Honored Contributor

TCM Noir Alley - then and now

I am a fairly recent watcher of TCM and mostly added it to my tv lineup to see Noir Alley offerings.

Lately, Noir Alley films seem to be those TCM has shown in the not-too-distant past, i.e., reruns.  I mean,  I know there must be a limited number of choices, but does it seem to anyone else that this summer there seem to be more reruns than usual?  Maybe as a more recent viewer, I'm totally wrong about this?

And for those who do watch, it also seems that Eddie Muller's commentary is the same for each distinct film.  In other words, if, say, each time Dark Passage is shown, Eddie's remarks are the same for each showing.  Has anyone noticed this?  Or again, maybe sometimes but not all?  

[was Homegirl] Love to be home . . . thus the screen name. Joined 2003.
Honored Contributor

Re: TCM Noir Alley - then and now

@GingerPeach wrote:

I am a fairly recent watcher of TCM and mostly added it to my tv lineup to see Noir Alley offerings.

Lately, Noir Alley films seem to be those TCM has shown in the not-too-distant past, i.e., reruns.  I mean,  I know there must be a limited number of choices, but does it seem to anyone else that this summer there seem to be more reruns than usual?  Maybe as a more recent viewer, I'm totally wrong about this?

And for those who do watch, it also seems that Eddie Muller's commentary is the same for each distinct film.  In other words, if, say, each time Dark Passage is shown, Eddie's remarks are the same for each showing.  Has anyone noticed this?  Or again, maybe sometimes but not all?  

I know they're showing Asphalt Jungle this week-end for the umpteenth time. I would say when they run Dark Passage (never enough Bogart for me) again, it's with the Eddie Mueller segment attached. The whole thing is rerun together each time. At least that's the way I figure it.

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

@GingerPeach 

I rarely catch Noir Alley because I'm not up that late most nights Cat LOL

However, as to reruns, I have complained about the same thing on the regular programming.  Seems like every time I tune in, it's a movie that was just on.  I've given up seeing anything "new" in the lineup.

I don't get it. 

Perhaps they do not have an unlimited library, but the repeats are sometimes within the same week!  

As much as I love old movies, even I get tired of watching the same ones over and over and over.

The other night, "Gaslight" was on for the umpteenth time.

They are doing a round of Paul Newman movies, and some of those I've not seen repeatedly, so I watched.  

But, the nightly selection is mostly stale for me.

Honored Contributor

This is timely, as I was just getting ready to do an alert for a thriller airing on the Fox Movie Channel tomorrow, precisely because TCM has been so repetitive!

Agree that Noir Alley has had few home runs this season, and it does seem that Eddie's comments are not fresh for films he has already shown?  Not sure about that, but think I have noticed.  (I feel guilty criticizing Eddie, since he is otherwise such a boon to TCM, ha.)

In the meantime, back to Fox Movie Channel...

Honored Contributor

I never listen to the hosts.  It could be a repeat or he's reading from a script he used previously.  

50% of the films made before 1950 were not stored properly and disintegrated because of materials they used then or intentionally destroyed to make room for newer ones.  

Those before 1950 we see on TCM have been restored.  It wasn't until 1980 it was determined films are art and should be preserved.  

As for silent films, 80% are gone.  

So, there aren't that many older films left, probably the reason for repeats over time.  Restoration continues, though.  But, recently, yes, I have been seeing a lot of repeats.  

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Oznell wrote:

This is timely, as I was just getting ready to do an alert for a thriller airing on the Fox Movie Channel tomorrow, precisely because TCM has been so repetitive!

Agree that Noir Alley has had few home runs this season, and it does seem that Eddie's comments are not fresh for films he has already shown?  Not sure about that, but think I have noticed.  (I feel guilty criticizing Eddie, since he is otherwise such a boon to TCM, ha.)

In the meantime, back to Fox Movie Channel...

I've also noticed FMC has films that seem fresher (to me, anyway), @Oznell 

I think I must have first noticed the repetitiveness on TMC TCM when you posted more about non-noir films than the noir posts that were so wonderful to read last year when I began to notice them.

Thanks again for all you do re films!

[was Homegirl] Love to be home . . . thus the screen name. Joined 2003.
Trusted Contributor

Now that we are almost twenty years into this century, I think it is time for TCM to expand their offerings. They seem to be stuck in a time warp with regard to what is considered "classic".

Honored Contributor

@FLgardener wrote:

Now that we are almost twenty years into this century, I think it is time for TCM to expand their offerings. They seem to be stuck in a time warp with regard to what is considered "classic".

I don't know, I like their movies. Classics are timeless. There are only so many from that era and I think they do a pretty good job of showing what they can get their hands on. When they run movies that are in color, or maybe even 10 years later, they just lose something. Maybe it's the ambiance or the nostalgia, I don't know. I only know I'll take what I can get and yes, I'll watch them over and over. Come to think of it, I'll be ready to watch It's a Wonderful Life this year-had to forego it the past couple years (yep, it happens) but I'm ready this winter. Don't think I don't watch Fox movies because I do. The best of both worlds, eh what?

Trusted Contributor

Oh, yes @Judaline , I agree with you. I wouldn't want to eliminate the fine TCM rotation. I just want them to add to it. I am a diehard fan of fine cinema, including the great "oldies".

Honored Contributor

@FLgardener wrote:

Oh, yes @Judaline , I agree with you. I wouldn't want to eliminate the fine TCM rotation. I just want them to add to it. I am a diehard fan of fine cinema, including the great "oldies".

I think it's just that they aren't available. This a.m. we watched a movie from 1936!! Normally, I don't watch the really old ones but it drew me in. The acting was so good, the sets opulent-everything was satin, lol. Anyway, it was a delightful, predictable movie. Robert Taylor (I swear he was wearing lipstick and eye shadow) and Janet Gaynor. Film quality was good.