Honored Contributor

Paul Newman on Wednesday evenings.  Looking forward to it!!!

Esteemed Contributor

Love him! 

Esteemed Contributor

Thank you for the alert!!!  

One of my favorite Paul N movies is on tonight at midnight - Until They Sail.

Set during WWII with Jean Simmons, Joan Fontaine and a very young Sandra Dee. I have seen it many times, but always enjoy it.  Paul N is young and so handsome in his uniform!

Definitely recommend if you have never seen it.

Respected Contributor

This is good news!!!!  What a dreamboat!

Trusted Contributor

Cool Hand Luke!

Honored Contributor

That's great to know, @kaydee50!

Seconding @twinsister's recommendation of "Until They Sail".

I wonder if they'll show some of the less frequently aired ones, like his charismatic portrayal of a private eye in "Harper",  or his Hitchcock outing in "Torn Curtain"?

I really like his "underdog" portrayals in "The Verdict" and "Nobody's Fool".  And a film he directed and starred in set in Oregon, "Sometimes A Great Notion".  He was terrific in "Absence of Malice" too, although a miscast Sally Field somewhat tarnished the film for me...

Hubby's favorite film (maybe of all time, which amuses me) is "The Long Hot Summer".    Paul and Joanne set up quite a sizzle in that.

Trusted Contributor
@Oznell
Your hubby has great taste! Sizzle indeed!
The Long Hot Summer is sooo good...Paul and Joanne's chemistry is absolutely palpable in that movie. Love the cat and mouse game between the two of them. You can FEEL the heat in that movie, both the actual steamy weather...and the attraction brewing between Paul and Joanne.
I love when she tells him off and says she's not some helpless creature waiting for him to come along and change her life.
One of my favorite movies! I do hope they show it. Joanne Woodward was so talented, and she was often overshadowed by her fabulous blue-eyed husband's fame.
Trusted Contributor
@Oznell
It IS scheduled! The Long Hot Summer...May 8, 7:30 PM PCT...I'm in California...so 10:30 PM for the East Coasters.
Yay!!! Set my DVR already.
@twinsister Thank you for the heads-up. I also taped Until They Sail tonight...I had never heard of that movie. 💚
Honored Contributor

Hey, good work, @MarnieRez3!   Another funny thing is that hubs can quote long passages of dialogue from it.  I love that scene, I hope I get it right--  some loafers and ne'er do wells are on a porch in the hot afternoon, chatting and whittling or something.  Paul Newman shows up, and passes by, in all his golden, disruptive, magnetic, blue eyed glory.  One of the little guys on the porch has a terse, wistful, drawled, almost throwaway, comment:   "Ah'd like to be Ben Quick"....  

You'd have to be there-- it is funny when my hubby drawls it, ha. 

Honored Contributor

Re: TCM Star of the Month

[ Edited ]

@kaydee50 wrote:

Paul Newman on Wednesday evenings.  Looking forward to it!!!

Whoohoo @kaydee50   Thanks for the info.  I hope they show The Verdict.  He was excellent in that, although older than in his more dreamboat days.  @Oznell   The Verdict was a masterpiece of acting by Paul.