Frequent Contributor

TCM - FAVORITE OLD MOVIES YOU COULD WATCH OVER AND OVER!

I love to go to the movies.  Lots of great ones to see on the big screen.

Oh but give me a comfortable sofa, a snuggly afghan, a glass of wine and an old movie on Turner Classic Movies and I am in heaven.

No matter the genre, there is something about those classic films that I can watch over and over.  Does it bother me that most are not in color?  Nope.  I prefer to watch as the director originally shot them.  Not colorization for me!

If you are not yet a fan, I invite you to take a look....

Bette Davis in All About Eve....the most perfect film about the theater and ambition that you will ever see.  Simply wonderfully written and beautifully acted.

Now, Voyager.....another beautiful Bette Davis film.

The Best Years of Our Lives.....WWII Film about three soldiers homecoming.  If you have never seen it...watch it.  You will never forget it.

Hitchcock.....the directors work is all over TCM.  The Master of Suspense.  The actors he worked with over the years just shine and their performances are unmatched.  Watch Rebecca, Notorious, Suspicion, Rear Window, Spellbound....just to name a few.

The Quiet Man.....John Wayne and Maureen O'Hara in a beautiful film that never fails to touch my heart.  A must for anyone Irish. 

I could go on and on.  There are so many films that I absolutely love.  Sometimes I think I was born in the wrong era....

These films have survived the test of time.  I invite you to take some of your time to watch and enjoy.  I am sure you will discover more for yourself. 

Honored Contributor

Re: TCM - FAVORITE OLD MOVIES YOU COULD WATCH OVER AND OVER!

I enjoy comedies starring Katherine Hepburn, with either Spencer Tracy or Cary Grant.

Highlighted
Contributor

I agree. The Best Years of our Lives is probably my favorite movie. You have

to see it without cuts, the whole 3 or so hours. It is amazing and beautiful and real. A true American story. Having Dana Andrews in it does not hurt one bit, either.

Esteemed Contributor

I agree with being born in the wrong era.  I love movies from the 30s & 40s. (I am very happy with "my" 70s music however!!)

I love any Bette Davis or Norma Shearer movie.  Just love TCM

Esteemed Contributor

I went back to bed for awhile earlier (not feeling too good) and started flipping channels, came across (on TCM) Dr. Jekyl & Mr. Hyde w/Spencer Tracy, Ingrid Bergman & Lana Turner and caught about 90% of it. That was followed by Captain Courageous, of which I watched maybe half and now A Guy Named Joe is on, must be Spencer Tracy day on TCM. I never realized before this morning that I even had that channel and all the goodies they show. Usually I stick to just a few channels with the shows I like but now that I've discovered TCM going to be checking it out often.

Honored Contributor

There are several old ones that I enjoy as well.

Today seems to be Spencer Tracy Day, which is fine by me.  I'm dealing with a bum knee so I've been doing a lot of sitting in the recliner.  This morning I watched Captains Corageous and I see Desk Set and Judgement at Nuremberg are on the schedule later on, not to mention Boy's Town after midnight - all favorites of mine.  I want to try to catch Woman of the Year, this afternoon as I don't think I've seen that one before.  Thanks TCM.

Honored Contributor

I couldn't agree more. Yesterday was Hedy Lamarr day. I watched several movies I never saw before. And especially the ones with William Powell and Jimmy Stewart.

I always check to see what movies are on TCM before I watch anything else.

August is a good month on TCM. Each day is devoted to one star each day.

Respected Contributor

I love The Best Years of Our Lives also. That's my #1 choice. I also like to watch over and over again: Meet Me In St. Louis with Judy Garland, Love in the Afternoon with Audrey Hepburn and Gary Cooper, Sunset Boulevard with Gloria Swanson, Some Like it Hot with Jack Lemon and Tony Curtis. This is just to name a few of my favs.

Honored Contributor

@shaggygirl wrote:

I went back to bed for awhile earlier (not feeling too good) and started flipping channels, came across (on TCM) Dr. Jekyl & Mr. Hyde w/Spencer Tracy, Ingrid Bergman & Lana Turner and caught about 90% of it. That was followed by Captain Courageous, of which I watched maybe half and now A Guy Named Joe is on, must be Spencer Tracy day on TCM. I never realized before this morning that I even had that channel and all the goodies they show. Usually I stick to just a few channels with the shows I like but now that I've discovered TCM going to be checking it out often.

NOOO! - I didn't realize I missed Captain Courageous. That is one movie I could watch over and over again. I stayed up late to watch Hedy Lamarr and Jimmy Stewart. Should have checked the schedule.

Super Contributor

I also agree. My husband and I raised 2 sons. Their adults now. Husband doesn't get it; sons don't get it, so it's just me and the old movies. Two that I like are "An Affair to Remember", and "Wuthering Heights". The second one was my mom's and my favorite. She's gone now, and haven't seen that movie in quite some time. Then around the holidays there's "White Christmas" and " Holiday Inn". I prefer a movie without all the shooting, car crashes and building explosions. Saw one yesterday that was way over the top. Guess I may be showing my age! Maybe I can get my granddaugters to appreciate those type of movies....but they're too young yet.