Respected Contributor

The Verdict is one of my favorites. Based on a true story.

Beautiful use of light and color.

Respected Contributor

ITS ALL GOOD ... !!!

Esteemed Contributor

OZNELL - !!! OZNELL, `your` husband has quality taste...cuz The Long HOT summer was, is and will be my favorite movie, y e s of all times...but what amuses you? Gotta know |?|   

I saw this movie in Big Theater in 1958...and was I ever so young, but not that young to when I dropped the popcorn and didn't care where it went.  TLHS was the 1st movie that both Joanne Woodward & Newman were in a movie together.

I had just gotten here about 10 minutes ago when I saw on the screen page..Star of the month, not knowing it was paul Newman.

I know that movie by memory, and when he said to Clara, 'you'll wake up in the morning -smilin'.... I knew that from that movie if and when I married, he would have to be as close to that ..........man..... and did. 

Loved all of the actors, and the music still makes me have those lonely arms ~~~~~~~~~all over, again.

Can fix that immediately.

[ From the Terrace ] is another favorite. 

The Long Hot Summer seems to knows every time when you're near, and the touch of the breeze gently stirs all the trees, and the bird wants to please my ears,

..the long hot summer seems to know what a flirt you are, seems to know your caress isn't mine to posses- how could someone posses a star

~~ -but you may long for me, long before the fall, long before the winds announce that winters come to call       

.....and meantime I'll court you, and meanwhile I'll kiss you, and meanwhile my lonely arms will hold you strong, and meanwhile the long hot summer slowly moves along, so slowly moves along~ oh, so slowly moves along.

I sang this to myself; believe I remembered the beautiful wording as I tried to write 'if' I am still that in love singing the lyrics that I have heard for more times than you could imagine.   Not the music that...I can, though~ hear it in my mind.

Your husband is a true romantic...for that you better treasure that one~~!

Yes, he's my favorite.... 

@Oznell     

Honored Contributor

Ha, ha, thank you @NAES1, he would be very flattered to hear your assessment...

Yes, he is a secret romantic, especially when it comes to classic films.  The reason his choice is amusing to me is that, he does lean to the more florid, romantic ones-- his other favorite is "An Affair to Remember" with Cary Grant and Deborah Kerr.  I enjoy those very much too, esp. that one, but in general, I'm drawn to the more hard-boiled, film noir and/or suspense genres.

It strikes me a bit funny, because in person he seems very practical and hard-headed, at least at first, and I am less-than-precise, impressionable and a bit scatter-brained.  Our favorite films don't necessarily track with our "outward" personality traits...

Hey, I'm going to steal one of the colorful expressions you used when describing your long-ago reaction to the movie.  You said "drop the popcorn".   I will now describe any movie that produces delight and excitement in the viewer, as a "drop the popcorn" movie!   Thank you, @NAES1!

Honored Contributor

Is "the white dress" Taylor wears that you ladies refer to the white slip? I can only picture the slip in my mind, not a dress.

Honored Contributor

@Pearlee,  I think later she puts on a white cocktail dress, the one with the deep V neck.  Very pretty, could be silk chiffon or something.  At least that's what I'm vaguely remembering...

Esteemed Contributor

Hope that you're still up or ....> 

you betcha -          @Oznell 

Did you by chance see the 1956 movie:

The Rack? ...my info says The RackS.

Walter Pidgeon & Paul Newman.... I missed that one but my husband raved about it as was one great movie. I saw a few clips from it. 

** >  Incidentally, TLHS that I saw on the big screen :

A real movie theater, while in my teens, was shown in my hometown in 1963.... I knew it was made in '58. Wondering if where I lived is a slow poke town, or limited to the VERY few?  As with me? HAaaaaaaaaaa-HA- I wasn't that oldER. I remember being youngER- though!  Smiley Surprised

Respected Contributor

@avid shopper wrote:

Cool Hand Luke!

I've never seen a bad Paul Newman film, but that's our favorite, too, @avid shopper! My husband and I enjoyed it on TCM so much, that we bought it on DVD several years ago. 

2B967984-B99D-47C8-852D-5AF8A73528F6.jpeg

Very talented, believable cast and though filmed in CA, it feels like the Deep South. So many epic and subtle memorable scenes ~ lines, too. I still get queasy trying to watch that egg eating contest, though. 🤢 

I also enjoy the folk music ~ just the right kind of grit and blasé attitude for the setting. I was impressed that Paul struggled to learn to play the banjo for the Plastic Jesus song, in the seemingly raw scene following his mother's death. His frustration with the instrument and getting it just right, comes off as tortured grief and anger with his situation. Sheer perfection! 

He said he honestly enjoyed playing the role of Luke. “I had great fun with that part,” he said... “I liked that man.” 😊

More trivia here: 

http://www.tcm.com/this-month/article/355265%7C369665/Cool-Hand-Luke.html

For those interested who don’t already know, Cool Hand Luke airs on TCM on 5/22!