Trusted Contributor

Re: Survivor is back tonight!

Only Amber had the sense to ask if anyone was thinking of taking Sandra out...She is cut throat and always brags that she is the "only 2 time winner". I want Sandra out immediately!

Respected Contributor

Smartest thinkg they did was to get rid of Amber. Why would you leave a couple on even if they are on opposite teams. Come the merger they will control the game.  I remember the first time Boston Rob was on he told everyone every week how to vote. And they voted exactly how he said. They sure were dumb. He laughed at them all the way to the final two, Amber and Rob.

Honored Contributor

@gardenman wrote:

I suspect Sandra got handed the idol at their "Jungle confessional" set. That seems to be where most of the production/cast direct interactions take place. If you're a Big Brother fan, think of it as the BB Diary Room. It's an apparently private place where the players can talk about their plans without fear of being overheard. If I was on Survivor, one of my early goals would be to try and find that location and find a way I could get close enough to eavesdrop, if possible. (There are probably rules preventing that however.)

That isn't possible.  While under normal circumstances (i.e., if someone doesn't collapse back at camp) the ONLY person who can speak to the cast is Jeff, anyone else is forbidden to speak to any of the Survivors -- there are crew and producers on site at all times keeping everyone in sight and reporting back to base camp.  There are enough producers to watch every single person wherever they go. 

This is CBS's cash cow, it always has been,  Both seasons together cost about what one episode of Big Bang Theory costs.  Of course BBT gets higher ad rates but that doesn't equal profitability.  That was their flagship show and isn't that over now?  So Survivor is!  Yay!

No one is ever alone.  No one could ever follow anyone and eavesdrop on a confessional.  The show is not set up that way.  

Honored Contributor

@oceanjade wrote:

Only Amber had the sense to ask if anyone was thinking of taking Sandra out...She is cut throat and always brags that she is the "only 2 time winner". I want Sandra out immediately!

Amber is a brilliant player and that's why s he's gone (I mean, Survivor brilliant, not inventing a rocket brilliant LOL).  As I posted in the other thread, Sandra makes a great shield right now as does Rob. 

I think they were smart to get rid of Amber, she beat Rob, he's my all-time fave but she flies under the radar better whereas Sandra and Rob put themselves so forefront they make good shields.

Honored Contributor

@DrKelli  Where are you?

@DrKelli   @gardenman   @SusieQ_2 

AND ANYONE ELSE WHO IS A LOT SMARTER THAN ME ABOUT THESE THINGS, SORRY IF I DON'T KNOW YOU:

This got off to a bad start, because there was that one-off special I posted about and then this, "Starts Tonight."

There are posts on both threads about last night's episode.  Does anyone know how to ask a mod to please merge the threads and name them SURVIVOR SEASON 40? 

That way we don't lose a single post and there's the season's thread.

Honored Contributor

@LoriLori 

It might be best to start a whole new thread with 'Spoilers' in the title. Something like "Survivor Season 40 Spoilers inside!" 

Fly!!! Eagles!!! Fly!!!
Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

What a fun season so far. It definitely delivered! There's so much to take in. Edge of Extinction and Fire Tokens for example. I'm still trying to figure out how I feel about all that. 

As for the threads, and what to do going forward, I agree with Gardenman. I think it would be a good idea to start a thread with SPOILERS in the title so people will know not to open it if they haven't watched the current episode. And for those who watch the show in PST just know that if you open the thread before the episode airs on the west coast there are people watching on east coast time who've already seen it and may be commenting. In other words...let's all use some common sense. Don't open a thread with spoilers if you don't want to know what happened. Hopefully that didn't sound too harsh because it wasn't meant to be. I just don't want anyone to be dissapointed.

Esteemed Contributor

@LoriLori wrote:

@gardenman wrote:

I suspect Sandra got handed the idol at their "Jungle confessional" set. That seems to be where most of the production/cast direct interactions take place. If you're a Big Brother fan, think of it as the BB Diary Room. It's an apparently private place where the players can talk about their plans without fear of being overheard. If I was on Survivor, one of my early goals would be to try and find that location and find a way I could get close enough to eavesdrop, if possible. (There are probably rules preventing that however.)

That isn't possible.  While under normal circumstances (i.e., if someone doesn't collapse back at camp) the ONLY person who can speak to the cast is Jeff, anyone else is forbidden to speak to any of the Survivors -- there are crew and producers on site at all times keeping everyone in sight and reporting back to base camp.  There are enough producers to watch every single person wherever they go. 

This is CBS's cash cow, it always has been,  Both seasons together cost about what one episode of Big Bang Theory costs.  Of course BBT gets higher ad rates but that doesn't equal profitability.  That was their flagship show and isn't that over now?  So Survivor is!  Yay!

No one is ever alone.  No one could ever follow anyone and eavesdrop on a confessional.  The show is not set up that way.  

I feel like it had to be something like what @gardenman is suggesting. Maybe not so much that someone from the crew just walked over and handed it to her, but maybe while she was talking they slipped it in her bag. I don't know when else they would have done it. Sneaking into camp while they're sleeping is too risky because someone might see them. She obviously didn't know it happened because she was surprised to find it in her bag.

Also, I was thinking of last season when Dan got kicked off for sexual harassment. The final nail in his coffin was when he made unwanted advances toward a producer. I know Jeff had to talk to the whole cast about it but at some point they had contact with the producer. I know it was unusual circumstances but yikes! Remember that whole fiasco? Smiley Surprised

Trusted Contributor

I don't remember the team's names yet but the team with Rob is full of idiots if they really went into tribal council not even thinking of getting rid of Rob. This first episode showed why Sandra has won 2 seasons, she's very good at making up stuff about others and convincing others to follow her. 

There was a lot of talk in the show about how the game has changed. How the people who played in earlier seasons really played at a different pace and it wasn't just endless searches for idols etc. I think I'm a bigger fan of the earlier seasons for that reason.

I'm rooting for Ethan! I remember liking him from his first season and he still seems like a good guy. Many of the others I don't remember or vaguely recognize them. 

Respected Contributor

I am not a fan of how the game has changed. I do not like the coin idea. It reminds me of downloading a game on a tablet and buying coins for protection or to eliminate ads. It reminds of companies selling coins for one reason or another to get better bargains.

The game is survivor, conquering your competitors with strength, common sense, wit and survival skills, not buying your way to victory. I do not like the idea of people being eliminated and going to the island and then being able to give their coin to someone who is still in the competition. 

The pace can change but are all these new rules and how the game is played really the survivor we knew and want. Winning challenges seem to be less of an importance.

Once again I believe the winner of survivor will not be a true survivor but win by means of default.

Twiddle dee and Twiddles dum.

@LoriLori 

no, I did not go there but after last week's shows I am very tempted to do so. I am all for a spoiler thread. You mentioned I should let you know, well here is letting you know! LOL