Trusted Contributor

Re: Survivor: Edge of Extinction Thread #3 - SPOILERS

@CLHS68 wrote:

I know I am the only one but I am happy Devens did not win. I really dislike him & was hoping almost anyone but him would win.

Just curious as to WHY?

Respected Contributor

I'm not thrilled about the idea of bring back Boston Rob and Sandra.  Will they be acting as mentors?  Didn't quite get the whole new season theme cept for other than those 2 it will be a completely new cast.  Will one lead one team and the other a second team?

I liked Boston Rob way back when, never cared much for Sandra but I think they have both been on enough, why are they coming back AGAIN?  Are they still that popular?

Flowers are nature's way of laughing
Honored Contributor

@jellyBEAN wrote:

I'm not thrilled about the idea of bring back Boston Rob and Sandra.  Will they be acting as mentors?  Didn't quite get the whole new season theme cept for other than those 2 it will be a completely new cast.  Will one lead one team and the other a second team?

I liked Boston Rob way back when, never cared much for Sandra but I think they have both been on enough, why are they coming back AGAIN?  Are they still that popular?

@jellyBEAN I think they are only coming back as mentors and will not be living with the tribes.

Honored Contributor

I'm not a fan of Boston Rob and really dislike Sandra. That mentor thing is unappealing too so, I doubt I'll be watching. Mentoring is meant to be one on one or possibly a team working together but when in competition against one another, helping one puts others at a disadvantage. I'm suspecting it will be Rob's people against Sandra's. I don't care to see either ever again.

Honored Contributor

I think Jeff said the players would have to give something up to get advice from the two vets. Something about a price that had to be paid. I'm guessing if a tribe wins a challenge they can choose to accept an advantage (food, fishing stuff, tarp, etc.) or visit the vets, but that's just a guess. Maybe if a player finds an idol they can trade it for advice? We'll have to see.

Fly!!! Eagles!!! Fly!!!
Esteemed Contributor

I am glad that Chris won.  He earned it.  He won his way back into the game, won the final challenge, and chose to make fire to earn his spot.

I didn't like Devens from day 1.  Ron was just as sneaky.  War Dog talked a lot, but, did absolutely nothing in challenges or at camp.

Gavin and Julie didn't belong in the final!!!  Victoria was the one playing just under the radar and being strategic.  I do think Gavin thought he would win.

As for the new season.....we have had way too much of Boston Rob and Sandra!!!!!  Neither one is appealing to watch.

As much as I like Joe as a person, I am tired of players coming back to the game.  They do have an unfair advantage as they understand just what happens on the island.  They had their adventure, let it go.

Honored Contributor

@SusieQ_2 wrote:

[edited]

@LoriLori  I disagree about Sia. I don't see any problem with her giving money to the cast and Devens was very deserving. I like that she's generous and whether they're getting $ for being the sole Survivor or being Sia's favorite it makes no difference to me. If her contributions were in some way affecting the outcome of the game I'd feel differently but I don't believe that's the case. 

@SusieQ_2 

Not trying to change any minds but this post explains my issues with it.

First off they should never have done away with Fan Favorite.  Survivor is CBS's license to print money.  It's not like they 

So Sia, who is gay (not that there's anything wrong with that and an animal activist):

Gave Tai, who is gay and an animal activist who saved the chickens, $50,000.  Tai, like Devens, would have run away with Fan Favorite.

She gave Donathan $15,000 because she was touched by his story of growing up gay in the South

She gave Davie $15,000 and didn't explain it

She gave Devens $100,000 because she liked him so much (which is what Fan Favorite is for)

She offered Joe $15,000 to cut his hair and donate the hair to charity.  He said yes only if the money goes to charity.  (Love him!  But not the new hair.)

She gave Aurora $15,000 for "just for making it through foster care"

Here are my specific issues with it:

The editors determine what we see.  Who's to say there aren't other stories of people who haven't opened up or people who care about issues she does that we weren't shown

And it might motivate future contestants to play to the cameras for Sia's money.  Life stories are powerful -- but I don't want Survivor to turn into "This Is Us" on an island. 

And the editors have a hand in that and so does Jeff, what we see, what we learn.  How do we know there are just as powerful stories we don't see.

And just as it helps people it can hurt people. 

I don't know Wendy's motives for saving the chickens but she also has Tourette's, but I found it odd Jeff spent more time with her, a quitter, than with the season winner.  Was he trying to influence Sia?  Was she?

Will other contestants feel badly because Sia didn't give them money?  And why is Probst facilitating it?

Also there's nothing to prevent others among Probst's many celebrity friends who are Survivor Superfans to start doing it.  Just a made-up example but actress and director Ali Sweeney -- another Superfan and one of his BFFs who you can always see at the finale with her kids --  to a contestant who has lost weight.  

She has the right to give, they all do but I adamantly think it should be done privately.  Sorry for the treatise, I have a lot of reasons (duh).

Respected Contributor

Hello Fans,

Just an opinion from DH & I.  We have watched and enjoyed every season except this one.  No favorite players and we didn't get the "jury" or when/how any would come back to the game.  We will still look forward to next season.

Esteemed Contributor

chris

"I took a walk in the woods and came out taller than the trees." Henry David Thoreau
Honored Contributor

just finished watching one of the best survivor seasons in quite a while.......even though i was disappointed in the final three. i absolutely thought devens should have gone to the final three, won, and won it by a landslide.

that being said.......i was quite happy to see julie get not even one vote. she did not deserve to be there really.  i probably would have preferred gavin over chris (although the strategy that chris used to get into the final three was pretty good.)  no one ever put gavins name on a paper to vote him out. that is something......and i think his social game was pretty good also.

i actually liked the edge of extinction. i may be the only one.....or one of the few. i would not mind seeing that return.

overall the winner is DEVENS.....he will definitely be remembered for this season. glad to see he won the "SIA FAVORITE." i have no issues with SIA offering up some awards. good karma is always good. even if it were not noted on the show, it would be known pretty quickly in reality.

heres hoping that the NEXT season was as entertaining as THIS season.

"The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing." - Albert Einstein