Honored Contributor

Re: TCM SHOWCASES LEGENDARY CRITIC, PAULINE KAEL FRIDAY 11:30 P.M. EASTERN

@golding76 wrote:

oznell,

So glad I came to this forum now (hadn't visited all day).  I read Kael religiously back in the day.  I've set the show to record.

Ah, my past.  Pauline Kael and Andrew Sarris.

I also had a subscription in the '60s to "Ramparts" magazine.  No wonder Bruce Herschensohn never called me for a date when I lived in Miami.  He was part of the Nixon administration and would visit Key Biscayne with Nixon.  Bruce probably checked me out for my political leanings.  LOL  He had asked my cousin for my number after she and I ran into him in Georgetown on one of my visits back home in the early '70s.  Glad I didn't wait for his call... It never came.  My cousin (conservative) knew him well; they were good friends.

I just remembered.  I also subscribed to the "National Review."  Yes, I admired Bill Buckley.  That is what is so different now.  People are so unwilling to learn what the opposition is saying or thinking.  But of course, the thinking was more balanced then and not rancorous as it is now.  Buckley of the felicitous phrase!  Ah!  Loved him! 

@golding76 

How could one not admire Buckley?  His love of the English language and peanut butter changed my life.

The Buckley breakfast:

Sturdy bread, toasted and buttered, then spread generously with peanut butter and drizzled with honey.

Heaven.

~My philosophy: Dogs are God's most perfect creatures. Angels, here on Earth, who teach us to be better human beings.~
Honored Contributor

So neat that you knew Bruce Herschensohn, @golding76 --  I was very sorry to read a few days ago of his death.  What a gent!  And extremely smart man--I'm not surprised you caught his attention.  I can still hear his mellifluous voice!  There were lots of nice tributes to him on his passing.  Here's the last paragraph of one from a former aide to Senator James Buckley of New York (brother to William, small world!) in "National Review"--

"Bruce was so many things in his life: A documentary producer and director; a writer of screenplays, music, columns, and books; a lecturer and debater; a television and radio commentator; a foreign-affairs expert and senior fellow at the Pepperdine University School of Public Policy; and a mentor to generations of professional conservatives. He had a profound impact on countless others along the way, myself included. I’m honored to have known him, and to honor him here. He will be missed."

----  Arnold Steinberg,  "National Review",   12/20

Oh, agreed, @just bee ,   Buckley's zest for life and peanut butter are just a few of the myriad things to admire!  So wish that he were still here....

Honored Contributor

Bruce Herschensohn, RIP

gettyimages-641488228-612x612.jpg

Honored Contributor

@Oznell wrote:

So neat that you knew Bruce Herschensohn, @golding76 --  I was very sorry to read a few days ago of his death.  What a gent!  And extremely smart man--I'm not surprised you caught his attention.  I can still hear his mellifluous voice!  There were lots of nice tributes to him on his passing.  Here's the last paragraph of one from a former aide to Senator James Buckley of New York (brother to William, small world!) in "National Review"--

"Bruce was so many things in his life: A documentary producer and director; a writer of screenplays, music, columns, and books; a lecturer and debater; a television and radio commentator; a foreign-affairs expert and senior fellow at the Pepperdine University School of Public Policy; and a mentor to generations of professional conservatives. He had a profound impact on countless others along the way, myself included. I’m honored to have known him, and to honor him here. He will be missed."

----  Arnold Steinberg,  "National Review",   12/20

Oh, agreed, @just bee ,   Buckley's zest for life and peanut butter are just a few of the myriad things to admire!  So wish that he were still here....

@Oznell 

It's official.  I'm out of the loop.  I hadn't heard that Bruce Herschensohn had passed.

One thing that NR has always done well: Obits.

This one was no different.  Godspeed.

~My philosophy: Dogs are God's most perfect creatures. Angels, here on Earth, who teach us to be better human beings.~
Respected Contributor

Thanks for heads up. Her reviews are very interesting

some are outrageous. There are book compilations of 

her reviews, well worth reading.

Honored Contributor

just bee,

I agree.  Buckley's mastery of the English language was thrilling.  He not only had a command of vocabulary and syntax but also was blessed with exceptional diction and manner of delivering his thoughts.  His cadence was his alone.  Of course he was knowledgeable and logical. 

Truly sui generis, as he might have said. 

Honored Contributor

oznell,

It is a stretch to say that I "knew Bruce Herschensohn."   I wish it were otherwise, but it isn't.  My cousin knew him well, though.  To recap, a female cousin and I were walking in Georgetown (when it was still a very nice place) in Fall 1973, I think, and Bruce happened to be on the same street.  Knowing my cousin fairly well, he stopped and started chatting with her (and was introduced to me).  The conversation lasted about 10 minutes and then we all went on our way.

Later that Thanksgiving weekend, I was with my parents in their home in Maryland and received a call from my cousin.  She said that Bruce had called her and asked for my telephone number in Miami, that he was interested in seeing me there the next time he accompanied President Nixon to Key Biscayne. Nixon's Winter White House was located there.  I told my cousin that she could give him my number, and that is the last I heard about anything regarding him.

Thinking about this last night, I laughingly wondered if Nixon had nixed me because of my political leanings.

I, too, was sorry to read that he recently passed.  Bruce certainly was an accomplished man.  May his memory be eternal!

Honored Contributor

Such a cool story, @golding76 !

Honored Contributor

oznell,

William F. Buckley, Jr., is in the air!  Several days ago, you, just bee and I were remarking about how much we admired Buckley and miss him.  The truth is, I hadn't read or heard his name for quite a while before dredging it up for my post.

Well, as I read my Washington Post today, I was delighted when I saw that columnist Catherine Rampell invoked his name reverently two times.  She was lamenting his absence from the conservative scene. 

I thought you might like to hear this.

Honored Contributor

@golding76 

@Oznell 

image.png

image.png

image.png

image.png