Super Contributor

TCM Remembers Lauren Bacall - Monday & Tuesday 9/15-9/16

Turner Classic Movies (TCM) pays tribute to the exceptional talents of Lauren Bacall, a beautiful and legendary star, on Monday and Tuesday, September 15th and 16.

Bacall passed away in August at 89 years of age, during TCM's annual month-long Summer Under The Stars, postponing the usual tribute it pays celebrating the career of a recently deceased Hollywood luminary.

Appropriately, this two-day commemoration consists of highlights from Bacall's impressive filmography as well as an interview, concluding on what would have been her 90th birthday.

/></p> <p> </p> <p>From tcm.com:<br/>  <br/> Turner Classic Movies will celebrate the life and career of legendary actress Lauren Bacall with a 24-hour marathon of memorable performances, including all four films in which she co-starred with husband Humphrey Bogart. TCM's tribute to Bacall, who passed away August 12 at the age of 89, will air Monday, Sept. 15, beginning at 8 p.m. (ET), and will conclude Tuesday, Sept. 16, her 90th birthday.
Turner Classic Movies will open its remembrance of Bacall's extraordinary life and career with the TCM original Private Screenings: Lauren Bacall (2005), a fascinating, in-depth conversation with the star hosted by Robert Osborne. It will be followed by Bacall's film debut, the Howard Hawks classic To Have and Have Not (1944), which also introduced her to the man who would become her husband, Humphrey Bogart. Their subsequent films - The Big Sleep (1946), Dark Passage (1947) and Key Largo (1948) - are also included in the marathon.

TCM's tribute to Bacall includes Young Man with a Horn (1950), with Kirk Douglas and Doris Day, in which she delivers a powerful dramatic performance frequently cited as her best. Bacall demonstrates her comic abilities in How to Marry a Millionaire (1953), starring Betty Grable and Marilyn Monroe; Designing Woman (1957), with Gregory Peck; and S~e~x and the Single Girl (1964), starring Tony Curtis, Natalie Wood and Henry Fonda. Rounding out the marathon, Bacall stars opposite Gary Cooper in Bright Leaf (1950), John Wayne in Blood Alley (1955) and Paul Newman in Harper (1966).

Super Contributor

Re: TCM Remembers Lauren Bacall - Monday & Tuesday 9/15-9/16

O thanks Keri! I love the old movies on TMC & Bacall was so pretty & a great actress (:

Honored Contributor

Well, it's about time. I've seen maybe one magazine with her on the cover and very little about her death-she was a legend and Robin Williams' death got all the coverage. Not right.

Honored Contributor

At least ummmmm maybe every other day or every few days on Entertainment Weekly XM radio the hosts on my favorite EW show play her Maxwell House Coffee add where she says, (paraphrasing), 'Ummmm! Soooo good! At the end of the day I love to come home and have my Maxwell House coffee'!

She says it so smooth with that velvet voice. They love it and so do I.

Honored Contributor

If I watched/listened to shows like that I might have seen or heard it, but, ummmm, I don't.

Super Contributor

I just watched Robert Osborne's excellent Private Screenings interview with Lauren Bacall, which just made me admire and miss her even more. What a beautiful woman and an incredible actress.

Years ago, I read her autobiography, Lauren Bacall By Myself, a title that can be interpreted in various ways. She said she didn't use a ghostwriter. In fact, she wrote the entire manuscript in longhand on legal pads. It was funny, poignant and brutally honest. She wrote exactly the way she spoke, directly from the heart, and it was manifest that the book was all Betty.

One of my fondest memories of Lauren Bacall was seeing her on Broadway in her Tony Award winning role of Margo Channing in the musical, Applause. I loved it all the more because it was based on one of my favorite films, All About Eve. A decade later, when she returned to Broadway in Woman of the Year, which was a musical adaptation of the classic Spencer Tracy-Katharine Hepburn comedy, (Bacall idolized Hepburn), Bacall won another Tony and I was thrilled to see that show as well.

When you consider some of the great actresses of the past such as Bacall, Katharine Hepburn, Barbara Stanwyck, Joan Crawford and Bette Davis - you can't help but wonder what happened to the elements that made movies so magical then: beautifully written scripts, superb directing and outstanding acting. One can't help but wonder which of today's stars (other than Meryl Streep and only a few others) will be remembered and remain beloved decades from now like these icons of the past.

Honored Contributor

I feel so dumb, I didn't know Applause was All About Eve!!! I only know the Bacall I saw on screen and lost interest when she went to the stage. I read her book ages ago and can't remember a thing about it-didn't know she wrote it all out in long hand. She was quite a woman. I also saw the interview with Osbourne ages ago it seems. She's sure a no nonsense kind of gal. Osbourne said she still makes his heart skip a beat. I loved to see her smoke-To Have and Have Not is my favorite. 'Gotta match?'. I think Slim was a perfect description.