Honored Contributor

This has never before happened on Survivor, this type of Executive Producer involvement.  In the past decisions were easy, Russell goes and is banned, Hatch goes for what he did to Sue Hawk the second time around, banned, somebody yakked and broke their contract, banned, etc.

This is so gray and so timely there are a ton of stories about it even in the Washington Post because it's a me-too issue in an odd place, Survivor, one of the top five shows every week on tv, one of the most profitable shows ever on tv and now in its 39th season.

In every case "Production" refers specifically to the Executive Producers, of which Jeff is the lead and he reports to the head of the network and the show's owner, Mark Burnett.

Since Jeff has a longstanding relationship with Dalton Ross of EW here's his interview:

https://ew.com/tv/2019/11/13/survivor-jeff-probst-island-of-the-idols-epsiode-kellee-dan/

This is an interesting one from TV Guide for a few reasons, including we learn something new about Survivor.  There's been few leaks by ex-crew and one by a contestant who's banned for life.  

Here we learn there is always a producer on the island reporting back to the EPs about everything, even the amount of rice.  No one can talk to the players except Probst but they're there like the Challenge Producers are present for the challenge in case anything goes wrong.

Anyway this is very interesting, a different angle.  They even let Kellee tweet about it last night which is extraordinary, the whole thing is: 

https://www.tvguide.com/news/survivor-dan-spilo-sexual-harassment-warning/

Honored Contributor

Now here's my two cents FWIW.  I am not  happy with what has been my favorite show on the air since Season 1.

I said last week this cast is meh and they were the meh-est I've ever seen any cast last night.  

@gardenman  sorry your smart one Kellee joins the infamous ranks of people who went home with idols, plural duh.

We have seen Dan touch.  Not as much as was discussed because we weren't shown a lot of it  -- but we've seen it all season here and there.  IMO he should have been removed from the show.  

Women do touch men but they don't seem to mind.  When that crosses a line for a man hopefully there are consequences a woman.  The line is much thinner for a lot of women, especially some.

Dan's whining about his Hollywood career (he's an agent) only made it worse for me.  Wah wah wah.  I'm okay with a question mark over his head.  Especially since the show bent over backwards to clear him even though we saw some of it.

Watching how they treated Janet after and smug Dan sitting there not voted out reminded me of the Salem Witch Trials -- the good were punished, the bad were smug...

...and people turned on one another to keep the heat off themselves. The thought of making stuff up to the fuel the fire, well I only had Missy to root for and now I have no one. 

Because, and I hope I'm wrong, I didn't like her that much until last night but now Janet has no chance.

But they weren't playing Survivor in Salem so end of comparison.

Honored Contributor

Here's Dalton's weekly recap which is more like an op-ed of his own opinion, which is interesting since he acknowledges it's a gray area and I found his piece interesting even though he barely talks about the game play which is what that space is for.

https://ew.com/recap/survivor-season-39-episode-8/

What's gotten lost in all this -- even in the recap! -- is Dean's betrayal of Kellee immediately after she saved him.  It was rotten and IMO stupid to let himself be used, it will blow up on him.

Worst cast ever IMO.  Pretty sure in 39 scenes I've never used the term "worst cast" because there's never been a cast I disliked like this.

Honored Contributor

The show's producers saw what Dan was doing, knew Kellee told him she didn't want touched. They should have given a warning and if it continued eliminated him. Instead the producers exaggerated it and used it to appear enlightened. It was over the top self promoting in a tie with R & S for most boring.

Respected Contributor

I was disgusted at watching Survivor last night.  You do not make gameplay from accusing someone of harassment.  It's horriible for the victim, but you can't accuse someone and then go back and say they didn't do it.  You destroy people's lives with those accusations.  We saw Dan touching people, and I know editing factors in too, but it was beyond unreal how they accuse him, deny it to Janet and then act like it's not a big deal.  Those girls are dangerous!  Employees and employers of Kellee and the other accusers better watch themselves with those girls around, they have zero integrity and they proved it on national tv.  Someone should have knocked the you know what out of Dan after he touched someone the first time.  CBS felt they needed to flash a warning on the screen, they were taking this seriously, which they should, but these girls are scary.  They thought nothing of trying to destroy Dan on national tv.  I felt terrible for Janet.  She went to bat for these girls and she was played by them.  Sick!

I really feel Survivor has brought in way too many social issues on the show to "educate" us.  Honestly, I'm tired of it.  Aside from Elaine and Janet, the whole lot is beyond awful, they're a bunch of boo hoo baby cryers and they should have stayed home in their playpen and let some real men and women play the game this season.  I've watched since the beginning and  think I'm finished with Survivor.

Honored Contributor

We'll have to see what happens in future weeks, because Survivor is taped many months before it airs. I'm guessing there will be additional issues with Dan which could explain production's handling of last night's show. If there are no further issues with Dan, then CBS owes him a serious apology. Survivor isn't like Big Brother where the game is being played while the show airs and the editing has to be done on the fly. They probably finished filming this season of Survivor months ago. Production has had tons of time to put the show together and they know what's going to happen where we don't. I'm guessing there will be future issues with Dan and they used last night's show to set the stage for what's to come. If Dan ends up getting booted by production a few weeks from now, their treatment of him this week will make a lot more sense. We'll have to see what happens.

Fly!!! Eagles!!! Fly!!!
Respected Contributor

The show last night was a convoluted mess...I wish Janet would've walked away.

Honored Contributor

@gardenman wrote:

We'll have to see what happens in future weeks, because Survivor is taped many months before it airs. I'm guessing there will be additional issues with Dan which could explain production's handling of last night's show. If there are no further issues with Dan, then CBS owes him a serious apology. Survivor isn't like Big Brother where the game is being played while the show airs and the editing has to be done on the fly. They probably finished filming this season of Survivor months ago. Production has had tons of time to put the show together and they know what's going to happen where we don't. I'm guessing there will be future issues with Dan and they used last night's show to set the stage for what's to come. If Dan ends up getting booted by production a few weeks from now, their treatment of him this week will make a lot more sense. We'll have to see what happens.

@gardenman 

They film both seasons back-to-back.  Filming used to start in May but 'm guessing becaiuse they experienced the hurricane last year they moved it up in hopes of avoiding another cyclone.

These seasons are being shown in order (last year's were flipped) so this:

season 39 filmed from March 21 - April 28

Season 40 flmed from May 22 - Jun 30

G-man, I can't imagine your scenario of more trouble up the road with Dan and here's why:

If they let him stay now only to boot him later for continued behavior they knew about already and aired this episode with its warning and subtitles,  the show and the network will be in for a world of anger, criticism and bad PR for letting him stay last night. 

I think it's over and I hope it's over; if it's not they're showing themselves to be even worse hypocrites than they already seem as of last night.

Contributor
When Kelee complained about Dan touching her hair. And then they showed a clip of her flipping her hair in his face, left a bad taste in my mouth and I'm glad Kelee is gone.
Honored Contributor

I really didn't care for last night's show at all.  It left a bad taste in my mouth.

I'm curious how this Dan thing is going to play out.  Is there more to come?  I don't know.  

It was very cringey to watch.