Respected Contributor

TCM Tonight Movie After Movie After Movie

Start your DVR's! At 8:00 pm tonight Raintree County ( Liz Taylor, Montgomery Cliff, Eva Marie Saint and more). Then at 11:00 pm Giant ( Liz Taylor, Rock Hudson, James Dean and more ). Then, if those two aren't enough at 2:45 am, Ivanhoe ( Robert Taylor, Liz Taylor, Joan Fontaine and more). Have a good night and enjoy!

Happiness is not a destination, it is a way of life.
Honored Contributor

Re: TCM Tonight Movie After Movie After Movie

@Coquillewrote:

Start your DVR's! At 8:00 pm tonight Raintree County ( Liz Taylor, Montgomery Cliff, Eva Marie Saint and more). Then at 11:00 pm Giant ( Liz Taylor, Rock Hudson, James Dean and more ). Then, if those two aren't enough at 2:45 am, Ivanhoe ( Robert Taylor, Liz Taylor, Joan Fontaine and more). Have a good night and enjoy!

DH and I plan to watch Raintree Country tonight for the first time. Thanks.

Honored Contributor

Thanks, @Coquille.  I'd love to stay up for "Ivanhoe".  Have never seen it, for some reason, and it has that magical Elizabeth Taylor/Robert Taylor pairing.  Two beautiful brunettes, with "dueling" blue-violet and blue-gray eyes!

Respected Contributor

@Oznellwrote:

Thanks, @Coquille.  I'd love to stay up for "Ivanhoe".  Have never seen it, for some reason, and it has that magical Elizabeth Taylor/Robert Taylor pairing.  Two beautiful brunettes, with "dueling" blue-violet and blue-gray eyes!

@Oznell It's a good movie. He's stunning, she's stunning, where to look first!  It's on TCM frequently.  Another beauty, which is one of my favorite movies is Cat On A Hot Tin Roof. Be still my heart, Taylor and Newman, OMG. My eyes are glued to the screen. I think she was unbelievably stunning, to say the least in both of those movies. 

Honored Contributor

@Oznellwrote:

I will try and stay awake for Ivanhoe. After seeing Waterloo Bridge I can't get enough of Robert Taylor. 

I read when Robert Taylor and Barbara Stanwyck divorced she got their house and all the furnishings. She promptly sold everything in an auction. And then she got 15% of his earnings for the rest of his life. 

Honored Contributor

Yes, that was an enigmatic marriage, wasn't it, @drizzellla?  And yet some say that, despite whatever other "interests" Stanwyck may have had, that Robert Taylor remained the love of her life, even after they were long divorced and he was apparently happily re-married.

By all accounts he was very sweet, a bit insecure for a variety of reasons.  I wonder if that's what gives him that slightly troubled, "vulnerable" quality which I think endears him to audiences.  It often comes through, despite his showstopping looks.

Have you seen him in "Johnny Eager", with Lana Turner?  I think that might be my favorite of his...

Respected Contributor

@drizzelllawrote:

@Oznellwrote:

I will try and stay awake for Ivanhoe. After seeing Waterloo Bridge I can't get enough of Robert Taylor. 

I read when Robert Taylor and Barbara Stanwyck divorced she got their house and all the furnishings. She promptly sold everything in an auction. And then she got 15% of his earnings for the rest of his life. 

@drizzellla. I remember reading it was a weird marriage and after I think, 2 years he started having affairs. Yet they stayed together for several more years. They did remain friends. She was a smart woman who lived deeply!