Esteemed Contributor

Re: TCM SHOWCASES LEGENDARY CRITIC, PAULINE KAEL FRIDAY 11:30 P.M. EASTERN

Another surprising favorite of hers:   "Jaws” (1975)

JAWS

Honored Contributor

@Sooner--   yes!   Reading her was like getting a rare treat in the mail!   When I was most under her "literary" influence, I even attempted to write like her, ha...

Honored Contributor

@Oznell Well, but didn't her writing help you think critically and help you structure a paper?  It sure did me!  Some of the high school teachers thought I was a little off the tracks, but it paid off in college! 

Honored Contributor

Another great example of her lack of film snobbery, @Johnnyeager !   She could feel the sinewy "pull" of certain kinds of mass entertainment, and render it for readers in colorful, understandable terms...

Honored Contributor

You're right @Sooner ,  it did help me too!

Esteemed Contributor

One Flew Over the Cuckoo’s Nest” (1975)

Honored Contributor

A little off topic, but I remember one issue of the New Yorker devoted mostly to to the subject of garlic.

Why don't we have things like that now?  You could learn so much from the New Yorker then.  

Honored Contributor

So true, @Sooner ,  the halcyon days of the New Yorker seem long behind them now.   Something to do with puffed-up journalistic self-importance, I expect!

@Johnnyeager,  you've inspired me to post one of my favorite passages from the above-referenced New Yorker piece she did on Cary Grant,  "The Man from Dream City".  (By the way, that whole essay is readily readable just by googling "The Man from Dream City",   and it is so, so well worth the read, esp. for us film fanatics.)

"Grant’s marital farces with Irene Dunne probably wouldn’t have been as effective as they were if he hadn’t suggested a bedevilled constancy in the midst of the confusion. The heroine who chases him knows that deep down he wants to be caught only by her. He draws women to him by making them feel he needs them, yet the last thing he’d do would be to come right out and say it. In “Only Angels Have Wings,” Jean Arthur half falls apart waiting for him to make a move; in “His Girl Friday,” he’s unabashed about everything in the world except why he doesn’t want Rosalind Russell to go off with Ralph Bellamy. He isn’t weak, yet something in him makes him hold back—and that something (a slight uncertainty? the fear of a commitment? a mixture of ardor and idealism?) makes him more exciting."      Pauline Kael,  New Yorker 1975

Honored Contributor

I remember the name and that she was a movie critic but have to admit I didn't read her reviews.  However, after reading this post and comments along with some of her critiques, I just taped it .  I rarely read reviews by movie critics but any one who praised JAWS is a person of interest for me.  LOL

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

oznell,

So glad I came to this forum now (hadn't visited all day).  I read Kael religiously back in the day.  I've set the show to record.

Ah, my past.  Pauline Kael and Andrew Sarris.

I also had a subscription in the '60s to "Ramparts" magazine.  No wonder Bruce Herschensohn never called me for a date when I lived in Miami.  He was part of the Nixon administration and would visit Key Biscayne with Nixon.  Bruce probably checked me out for my political leanings.  LOL  He had asked my cousin for my number after she and I ran into him in Georgetown on one of my visits back home in the early '70s.  Glad I didn't wait for his call... It never came.  My cousin (conservative) knew him well; they were good friends.

I just remembered.  I also subscribed to the "National Review."  Yes, I admired Bill Buckley.  That is what is so different now.  People are so unwilling to learn what the opposition is saying or thinking.  But of course, the thinking was more balanced then and not rancorous as it is now.  Buckley of the felicitous phrase!  Ah!  Loved him!