Esteemed Contributor

Re: Survivor is back tonight!

I enjoyed the two hour premiere but as with what happens every season, I don't remember these people from week to week until there are about 8 people left.  On top of that, you throw in all these crazy twists that I'm not even going to remember next week or who even won/has them.  I don't even understand them as they're shown during the episode anyway.  I probably should just wait until half the season is over to start watching.  

There were a few people that I found really interesting...Drea, Maryann and the guy that dislocated his shoulder (see, I've forgotten his name already.....LOL).  

Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit, but Wisdom is knowing not to put it in a fruit salad.
- Author Unknown
Respected Contributor

What I'm finding frustrating is that you have a show like Big Brother where the mantra has always been to "Expect the Unexpected" yet the past celebrity version saw darn little to nothing unexpected. (Well there was that whole ridiculous nom now hat.)

CBS has now decided that Survivor will have the convoluted unexpected twist and to the point where strategy takes a back seat to the unknown advantages, so the desired effect is jaw dropping quizzical stares and ahs from the jury at tribal council.

Honored Contributor

The three were obviously encouraged to choose the twist. Anyone with sense would know the others would be suspicious, especially with the excessive mud and blood, and opt out. It's become social issues annoying.

Trusted Contributor

I watched last night and as far as the transgender person,  I totally think CBS and the transgender person agreed to this in advance. I thought it was a bit odd for him to come out with his story so quickly.  When Jeff came to get him he didn't look surprised and while Jeff was explaining everything he didn't look upset or surprised.  I think an agreement was made between both of them that he would be allowed to stay a few days. 

If my theory is true,  then it was definitely not fair.  As some one pointed out there was someone in waiting that could have taken his spot.  It also caused the team to be done one person right away.  

I have also watched Survivor since the first season,  and I think more and more later seasons it was obvious how the show tries to manipulate the outcome.

Valued Contributor

I'm out, too politically correct and woke. It's just supposed to be a competition. Another thing that has been ruined.

Frequent Contributor

My first question was why did they let two guys who weight so little even on the show when they won't have any food and then put them on the same tribe?????  If they were body builders or athletes it wouldn't matter but those two are bringing nothing to their tribe.  

Honored Contributor

@KACEE1115 wrote:

I'm out, too politically correct and woke. It's just supposed to be a competition. Another thing that has been ruined.

It's the reason I stopped watching Project Runway.

I watch this pretty mindless stuff to get away from the woes of the world.

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

There is very little I agree with in this thread but it's still  interesting to read the opinions of others. I won't even start to list all the things I disagree with because, let's face it, who really cares? It's just my own opinions. But I will address a few things that struck me most. One was the comment that Survivor isn't a social experiment. I won't go into all the reasons I believe that's not true, (that's my own belief which, of course, doesn't mean I don't respect the opinions of others) however, if you have any question that it is or isn't, it's easily Gogglable (let's make that a real word). Another is "it's just supposed to be a competition" which I don't disagree with completely but it kind of sounds like it's all about competitions and disregards the many and varied relationships and choices that are the very essence of the "social experiment." Maybe I misunderstood but this game isn't "supposed" to something--it's whatever the producers decide it is and it's unlikely they're going to go back to the year 2000.

The evolution of the show and what the future will bring leads me to Gardenman's original comment that we will soon see where CBS is headed. I believe he answered his question about that when he said "moving forward." We live in an ever-changing world and these shows, being the social experiment that they are, are the embodiment of that. If, for whatever reason, you're hoping for a social regression on these shows, I believe your'e going to be disappointed. I've been watching Jeff Probst for the past 20 years and it's clear he loves the diversity, the backstories of the players, and the psychological aspect all those things entail. The last thing he seems to want is for his show to be something mindless and meaningless. If you haven't noticed, you're not paying attention.

What's probably obvious to many...I love Survivor and imagine I always will. They'd have to regress backward in a big way, which I don't see happening, for that to change. I thoroughly enjoyed season 41 and think 42 is off to a great start. If for some reason I end up disliking it, as appears to be the consensus here, I'll let you know and you can say "I told you so."

I'll finish with some good news. Two days ago Survivor was renewed for both season 43 and 44. Come to think of it some here may not think that's such great news, lol, but it appears somebody likes it and wants to see more of it in the future.

I hope you can all appreciate my opinion, or at least accept it, as I've read and appreciate yours. We may not always agree but that's okay. I hope everyone who reads this has a great weekend and don't forget to

Daylight Saving Time Starts | Nicas En El Exterior News - FEBRERO 2022

on Sunday! Heart Smiley Happy

Honored Contributor

@SusieQ_2 

Nice to see you here again. Everyone's entitled to their opinion. I watch shows to be entertained, not to be lectured. CBS and their reality shows are getting pretty close to being too much of a lecture and too little entertainment. (By the way, "The Amazing Race" was also renewed for another season.)

Fly!!! Eagles!!! Fly!!!
Esteemed Contributor

The very first season and very first winner was gay. That was 20 years ago. No cared even back then that he was gay.  Even back then the shock factor flopped. Richard Hatch was interesting and it had nothing to do with him being gay. Love or hate him he was fun to watch. This trend of "educating" us is annoying and I just tune it out. I watch just see camp life, strategy and the challenges. I don't give a flip what their gender is or what they do in the bedroom at home. This too shall pass and the new trend will come along.

Wrong is still wrong just because you benefited from it.