Honored Contributor

Re: Survivor: Edge of Extinction Thread #2 - SPOILERS

it has not been very many, if any, contestants that have actually given up the chance for their own immunity for someone else, has there?

"The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing." - Albert Einstein
Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

There have been times at Tribal Council a player has given the immunity necklace to another player. It wouldn't be a good look for a player to be so arrogant, or appear to be so comfortable, that they would just give it up. On the other hand, I see no shame in trying to negotiate to try to stay safe. When it comes to challenges, it's far more likely that someone would throw the challenge rather say "here you take it."

There could be several reasons for that. They may feel safe and not want to appear to be a strong physical threat. They might feel safe and want the other player to be safe as well without looking like they just gave it away. It could be to conceal an alliance with the other player.

I went back and watched the episode again (thanks G'man for the loss of an hour..jk! Smiley Very Happy) and I think Aurora did exactly the right thing. The motto is Outwit, Outplay, Outlast. If you can outwit another player to give you immunity, why wouldn't you? If my own alliance had just double-crossed me, the way they did Aurora, I'd do everything in my power to win. I'm also thinking Victoria may very well have thrown that to Aurora. Victoria was standing so strong and suddenly her movement came, not from her legs and feet, but from her shoulders. One second she was fine, the next she was down. There was no wobbling or adjusting like there was with the others. We'll probably never know for sure but it was very suspicious looking. 

Regardless, Aurora brought it to the attention of everyone there that she was not a part of the "Kama Strong" alliance and was open for business. I think that started the awakening that if Ron and Eric could decide to leave Aurora out in favor of David and Devens, how much longer until they would be excluded? And so it began.

Watching it again brought a new clarity to what I already felt about Julie's comments. When Lauren fell, Julie's exact words to Victoria were "Lauren passed out. Just keep going." And a few seconds later "She's okay." Those words don't gel with the "sudden concern" that came only after she heard Aurora start bargaining with Victoria.

Jeff was saying she's okay and we heard Lauren, herself, saying "Dammit" and "That was embarrassing." The only reason Julie started shading Aurora was because Julie wanted Victoria to win and Aurora to look bad. 

I wonder where Julie stands now that, rather going with her, Victoria went with Aurora and the others to vote out Eric. The only ones who didn't vote Eric were Ron, Eric, Julie, and Devens and now, with Eric gone, those three are in the minority.

Speaking of Ron, who wears a button down shirt with a tie on Survivor? Smiley Very Happy

Esteemed Contributor

survivor.jpg

@sunshine45 , This picture of Squidward brought back sweet memories of watching SpongeBob SquarePants with my daughter! Heart

Honored Contributor

It is kind of neat watching it a second time, and you could be right about Victoria giving the immunity necklace to Aurora. In Survivor, if you know you're safe, throwing a comp can take you farther. Victoria was like a statue most of the time, then let it slip.

The Survivor cast is getting a bit one-sided in favor of the women right now and I wouldn't be shocked to see a few more guys go (Devens, Ron, David, War Dog) before another woman goes. I don't think there's an all girl alliance, but the game is largely playing out like there is one. We lost Reem, Aubry and Wendy on the girl side pretty early then Joe, Chris, Eric and Keith (and Devens, but he came back) on the boys' side. With four guys as likely near term targets, the girls might just rule the island. With Aubry having the advantage on Extinction, she might even have the edge getting back. I'm not sure we've ever seen a season where the final five or six were all women.

Fly!!! Eagles!!! Fly!!!
Honored Contributor

@SusieQ_2 

Thanks for that informative and (always) interesting post.  You know it's Wardrobe that put Ron in that tie and button-down, right?  They pick the clothes.  Some say people show up with a lot of stuff and Wardrobe goes through it and most of the time chooses from among those.  But if they don't see what they want...

...we get, among other things, Secret Agent Phillip's pink underwear hahahahahahahaha.

Honored Contributor

@gardenman wrote:

It is kind of neat watching it a second time, and you could be right about Victoria giving the immunity necklace to Aurora. In Survivor, if you know you're safe, throwing a comp can take you farther. Victoria was like a statue most of the time, then let it slip.

The Survivor cast is getting a bit one-sided in favor of the women right now and I wouldn't be shocked to see a few more guys go (Devens, Ron, David, War Dog) before another woman goes. I don't think there's an all girl alliance, but the game is largely playing out like there is one. We lost Reem, Aubry and Wendy on the girl side pretty early then Joe, Chris, Eric and Keith (and Devens, but he came back) on the boys' side. With four guys as likely near term targets, the girls might just rule the island. With Aubry having the advantage on Extinction, she might even have the edge getting back. I'm not sure we've ever seen a season where the final five or six were all women.

Hi, yes, we have, it's Survivor:  One World and it's a season I mentioned upthread:  the one won by Kim Spradlin.  Who mesmerized her clique of girls who practically thanked her for voting them out.  The final five were women...

...yet for some reason people remember that season for Tarzan and Troyzan, two idiots, while right there Kim played one of the best games ever, if not the most perfect game. 

During the entire regular season she only got two votes at tribal!  And those two votes were at the same tribal and were by men.

She played a perfect game, maybe the only perfect game ever.  But she opted never to return, she was successful before Survivor and she's largely been forgotten which is head-scratching to me.  Definitely one of the best players ever but never makes the list.

It was a final five of all women.

Yet people only remember that season for Tarzan washing his soiled underwear in the rice pot.  Which was quite disgustingly memorable, but Kim never gets the credit she deserves and probably would have gotten if she was a returnee

Honored Contributor

I think The Wardog did well with the ladies last week.  He was sinking his own battleship but he righted it last week.  He could be the last guy standing and now that I said that he'll be voted off next week LOL.

Does anyone think Pippi Longstocking every time Victoria wears braids?

Respected Contributor

Sorry, ladies . . .

Oh no, not Joe!!

Honored Contributor

@DrKelli wrote:

Sorry, ladies . . .

Oh no, not Joe!!

I found out they were an item when someone mentioned her in an episode of Edge of Extinction.  I think the context was a challenge, somebody said "Do it for Sierra!" or something like that so I googled it.  Actually it may very well have been Jeff.  Anyway, beautiful couple.  

Honored Contributor

Well, that was an unusual tribal council. I was confused at how quickly the first part of the show went, but they needed a lot of time for that tribal. Wow! You don't often see that much chaos at tribal. The jury loved it though. Lots of negotiating going on right up to the last minute. David/Devens played their idol for David, so he was safe. And Julia went from not being a target to talking her way into being evicted. Not a great strategy. Julie and Lauren still have their idols which is great for them. It was a fun show tonight.

Fly!!! Eagles!!! Fly!!!