutes to watch this heartwarming movie.

Just a side note, while I was attending Brigham Young University in the 1980's Jimmy Stewart came to the university and spoke. It was my good fortune to be able to see him in person. Jimmy Stewart donated his personal papers and movie memorabilia to Brigham Young University.

@cimeranrose

Thanks for sharing the info.  I really like Jimmy Stewart and will have to check that out.  There are some of his earlier movies too that were quite enjoyable---One was "Come Spend The Night With Me"....he was a starving freelance writer and a woman from Austria didnt want to be deported since the war was starting so they agreed to a marriage of convenience....she had money and would take care of his expenses and their marriage would allow her to remain in the U.S. ........"Wife versus Secretary" and "Made For Each Other" were good movies too......  I love it in the afternoon when TCM plays these little gems........not as well known but still good movies........

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

@cimeranrose wrote:

I'm also a TCM fan, and I agree with all of you - their December programming is kind of disappointing and has been the last few years. So, over the past several years I've built up my own Christmas DVD collection to watch whenever I want.

So far, I have:

Remember the Night

Christmas in Connecticutt

Holiday Inn

White Christmas

Miracle on 34th Street

It's a Wonderful Life

The Bishop's Wife

Two Hallmark movies I taped: "A Princess For Christmas," and "Fallen Angel."

The Shop Around the Corner, In the Good Old Summertime, Meet Me in St. Louis, Heidi (Shirley Temple version), and Penny Serenade aren't really considered Christmas movies I guess, but their fun to watch in December too.

@cimeranrose  -  I've done the same about buying the movies on dvd.  At least I can watch them when I feel the urge.  I still need to get "The Bishop's Wife."  I absolutely love "Fallen Angel," Gary Senise is so good in that movie and the story is great, not as sappy as the newer Hallmark movies they're cranking out every year. 

Honored Contributor

Hallmark

Netflix

FX

Freeform 

Honored Contributor

In truth, the ones I love at holiday time, I bought.  I never need to miss them again. 

Honored Contributor

I'm also waiting for the old version of Miracle on 34th Street.