Honored Contributor

Re: Survivor! Week 14 The Finale! Spoilers included!!!

I saw Jeff Probst on Instagram setting up in his garage for the the finale.  LOL

I'm so bummed this is going to be over tonight.  I think I'm more excited to see who comes back from EOE rather than the winner.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@gardenman wrote:

That makes sense. TAR was supposed to start this month, but they pushed it back indefinitely. I wonder if they'd consider filming Survivor at an alternate location to avoid cyclones? 

No.  Probst has a home there, other people associated with the show, I think some others do, there are other things in place (the place to keep people who don't make jury I think), there are many reasons they made Fiji the permanent location and they all make sense.  With hundreds of islands it's like having a new location every season.  

Oops  Google is my friend too -- I goofed, I always forget to flip the hemispheres -- it ends in April.  So it's not cyclone season so it has to be covid-related.  Sorry!

ETA:  Hopefully Probst will give us a clue tonight.

Honored Contributor

Remnids me I meant to mention this:

Read someone talking about the family visits.

Those are all set up before the contestants leave.

They designate exactly who will visit them.  On a normal season spouse, mother, brother -- they choose the person, the person is cleared, all travel documents are in place before the contestants go.

It could never be any other way.  They can't just pick for you, they could pick the wrong person.  Occasionally over the years substitutes have been necessary but otherwise they choose who is coming, they know who is coming, they can't wait to see the person and in this wonderful season their families...

...and because it's not a surprise doesn't make it any less a heartwarming reunion.  That emotion is not faked.  They've waited and waited for this person they want so badly.  

There are usually two who get the short straw:  whose loved one was voted out in the last tribal and ordinarily the one before that.  They don't get to see their contestant, they don't get anywhere near production.  Because it's a long flight and they need a couple days to recover.  They get a nice stay in a hotel and that's it Smiley Happy

Trusted Contributor

Tonight's show will be bitttersweet for me because of the way they have to do the reunion show because I always enjoy the live shows.

Still hoping Rob gets back in but it's probably unlikely.  It would be a hoot if Natalia (she's a bada$$) got back in and won since they voted her out first.  The only ones I wouldn't mind winning are Rob, Amber, Natalie, Tony, or Sarah. 

Honored Contributor

What if they haven't family or a friend who's able or 

willing to travel there? Is that a requirement? If it is, that seems wrong to me.

Honored Contributor

@LoriLori wrote:

@gardenman wrote:

That makes sense. TAR was supposed to start this month, but they pushed it back indefinitely. I wonder if they'd consider filming Survivor at an alternate location to avoid cyclones? 

No.  Probst has a home there, other people associated with the show, I think some others do, there are other things in place (the place to keep people who don't make jury I think), there are many reasons they made Fiji the permanent location and they all make sense.  With hundreds of islands it's like having a new location every season.  

Oops  Google is my friend too -- I goofed, I always forget to flip the hemispheres -- it ends in April.  So it's not cyclone season so it has to be covid-related.  Sorry!

ETA:  Hopefully Probst will give us a clue tonight.

I wonder if they could even shoot it in the US with workplace rules? They largely starve players and that might not be allowed in the US. BB has slop, but it's a hundred percent nutritionally complete and they're given a lot of it. From a purely technical standpoint they could shoot Survivor on a soundstage, but workplace regulations here might limit what you could get away with. Giving them just rice for days/weeks would likely get production in some hot water. 

Fly!!! Eagles!!! Fly!!!
Honored Contributor

@gardenman wrote:

I wonder if they could even shoot it in the US with workplace rules? They largely starve players and that might not be allowed in the US. BB has slop, but it's a hundred percent nutritionally complete and they're given a lot of it. From a purely technical standpoint they could shoot Survivor on a soundstage, but workplace regulations here might limit what you could get away with. Giving them just rice for days/weeks would likely get production in some hot water. 

@gardenman 

I disagree they "starve" players -- they have the rice and in other seasons the food rewards -- but in any case I'd be amazed (and disturbed) if they went with a sound stage.   

I laid out the reasons why I think they're locked into Fiji once they chose it as permanent location and the government has been good to them...

...and they could never ever shoot it on a soundstage.  It wouldn't be Survivor. 

As a superfan I'd rather they skip a season and I don't think the network wants to risk a huge backlash or ratings dive for their most profitable show. 

If I was still buying I would never buy a watered-down version, I'd cut my estimates in the demos in half and so negotiations would begin at half the going rate and noplace to go but down..

And soundstages require booths where the director, certain producers , etc. are and those are going to have to change and that will be very expensive.  I don't think it will be that tough on scripted shows to write social distancing for the actors  and set crew but the booths...much much harder and all that expensive equipment.

Then there's masks.  Not in Fiji, not an issue as long as Survivor doesn't bring it there .  Fiji has not had one death from covid-19.  Here in the U.S., well where I live masks will have to be worn for many more months, maybe longer.

And there's that the tests aren't 100% reliable.  Which would I think be a problem with BB.  BB should be starting soon so no time for a better test to be developed, right?   Is BB definitely happening?

Honored Contributor

EPIC beginning.  Even knowing the outcomes this is fantastic to watch.  This is jso.great and I agree with Jeff and the feedback he says he's gotten:  best season ever.  

Honored Contributor

The ladies are dominating the first hour of the show. Kudos to them.

Fly!!! Eagles!!! Fly!!!
Esteemed Contributor

@LoriLori wrote:

EPIC beginning.  Even knowing the outcomes this is fantastic to watch.  This is jso.great and I agree with Jeff and the feedback he says he's gotten:  best season ever.  

I agree 100%--EPIC!!!

We're at the point where Sarah is convincing Tony--who has the best strategy ever--that "these girls have nothing." What? First of all, it's no secret Michele has the immunity necklace and for her to think Natalie wouldn't have re-entered with an idol makes my mind explode. 

This proves to me Tony is a far better player than Sarah. He may get voted out in the next segment and if he does it's on Sarah. Why can't she just listen to him? Ugh!