Contributor

Re: TCM Splendor in the Grass, 11:17 am EST

[ Edited ]

I love INSIDE DAISY CLOVER, and I think Natalie is at her best in it.  It's a shame -- several scenes, including a musical number, were cut before the release, as was Natalie's voice-over (of which only the beginning and end was retained in the final version).  It wasn't a hit, but it should have been.

I'm also a big fan of THIS PROPERTY IS CONDEMNED. 

Trusted Contributor

Color me dumb, but I watched this movie a number of years ago and I didn't (and still don't) understand why her boyfriend wouldn't marry her.

Was it because he just wasn't in love with her? Or because she was poorer than his family was, and his father wanted him to marry someone from his social class?  But when his family lost all of their money, why didn't he marry her then?  And the woman he did marry didn't look like the "classy" type his father wanted him to marry.

And how sad that her father had to sell their house to pay for her treatment.

I found it to be a very depressing movie with excellent acting.

Highlighted
Regular Contributor

@DottieBlue : he didn't marry her because his father forbid him and sent him off to college while she had a nervous breakdown and was in a "mental" hospital for over 2 years.  They each found 2nd loves.  Her parents did not sell their house but sold some stocks they had. I saw this movie when I was 13 and I watched it again. A real tear dropper.  I sure hope this helps!