Esteemed Contributor

Re: Survivor! Week 14 The Finale! Spoilers included!!!

I feel like Natalie made a lot of mistakes starting with her social game. She admitted she didn't bother going to her tribemates and trying to get to know them--a mistake that caused her to be the first one voted out. Then she continued her nonsocial game on EoE where she made no effort to engage with many of the jury members. That showed zero growth on her part. Where's her learning curve? I couldn't believe what I was hearing when she was asked about it by Rob. Her answer was "I just needed some time alone." Omg, I about fell off my chair! These are the people she knew she could be relying on to vote for her and two million dollars can buy a lot of alone time. Save the solitude for after the game.

Then she went back in with the story that all the jurors believed Tony was running the show. That was probably partially true but it was also a ploy to try to get Sarah to go against him.Looking back I realize that was the catalyst for Sarah's gender bias speech. Sarah wanted the jury to believe she was as much in control of game as Tony, and while I think she was a great partner to him, he was definitely the brains of that duo and they knew it.

Thinking back on what Sarah said, I thought "good for her" when she said that after two years she realized she was a good person despite how she played the game. But then her words just didn't ring true. For one thing, Sarah won her season against professional football player Brad Culpepper. Where is the anti-female bias in that? Then she went on to say all the women sitting with her should finally feel free to play the way they wanted to as well which was confusing. All those "repressed" female players were also the winners of their season...and all of them played against males. And, I don't recall hearing anyone saying "Oh that Michele-- what a B" or "Wow, Denise is a horrible person because of the game she played." All in all I think the jury listened to that and wondered how any of those women, the winners of their season, were treated unfairly and realized they weren't.

But I digress, this was supposed to be about Natalie. I think another HUGE mistake she made was not going against Tony herself in the fire making challenge. Yes it's risky, yes it's terrifying, but by making Tony participate while she sat back and watched made her resume shrink while his increased. And to pit him against Sarah? The emotion of that alone showed the jury the love and loyalty of their game. Tony was a wreck and, I will say, Sarah showed a lot of class. 

Natalie's answer as to why she didn't prove herself by going against Tony was equally as bad as her "I needed solitude" answer. She said that once she won the final immunity necklace she felt was comfortable and felt at peace with her game. Honestly though I don't know what else she could have said. It probably wouldn't have been a good idea to say she didn't think she could beat him. But I don't think any of those jurors were beaming with pride for Natalie knowing she chickened out at the end because she felt comfortable. 

I almost feel like for all her talk about Tony being the one to beat and how no one could beat Tony she pretty much turned it into a self-fulfilling prophecy. Not that it matters--he deserved the win.

Esteemed Contributor

I was hoping that Natalie would win.  She was the first voted out but continued to stay strong and find advantages.   

I thought all along that Tony would wind up winning.  He had more camera time than anyone else.  I also thought he played Ben and Sarah throughout just to keep himself safe.

Esteemed Contributor

@Bri369 wrote:

I got the impression that Sarah's speech was for the jury and to get her way into the Final 3.  I don't know if Natalie was swayed by her speech or she had intended on taking Sarah to Final 3. 

@Bri369 

I agree with you especially in that I think she had ulterior motives for what she said. I don't think she believed that the players, especially the ones she was mentioned, had suffered from gender bias. 

Going by what we saw I think Sarah had a whole host of feelings when she realized Tony was being seen as a better player than her. I think she was hurt, sad, indignant and angry about it. The only problem for her was that he was the better player. 

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

I agree that alliances are made with the purpose of keeping a player safe. It worked as much for the other two as it did for Tony but I disagree that Tony played Sarah and Ben.

The three of them had a pact to go to the end together and once they made that alliance Tony stayed loyal. Granted, Ben was closer to Sarah than Tony which made it kind of heart breaking when she sacrificed his game in the end. Permission or not that had to hurt. And Tony knew nothing about it. That alone speaks to Tony's loyalty...he wouldn't have agreed to vote for Ben so Sarah blindsided him. Also, don't forget it was Ben and Sarah who discussed voting out Tony right before he won his last immunity.

It was Sarah's vote that ended Ben's game.Tony voted Michele. Imo, if anyone used another player to try to get ahead it was Sarah.

eta ~ to @grandma r ...just wanted to add my comment wasn't meant to be dismissive of your point of view which I totally respect. I love reading everyone's opinions even when we see things differently.

I do agree with you that Natalie stayed strong--amazingly strong. Can't believe she ended her time on EoE with 14 tokens. That's impressive!

Honored Contributor

@grandma r wrote:

I was hoping that Natalie would win.  She was the first voted out but continued to stay strong and find advantages.   

I thought all along that Tony would wind up winning.  He had more camera time than anyone else.  I also thought he played Ben and Sarah throughout just to keep himself safe.

i dont think tony played sarah and ben at all. i think they made a strong alliance and pretty much stuck to it until almost the very end. i dont think ben should have sacrificed himself. those three were good together and as good as tony is, they made him even better.

"The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing." - Albert Einstein
Honored Contributor

dont remember who said that they did not like returning player seasons, but i have to disagree with that. i really love them, especially when i know quite a few of the players. it is interesting to see if they play the game the same way or if they adjust their game from what they have learned.

i would love to see a returning players game where every player that comes back was the first voted off of their season.

"The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing." - Albert Einstein
Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

Glad Tony won.

Michele did not deserve any votes.

Natalie knew she could win against Michele.

Natalie really wanted the alliance between Tony and Sarah to end and for spite she enjoyed watching them go against each other.

Everyone on the EoE saw how strong Natalie was and how social she was.

She did not really participate in challenges or tribal so the jury made their choice based on the actions they did see of her and compared that to those who did participate in the "game."  She was good, but not for the win.

I did not like the tokens or the advantages they purchased. When you play a challenge you should play it without buying an advantage, you should win the challenge by being the last one standing.

Tokens are social, idols are the advantage.

Natalie purchased her game plan but did win challenges on her strength.

Thought Rob's comments about Amber were a fine tribute to his wife.

Could have done without Jeff's commenting on Sarah's spiel.

Honored Contributor

I like seeing returning players. 

Well, except Sandra.  LOL

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

Always enjoy reading your comments. This is hub's favorite show so we chat about it. We were thinking Natalie would win but she did miss pitting Michelle against Tony for fire making. 

Cringed when Tony mentioned being the 'king.' We've all wearied over someone else being called 'The Queen.' But Tony did play a good game.

I think Ben may have wanted to avoid zero votes at the final vote. 

I enjoy the unexpected alliances. The top cop alliance was not a surprise and references got old. 

Good season all around.

If the production stays in Fiji -- fine by me. I know there's been some criticism by fans regarding staying in Fiji. The cost and hassle moving around to different countries and storing all the equipment has to be over the top. It's practical and makes sense to stay put. The show is more about the game and less about showcasing different cultures, as some would argue. There was little focus on culture and countries. All of that - just my opinion. 

"I took a walk in the woods and came out taller than the trees." Henry David Thoreau
Honored Contributor

Re: Survivor! Week 14 The Finale! Spoilers included!!!IThey are very annoying.

I always mute when Jeff is talking, especially during the challenges.

I do the same with Carson on The Voice.

===================================
QVC Shopper - 1993

# IAMTEAMWEN