Honored Contributor

👍🏾 Sybil - The MOVIES Channel 5/18/2020 👍🏾

3:45 pm EST

Starring:  Joanne Woodward, Sally Field

"A young woman with seventeen separate personalities comes to grips with her illness when a psychologist is prompted to probe the reason for this phenomenon and discovers she was tortured in childhood."

Movie is based on the true story of Shirley Ardell Mason an American artist.

proxy-image.jpg

Due to this channel's "limited" commercials, this movie will be on for 5 hours! faint.gifThe movie is actually 255 minutes long (4 hrs & 15 minutes). Smiley LOL

Of note:  Joanne Woodward who starred in the movie The Three Faces Of Eve, plays the psychologist in this movie.

I've only seen this movie once.  The only personality I remember is the one that speaks perfect french.

"Never argue with a fool. Onlookers may not be able to tell the difference."

220-AuCC-US-CRM-Header-Update.gif

Honored Contributor

Re: 👍🏾 Sybil - The MOVIES Channel 5/18/2020 👍🏾

[ Edited ]

@Mz iMac   I just saw that this will be showing.  I remember this well, and can't bear to watch again remembering what was done to her as a child, just horrific.

Honored Contributor

absolutely loved this mini series and have watched it a few times over the years.

cannot believe it is from 1976!

of course, it is based on some fact, but much of it seems to have been fiction.

Shirley Mason was the psychiatric patient whose life was portrayed in the 1973 book Sybil. The book and subsequent film caused an enormous spike in reported cases of multiple personality disorder. Mason later admitted she had faked her multiple personalities.

The case remains controversial, as Wilbur's psychiatric files were apparently destroyed upon her death, and Mason is also deceased.

https://www.npr.org/2011/10/20/141514464/real-sybil-admits-multiple-personalities-were-fake

"The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing." - Albert Einstein
Esteemed Contributor

I read the book and saw the mini-series with Joanne Woodward and Sally Field.Both were excellent in their own right.  Hard to believe both were released more than 40 years ago.  Time sure flies.  My studious nature was always curious as to what happened to Sybil's mother which turned her into such a cruel monster.   

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Trix wrote:

I read the book and saw the mini-series with Joanne Woodward and Sally Field.Both were excellent in their own right.  Hard to believe both were released more than 40 years ago.  Time sure flies.  My studious nature was always curious as to what happened to Sybil's mother which turned her into such a cruel monster.   

@Trix  I too read the book and saw the series. Very interesting question re: Sybil's mother--what happened to her in her young life....the damage that disturbed woman did to her child was absolutely deplorable.  

Esteemed Contributor

Darn I missed it.

I knew it was comming on but I forgot  Smiley Sad

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

What the mother did to this child was unspeakable.I saw this movie years ago and to this day, I get a sick feeling in the pit of my stomach to think of it. It’s one of those things you can’t unsee but wish you could. There must be a place in h- - - reserved for human beings like this.

Respected Contributor

The mother was reportedly schizophrenic...untreated