Trusted Contributor

TCM Alert! 11/4/2018 10:45 a.m. CST The More The Merrier

[ Edited ]

This is a wonderful gem of a movie starring Jean Arthur, Joel McCrea and Charles Coburn. Charles Coburn won a Best Supporting Actor Academy Award for his role in this movie at the age of 65 is coming on this weekend on 11/4/2018. 

It is a romantic comedy that is an absolute delight! The setting is during WW II in  Washington D.C. and there is a severe housing shortage.  Jean Arthur plays a single "engaged" woman who has a two bedroom apartment and Charles Coburn is a millionaire in town for government business and finagles his way into sharing the apartment. Well, he rents his half of his bedroom (complete with  an extraMurphy bed) to Joel McCrea. You can imagine what fun follows and the witty dialogue is perfect. Charles Coburn is a hoot and the whole plot is pure escapism. Set your recorders and get set to enjoy.

I know I have posted about this movie before and want everyone to be able to watch it. You will enjoy it, I promise! 

Honored Contributor

Re: TCM Alert! 11/4/2018 10:45 a.m. CST The More The Merrier

Thanks, @TexasMom1--  it is delightful, on so many levels!

Trusted Contributor

Re: TCM Alert! 11/4/2018 10:45 a.m. CST The More The Merrier

A year before this movie was made, Jean Arthur made a movie with Cary Grant and Ronald Colman, "The Talk of the Town". I think after seeing both of these movies I really came to realize what a great comedic actress Jean Arthur was; not in a slap stick fashion, but she could handle the zingers with the best of them. It made me a huge fan of her movies. I have tried to buy every CD I can find of her movie roles. 

She had the worst case of stage fright all through her acting career and I felt she retired too early. If I remember right she was in a television series "The Jean Arthur Show" in the very early sixities. It only lasted one season at that. She never acted again. TCM feels that she was the best comedic actress of her time, in the late 30's and the 40's.