Honored Contributor

TCM Mr. Smith Goes To Washington 8:00 pm ET

[ Edited ]

I've always loved this film with Jimmy Stewart.  Things haven't changed much in D.C. over all these years since this film was made in 1939, with the storyline involving corruption!  Fillibuster anyone?  Gosh, 1939 was such a great year for films, including Gone With the Wind (the Oscar Winner for Best Movie) and the Wizard of Oz.  

Following this film is Goodbye Mr. Chips, a film that is beloved by many but one I've never gotten into and wouldn't watch.

The 10 films nominated for best picture in 1939

Honored Contributor

Re: TCM Mr. Smith Goes To Washington 8:00 pm ET

@Pearlee Jimmy Stewart is the best and this is a classic....I've already recorded. Thanks for the heads up.  Enjoy!

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

Agree Mr. Smith is a great movie and holds up very well!!  Although I wouldn't say Goodbye Mr. Chips is "beloved" by me, it is an excellent film mainly because of the great performance by Robert Donat (who beat Clark Gable for best actor) and a small role by Greer Garson, who at that time was not yet well known.  Not sure why you "wouldn't watch"????

I would say Stagecoach, The Wizard of Oz , GWTW and Wuthering Heights are beloved by me!!!

Honored Contributor

@phoenixbrd wrote:

@Pearlee Jimmy Stewart is the best and this is a classic....I've already recorded. Thanks for the heads up.  Enjoy!

@phoenixbrd   I agree!

Honored Contributor

There were noticeably no women senators in this 1939 film.