Honored Contributor

Re: Susan Hayward "I Want to Live" Friday TCM Friday 3:45 p.m. Eastern

Another Susan Hayward fan here for many many years.

I caught a bit of it again yesterday, was not able to watch it all.

Respected Contributor

I haven't seen this movies for years but set it to record yesterday.

Thanks for letting us know it was on!

Formerly lainey since Shop Talk days. Had to change nickname due to new Forum
Esteemed Contributor

@Oznellwrote:

3:45 p.m. Eastern--  "I Want to Live!"--   TCM continues to bubble up the "suds-fest" as Oscar month rolls along!

This is an interesting look at the criminal mind, with the sad case of con woman and prostitute Barbara Graham, hoping not to get the death penalty.  What can redeem this type of material is the performer, and Susan Hayward is that performer.  She has the kind of vitality that pops right through the screen and grabs you, where it hurts.

Speaking of vitality, then there's:

6:00 p.m. Eastern--  "Butterfield 8"--   Elizabeth Taylor is tormented, beautiful, wears chic clothes, disappoints her ever-hopeful mother, and has many, many 'gentlemen callers'.   But one of them (Laurence Harvey) finds she is not a throwaway item, she is a force to be reckoned with, and, although star-crossed, they fall intensely in love....   Very palpable chemistry between these two, I must say!

Then,

8:00 p.m. Eastern--  "Suspicion"--   More tempestuous romance, courtesy of Hitchcock.

Gently bred Joah Fontaine loves Cary Grant, but can't help but wonder about his intentions, even after they are married.  Nobody does "ambiguity" better than Cary Grant, in that maddeningly tantalizing way.....   Love the almost "fluorescent" glass of milk he carries upstairs to his beloved, ha.

@Oznell

"...could not log on for almost two days, but knew you would have these (some) *GREATS lined up.

Absolutely love anything that Susan Hayward was in.

She was a gutsy type of lady, but an intense bold loaded with integrity that never left her persona.

I loved her speaking voice and her self worth knowing exactly who she was -bold.

Always thought she too, was one of the most beautiful women having that indelible class, not anything as empty, trying to come across as gutter sexy, more of a natural sensual - a woman of substance.

Would it have been something to have seen her as she aged. Her life cut too short. That takes me back to the movie: ' I want To Live ' . I saw that movie, again for > (lost of time remembering ) ...how many (?)

I had seen Butterfield 8 two times and personally found the entire movie as a very uninteresting script. It went no where. Elizabeth Taylor is not one of my have to see again, actresses. I did like her in Rain Tree County; found Montgomery Cliff who made the movie intriguing for me.

He was always a strange lonely type of guy but there was an electricity about him that pushed any movie he was in to high gear -something having great force having me wondering what would he do next.

He was a master at that. 

I did not watch Suspicion, but my husband did. He said he had not seen that one. Since I don't favor Cary Grant or Joan Fontaine, I passed on that one.

[CG, #1 in North by Northwest*]

I did see ' Three Faces of Eve '. Joanne Woodward is in my # fives to six of any [all] /any female actresses ..believe I've seen everything she has done. Also, Barbara Stanwyck*!

I adore Joanne & Paul Newman together. PREMO!

From the Terrace, The long Hot Summer, and loved Rachel Rachel that she was in, directed by Paul Newman.

Will check in later for any new  February's Oscars- Award Winning movies. I can check but love when you brief us. 

"....` Kim Novak, Patricia Neal and Sophia Lauren are my other top ones.

Stay as sweet as you are, ' hugs for your son'   ..yes, I know..! ,,,,,getting too old for hugs from a stranger.

`

Just shake his hand and a hefty pat on his shoulders.

He certainly sounds like he's leaning a bit towards sports and very talented with the "Y" activities.

One special young man and immensely fortunate, having a great interesting, listening mom..just like

Hahaaaa, me. (had to interject that into the chat).

How blessed you are.Heart

I can certainly relate to motherhood. WONDERFUL!

Esteemed Contributor

Sorry, that was ti be Sophia LOREN...I was thinking of a little girl, Lauren when I typed that. @Oznell

I certainly  HOPE 'my' font numbers are not too large or too small. No one appears to be satisfied, so I go for what works for me. 

Honored Contributor

Thank you sweet NAES.  Your varying font is quite artistic-- works for me, too!