Honored Contributor

Re: TCM Summer Under the Stars

[ Edited ]

Johnnyeager,

Thank you so much for drawing my attention to the fact that this August 8 will be the centennial celebration of the birth of Esther Williams.  I've never forgotten her birthday but had forgotten her birth year.

As a little girl who loved swimming, the movies and MGM productions, Esther, quite naturally, became my icon.  I have three scrapbooks devoted to her 8 X 10 glossies, fan magazine coverage and my personal embellishments. 

As an 8- or 9-year-old, I composed the following bit of doggerel as a paean to her magnificence:

ESTHER WILLIAMS

I know a swimming champ

Who never needs a ramp.

Her name is Esther Williams.

She makes money by the millions.

Esteemed Contributor

"The Way We Were" is scheduled for  August 18th, Robert Redford day.

Honored Contributor

Hey, @NAES1 ,  glad you persevered and finally got through-- it can be a trial, for sure!   Yes, B.D. was a complex character, not all one thing.  Whatever her demons, (and it seems clear that she had them, and could be extremely difficult), she was the ultimate craftsman, though.  What a body of work!  That's the prism through which I tend to look at her onscreen.

Very glad all is well with you, and can well imagine you have been busy.  Best to your family, and take care, dear @NAES1 .   See you at the movies-- there definitely will be some popcorn-tossers this month... 

Trusted Contributor

@skatting44 wrote:

I've been trying to catch some of those SCI movies from the 50's -60's.  When I was very young they used to show them on TV and I thought some were really scarry . Watching them now, holy cow they are so low budget in specail effects.

I love these movies!  The cheesier the better.

Though there are some very well produced ones such as The Day the Earth Stood Still, my favorites are giant radioactive monsters and B- grade movies.

The Blob with Steve McQueen was actually pretty well done, too.

Honored Contributor

Never heard of Winter Meeting.

Trusted Contributor

It is not your typical Bette Davis movie and the story just kind of drew me in the first time I watched the movie. I hope you get to see it the next time it is shown and you enjoy it. Jim Davis is the actor who played Jock Ewing in the series "Dallas". He was a very handsome young man when he first started acting.