Esteemed Contributor

Re: Survivor: Edge of Extinction Thread #3 - SPOILERS

It’s getting that with so many players over at Edge that I am dying to know what they do all day. 

Wrong is still wrong just because you benefited from it.
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@SusieQ_2 , agree with you on War Dog, he was good tv for me, and that's why I worded the OP that way instead of saying yay! War Dog's gone.  Agree with you on Aurora, and she's a comp beast as I said in my post.

I get why Kelly mentioned Lauren's idol.  They should really call it Bitter Island, they're all bitter, at least at first.  Wish they'd done a web series showing us Extinction...If the person gets in when there are five at camp the idol is still good (although I think Lauren will have played it before then).  If the returnee from Extinction makes five the idol is dead anyway.

I forgot to mention I really like how they're doing it this season, when they show the person putting a graphic up reminding us what advantage someone has or an idol.  It's helpful now that they're putting so many in play.

I didn't mind Kelly's faces.  They've pretty much all done that the first time they come back.  Any ideas about her lipstick?

Honored Contributor

@DrKelli wrote:

@LoriLori , I think this is the second week.  I thought the same thing as you--if he is on vacation for a long period of time, he's probably made the cast.  He's posted several pictures of his friends and him, so I think he's on vacation.

Oh, boooo.  Sorry!  They've been taping Season 39 for a month, maybe slightly more, already.  Also I read this Reddit that details how the casting process has changed and I don't know if that means people who were on deck like your friend have to apply all over.

@gardenman  I know you like insights into casting so you may like it.

https://www.reddit.com/r/survivor/comments/9zxguj/inside_survivor_s3940_casting_news/

Esteemed Contributor

@LoriLori , no idea about the lipstick, in fact, I didn't even notice. Sometimes I'm so oblivious, lol. 

Maybe they have a sponsor...Urban Decay? Smiley Very Happy

Glad to hear Lauren won't suffer from Kelley's oversharing about the idol. Although if it won't be in play anyway then maybe I should just say Kelley's sharing.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@SusieQ_2 wrote:

@LoriLori , no idea about the lipstick, in fact, I didn't even notice. Sometimes I'm so oblivious, lol. 

Maybe they have a sponsor...Urban Decay? Smiley Very Happy

Glad to hear Lauren won't suffer from Kelley's oversharing about the idol. Although if it won't be in play anyway then maybe I should just say Kelley's sharing.

LOL.  It was in some scenes but not others.  Disappearing lipstick.  Maybe like at Ponderosa they got their luxury item; maybe Joe's was wine LOL.

Lauren has a big target on her head and I'm sure will be playing it before.  She'll probably play it next week out of nervousness after watching what happened to Kelly.  

But if it's still around when the Extinction Comp happens I can't say because is it five at camp + winner of Extinction Comp (in which case the idol is good) or four at camp + winner of Extinction Comp (in which case the idol is dead).

Honored Contributor

The casting process sounds similar to Big Brother. In Big Brother Les Moonves always had final say in the cast, so that'll change in some manner. BB typically gets about sixty thousand applicants that get sorted down to around fifty for in person interviews. Those fifty then get cut down to twenty or so, then finally the sixteen who go into the house.

I've always liked the idea of letting BB fans have a say in the casting. Once they narrow the field to fifty, put their videos up on YouTube or CBS All Access and let the fans pick five male and five female houseguests. (Production would add the final six.) That could get fans invested earlier and build early interest in the show.

Fly!!! Eagles!!! Fly!!!
Honored Contributor

@gardenman wrote:

The casting process sounds similar to Big Brother. In Big Brother Les Moonves always had final say in the cast, so that'll change in some manner. BB typically gets about sixty thousand applicants that get sorted down to around fifty for in person interviews. Those fifty then get cut down to twenty or so, then finally the sixteen who go into the house.

I've always liked the idea of letting BB fans have a say in the casting. Once they narrow the field to fifty, put their videos up on YouTube or CBS All Access and let the fans pick five male and five female houseguests. (Production would add the final six.) That could get fans invested earlier and build early interest in the show.

@gardenman 

It's not similar at all to BB unless they no longer use an outside casting agency.  Last I watched it was Kassting (sp?).

If you read the Reddit again you will see that Survivor employs their own casting director.  So now they have a new one who was assistant to the old one.  And they have to meet Probst earlier in the process.  I don't think BB does it that way at all.

They will never let the fans choose.  They don't even let Probst choose and he has way more power than the EPs of BB or TAR.  Because Survivor is CBS's most profitable show.

Honored Contributor

Bumping.

@sunshine45  hope you were able to watch last week's show on line!

Super Contributor

[ Edited ]

I don't post much on these Survior threads, but it's my favorite reality show. I hope they spend some time showing us Extinction than 5 or so min.  I know from sneak peek that it's Family night. So I don't have my hopes up to see much of Extinction, *sigh*  fingers crossed. LOL 

Honored Contributor

Ugh! An expired idol, real idols, an extra vote, it's getting to the point where you need a scorecard to keep track of what's going on. Ron was very clever giving Devens his expired idol, but then Devens found a real one. Aurora had the extra vote that she gave to Gavin.  Devens was the target, then maybe Aurora, then maybe Ron. The good news, for me anyway, is that no one seems to be targeting Lauren. Ron is playing a tad too hard right now. Devens is way too cocky. He promised everyone a final three deal even though there are seven of them. Devens played his expired idol. He was very unhappy with Ron and Julie when Jeff told him it expired, he then played his real idol. The secret plan to get rid of Ron worked and out he went. Devens was once again out of the loop. He voted for Aurora. Devens had better win immunity again or find a new idol, as he's going to stay a big target. A pretty good episode again. On to TAR now.

Fly!!! Eagles!!! Fly!!!