Honored Contributor

Re: TCM - HItchcock Weekend

[ Edited ]

@Johnnyeager wrote:

"Rebecca" was last seen on TCM in July 2017.

Shortly after that TCM lost the rights to show Hitchcock films produced by David O Selznick:

Rebecca 

Notorious

Spellbound 

The Paradise Case

("North By Northwest" is one of the films most frequently shown on TCM.)

One wonders if they lost the rights for some reason or declined to purchase the rights. Personally, I'm not interested in seeing again most of the Hitchcock films most often offered by TCM, worthy though they might be... Not much of a fan of James Stewart and frankly, as an actress in most roles, can take or leave Doris Day...

In my pantry with my cupcakes...
Esteemed Contributor

Excellent point about pricing.  The agreement may have expired and the price for this package may have jumped considerably. 

Criterion is still releasing three of the titles in successively upgraded Blu-ray/DVD versions.  Their acquisition of titles may have driven the cost up for everyone. 

Honored Contributor

Re: TCM - HItchcock Weekend

[ Edited ]

@stevieb @Witchy Woman @Johnnyeager 

I read an article (dont quite remember where)  TCM  viewers were complaining about too many repeats on TCM and the answer was that they were getting a bit "stingy", or as the new General Manager put it, a cost cutting initative was implemented along with employee layoffs to remain commercial free, also prices have gone up due to competition for leases and purchases/licensing of classic movies...But come on TCM these silly scifi movies from the 60's are getting to be a routine......TCM should be able to do better than that..... I used to enjoy the little "gems" TCM would show from the 30's and 40's in the early mornings or afternoons, maybe the actors werent well known, but great plots and well acted movies that I enjoyed immensly......Im sure these wouldnt cost a bundle....Woman Frustrated

Also some of the cable systems say viewership for TCM is low, so to make it profitable for them to carry the station they moved TCM to a higher package to compensate for less viewers, and viewers are balking, and not paying..Streaming services are also cutting into profits. TCM is owned by Warner Bros which is pushing their streaming service HBO MAX as a way to watch  classic favorites.  As people cut cable, TCM can still be seen on-demand on paid steaming services Sling and Hulu.....AMC which also shows classic movies decided to add commercials, and Paramount Studios has its own movie channel which shows movie classics...... these compete for some of the same movies.... On Mother's Day, you could watch "I Remember MaMa" on either TCM or AMC.....

Animals are reliable, full of love, true in their affections, grateful. Difficult standards for people to live up to.”
Honored Contributor

@Johnnyeager wrote:

Shortly after that TCM lost the rights to show Hitchcock films produced by David O Selznick:

Rebecca 

Notorious

Spellbound 

The Paradise Case

What? Why? 

I have seen Notorious numerous times.

Esteemed Contributor

"Notorious " was last shown on TCM in July 2017.

It has been shown a total of 53 times by TCM.

Esteemed Contributor

@Spurt 

Thanks for the explanation.  It makes sense.

Watching TV, or should I saw trying to watch TV has become a big pain in the backside.

I don't want to start streaming anything as I pay good money to get lots of stations...which show absolutely nothing.  It's just a big headache.

Honestly, I'm one step away from not having any TV at all!

Honored Contributor

@stevieb wrote:

I don't know, I wish TCM would mix it up. I like Hitchcock movies but it seems it's always the same Hitchcock movies. How about yanking Rebecca out of the vault.

@stevieb 

Absolutely love Rebecca! Great performances.

Honored Contributor

@Johnnyeager wrote:

Rebecca 

Notorious

Spellbound 

The Paradise Case

@Johnnyeager 

That explains why we don't see those anymore. Wonder what happened? Wanted too much $ for the rights to air them? 

Valued Contributor

@wilma wrote:

@Johnnyeager wrote:

Rebecca 

Notorious

Spellbound 

The Paradise Case

@Johnnyeager 

That explains why we don't see those anymore. Wonder what happened? Wanted too much $ for the rights to air them? 

did they all move to HBOMax? I know they have a ton of older movies. I just can't justify paying for another streaming service ~ unless I drop one. So many shows and movies and not enough time to watch them all. 

Trusted Contributor

@stevieb  I agree. I would love to see "To Catch a Thief" as well as "Rebecca". They are 2 of his best.