Respected Contributor

Re: Survivor Season 40 Week 2, Spoilers included!

In last week's double episode premier, Danni did bring up voting out Rob and getting him out first, but whomever she was speaking to told Rob about it, and then Rob confronted Danni - face to face - and point blank asked her if she had thrown his name out to vote off.  She admitted to it, but also said that everyone's name had been brought up to vote out, not just him.  Rob has some sort of power over people, women especially.  When he was first on the show and just a young man he was cute and likeable and knew how to build things, personable - he just sort of drew you in.

Now that Rob is older he has a confidence about him that seems to draw the truth out of people and scare them at the same time.  He IS the Godfather. 

I am now remembering Adam.  He is a weasel but I like him.  I also like Ben, but I think he is out of his league here.  So far all the cast on Estrogen island can stay there as far as I'm concerned.  Out of the 3 I like Natalie best.

Flowers are nature's way of laughing
Honored Contributor

Players on reality shows tend to put off voting out big threats thinking it's too early to make a big move. No. It's never too early to make a big move. If someone's a big threat to you winning the game and they're all lined up ready to go, push them out the door. (Or off the island in this case.) 

There is no one on either tribe who would beat Boston Rob in the finale, so he should be the first out followed by Sandra or Parvati. Instead, they're voting off the lesser threats. Some argue, "Well, Rob could come back and be angry." Hey, only one person comes back from Extinction Island, so let's fill the place with the best and toughest to beat players then unite to get out whoever comes back. It's not that hard. I'd rather the best players were all over there than still on the main island if I was playing. And the more weak players you put on Extinction, the more likely it is for a Rob or other good player to beat them to get back to the big island. I'd want Rob, Parvati, Sandra and other dominant players gone.

As to how they get the tokens? Officially they say no one talks to the players but Jeff. I'm pretty sure that's not true. Players always have questions about rules and the like and Survivor is getting pretty darn complicated with all of the powers and advantages floating around likely leading to still more questions and more confused players. If only Jeff was allowed to answer their questions, well Jeff would likely spend all his days wandering back and forth from tribe to tribe explaining things. If nothing else, medical has to interact with the players on a daily basis to give them their meds and check their condition. Probably ninety percent of the cast is on a medication of some sort that has to be distributed. 

Based on everything I've learned, I'm pretty sure the field producers communicate with the players more than we're supposed to believe. Players wouldn't just wander into the Jungle Confessional set and pose and talk game without some prompting from production. Maybe it's Jeff who wanders into camp to set up the jungle confessions, but I doubt it. We see how excited the players get when Jeff shows up so it's pretty apparent he's not there on a routine basis.

Production wouldn't want others to see the token awardees getting the token, so the tokens have to be exchanged someplace where no one can see it, and as far as I know the only truly private place is the jungle confessional set. They can hand them the token there, explain what it is, how it works, answer any questions and then film them "finding" the token in their bag and unwrapping it all in privacy. Just finding the token in the bag isn't easy. The tokens aren't that big and the bags are pretty big. If one was just slipped into a bag it could sit there for days before being noticed. I've known women with smaller purses than the bags used on Survivor who lose stuff in their purse on a regular basis and have to dump the purse out to find whatever they lost in it. A token that was just slipped in could go unnoticed for days.

There has to be a private area where players can ask questions and get answers from production. I'm pretty sure they use their jungle confessional set for that purpose. (Sort of the like the Diary Room in Big Brother.) And I'm pretty sure Jeff isn't the only person who talks to the players. I'm betting each player gets called to the jungle confession set on a routine basis for their meds if they're on meds, a quick "Are you okay?" and vitals check by medical, a quick Q&A with a producer about anything they have questions about, then a prompt of what production wants them to say in the confession and then off to the next player. 

You don't hear as much about a staff psychologist on Survivor, but they have at least one in Dr. Gene Ondrusek. I'm pretty sure he doesn't counsel them in pantomime, so there's more than just Jeff talking to the players. In an interview on cheatsheet.com he talks about how they counsel the players before, during and after their time on the show, so there's clear interaction at least with the psychologist/psychologists during the game. 

One thing that bugs me in recent seasons is how they're now wrapping the idols in bright colored paper/cloth or using brightly colored strings to make it easier to find the idols. Last night's idols were wrapped in blue and orange paper. They used to wrap them in something like burlap that blended in better, but they really want them to find the idols these days. It's getting to the point where they'll just hand them out to people.

Fly!!! Eagles!!! Fly!!!
Super Contributor

What is with Denise and her horrible hair style? I enhances the look of her  wrinkles. 

I adore the game play of Rob. He needs to stay for good TV. Same goes for Sandra.

If only players we like stay in the game it's boring. 

Respected Contributor

It used to be that the players were starving from no food. They don't focus on that too much anymore and yes they do lose weight but its not the same.

I think they have toilet paper and other stuff too. 

Honored Contributor

@Mersha wrote:

It makes absolutely no sense to let power players Rob and Sandra stick around.  You would think the smart thing would be to get them out ASAP.

The only reason that makes a bit of sense is that the other players view them as so strong, possibly making it until the end, they align themselves and ride their coattails as far as they can go.

If anyone else has any other theories on why Rob and Sandra are not voted out early on I would love to hear them.

Yes, and I posted it already but with two other threads maybe you missed it.  

Sandra and Rob are exactly the ones you want to keep.  They make the best shields.  You have no intention of letting them get to the end.  So you keep the big target in if you're smart as long as you can in THIS game because it's like no other and almost everyone has big Game.  This way their name comes up constantly which makes it slightly less likely you go.

Rob is also usually a beast comp.  He had a bad night.  So it makes no sense to get him out pre-merge.

Honored Contributor

@gardenman  would you mind putting the date instead of the week in the title going forward?  The point of voting weekly I thought was you could easily look up the last week's thread.  Much easier if the date is there, week too if you want but please date.  Especially since it's week 2 but episode 3. Smiley Happy

Honored Contributor

Agree about Denise.  She looks a mess.  

And I'm glad Danni is gone.  She's had the most work done (although Kim's is the most disappointing to me, she was beautiful and she won by being consistently nice so not surprised she's playing the game she won, it's been years to talk her into returning).  I couldn't look at Danni.

Honored Contributor

@LoriLori wrote:

@gardenman  would you mind putting the date instead of the week in the title going forward?  The point of voting weekly I thought was you could easily look up the last week's thread.  Much easier if the date is there, week too if you want but please date.  Especially since it's week 2 but episode 3. Smiley Happy

I can do that. I just have to figure out the wording so Spoilers still shows on the main page to keep angry posts down. Once titles get too long, the back part gets cut off. I suppose I could cut out the word season and go with "Survivor 40, Week 3, 2/26, Spoilers included" for next week. A quick count on the main page shows I can use about 45 or so characters before things get cut off, so that should work out okay. It'll be close, but we'll give it a try next week and see.

Fly!!! Eagles!!! Fly!!!
Respected Contributor

I think Danni blew up her own game last night.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

Where did you read the rumor about $200,000?  I don't believe it.  Because she's so very competitive as are Parvati, Kim and all the others who left their kids and because they're all making more than that.

They get paid per episode and they're in till the end so they'll make a lot and I don't believe the show would give bonuses to anyone.  It would get out.  

Almost every winner wanted to be in the cast.  One couldn't for reasons that will make you go oh of course!  (ETA:  link at end of post to info on all of them.)  And it's the bitter ones that are spreading rumors and putting out fake info.  They're angry.  Why they took Ben over some of the others is beyond me but there's an explanation in that link.

Jeff told Dalton Ross, it's no rumor, it's right there in EW with a lot of other info because Dalton got to stay even longer this time and go more places  -- the winners banded together, maybe not everyone, maybe not Ben and Nick and those with no real power but they banded together (including ones that ended up not being selected) and said we're not coming back without EoE..

...And showrunners didn't want EoE so Jeff decided well if that's the only way we'll make it the worst EoE imaginable.  .And others have confirmed it's really bad there.  Dalton IIRC points to first shots of Natalie's walk on EoE.  And they preview it wil get much, much harder as the season goes on.

Below is a link to an accurate list of  every single one of the prior winners  that has who was asked, who wasn't, who was cut at the last minute, who cannot be on again...there's info out there that matches, how some got multiple calls and didn't make the final cut, some never got a call, angry all, and then the ones that turned it down.  

[ETA:  This is not the subReddit with the boot order and you cannot see any spoilers from this link so if you don't leave that link and go looking for Survivor spoiler subReddits you won't have anything spoiled.]

For superfans this is loaded with great dirt and some sad stuff and some insights.  Too bad about Chris from last season.  And Cochran is one of Jeff's BFFs so even without the reason given for his absence (great reason!) don't think he could/would have gone.

https://www.reddit.com/r/survivor/comments/bqhprd/how_come_isnt_on_season_40_casting_spoilers/

ETA:  If you haven't time, although superfans should make the time to learn how it happened and some inside scoop on the show --

-- but if you haven't time, fyi Tom Westman, the firefighter, has lung disease from working at the WTC on and after 9/11.