Honored Contributor

TCM MARKS MEMORIAL DAY WITH MOVIES

All weekend long, TCM is honoring the fallen on this solemn holiday with a series of war movies showing war in all its facets.

MV5BNGY0N2Q1YjgtZTZjZi00Y2ExLTgyM2EtZDNiYmIwZmM5MzIzXkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyMTk2MzI2Ng@@._V1_.jpg

Too many to list, so please check your guide if interested. It's technically not a marathon, since they are insterspersing the films with non-war movies too.

A few highlights:

"Up Periscope"--   James Garner, Edmund O'Brien    Saturday 4:00 p.m. Eastern

from-here-to-eternity-slide3.jpg

"From Here to Eternity"--  Burt Lancaster, Montgomery Clift, Donna Reed, Frank Sinatra

Saturday 8:00 p.m. Eastern

"Fighter Squadron"--  Edmund O'Brien, Robert Stack

Saturday, 10:15 p.m. Eastern

Annex - Reed, Donna (They Were Expendable)_NRFPT_01.jpg

"They Were Expendable" --  John Wayne, Robert Montgomery, Donna Reed, Ward Bond

Sunday, 7:30 a.m. Eastern

"The Great Escape" --  Steve McQueen, James Garner

Sunday, 11:45 a.m. Eastern

action-1200-1200-675-675-crop-000000.jpg

"Action in the North Atlantic"  Raymond Massey, Humphrey Bogart

Sunday, 4:15 p.m. Eastern

Destination-Tokyo-1943-war-movie-Cary-Grant.jpg

"Destination Tokyo"   Cary Grant, John Garfield, Dane Clark

Sunday, 8:00 p.m. Eastern

And it goes on and on.  Some excellent films, filled with fine actors from Hollywood's golden age.

Honored Contributor

Re: TCM MARKS MEMORIAL DAY WITH MOVIES

When I was a younger woman in my late teens/early twenties, I went through a phase of interest in WWII.  I saw many movies and also read quite a few books about the subject.  Of course reading about some of the horror was not easy for me, such tragedy.  Once I finished that phase I hardly read any thing further about the War but still would watch movies relating to it.

The movies on TCM are filled with some great actors, story lines and action.  From Here to Eternity is one of the movies I still watch because I always loved Montgomery Clift and Sinatra's performance . 

Bless all those who sacrificed their lives fighting for freedom.  They are all heroes and may we never forget.

Honored Contributor

Beautiful sentiment, @spiderw .

Honored Contributor

@Oznell wrote:

All weekend long, TCM is honoring the fallen on this solemn holiday with a series of war movies showing war in all its facets.

MV5BNGY0N2Q1YjgtZTZjZi00Y2ExLTgyM2EtZDNiYmIwZmM5MzIzXkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyMTk2MzI2Ng@@._V1_.jpg

Too many to list, so please check your guide if interested. It's technically not a marathon, since they are insterspersing the films with non-war movies too.

A few highlights:

"Up Periscope"--   James Garner, Edmund O'Brien    Saturday 4:00 p.m. Eastern

from-here-to-eternity-slide3.jpg

"From Here to Eternity"--  Burt Lancaster, Montgomery Clift, Donna Reed, Frank Sinatra

Saturday 8:00 p.m. Eastern

"Fighter Squadron"--  Edmund O'Brien, Robert Stack

Saturday, 10:15 p.m. Eastern

Annex - Reed, Donna (They Were Expendable)_NRFPT_01.jpg

"They Were Expendable" --  John Wayne, Robert Montgomery, Donna Reed, Ward Bond

Sunday, 7:30 a.m. Eastern

"The Great Escape" --  Steve McQueen, James Garner

Sunday, 11:45 a.m. Eastern

action-1200-1200-675-675-crop-000000.jpg

"Action in the North Atlantic"  Raymond Massey, Humphrey Bogart

Sunday, 4:15 p.m. Eastern

Destination-Tokyo-1943-war-movie-Cary-Grant.jpg

"Destination Tokyo"   Cary Grant, John Garfield, Dane Clark

Sunday, 8:00 p.m. Eastern

And it goes on and on.  Some excellent films, filled with fine actors from Hollywood's golden age.

Already recorded Battleground. One of my faves.

Esteemed Contributor

The Great Escape is my favorite....

Valued Contributor

We really enjoyed "Go For Broke". Insightful story about Japanese-American /Hawaii natives who bravely served in our army. Different themes than some other war movies. Not really a big Van Johnson fan but he was good. Some things to think about. They had a tough time.
Honored Contributor

@birdQ13 wrote:
We really enjoyed "Go For Broke". Insightful story about Japanese-American /Hawaii natives who bravely served in our army. Different themes than some other war movies. Not really a big Van Johnson fan but he was good. Some things to think about. They had a tough time.

I recorded it because I felt it was one we missed. Glad to know it's worthwhile. For a song and dance man he sure made a lot of dramatic movies. The one where he lost his leg and I think Spencer Tracy played Dolittle (?) was really good-Phyllis Thaxter was his wife. Loved that movie and the title escapes me!!!!

Valued Contributor

Just watched "12:00 High" again. So good. Gregory Peck, Dean Jagger, other great actors. Great screenplay, capturing the trauma these brave soldiers faced. Some amazing real footage. Such hard work and performance required at all ranks, I am touched.