Trusted Contributor

Re: Supermodel Paulina Porizkova On CBS News Sunday Morning

@SeaMaiden wrote:

@Jordan2 wrote:

This is why every woman married or single should have their own bank account. I see so many women who hand over their paycheck to their husbands. My mother knew someone whose husband cleaned out their account, he left her with nothing!

@Jordan2   . My DH and I met and married 40 years ago    and started out with Nothing.... we each made $3.50 an hour.   Funny thing is we were very happy!  We had nothing but life was great. 

Everything was always pooled... over 40 years  of working and accumulating....

Well,  we did quite well for ourselves through the years....   both retired  now and living comfortably.... and today EVERYTHING is  still joint.... pooled together. I never understood these relationships where someone pays this and someone pays that.... we always just payed the bills with our JOINT ACCOUNTS.  Still do.   Can not imagine anything different.  

@SeaMaiden Quite agree. Some women feel they should have their own account and shouldn’t hand it over to their husband. But that’s what husbands do—“hand it over” to their wives. My husband and I are a team. I don’t need to “ask permission” to spend our money, but I’m not someone who wastes our money either. 

My sister and her husband had totally separate accounts and she had her bills she paid and he had his bills he paid. For some couples it works.  But money became a huge issue in their marriage and I feel, part of the reason they became divided. 

Honored Contributor

Every woman should have their own credit card to establish their credit history period !

" You are entitled to your opinion. But you are not entitled to your own facts."
Daniel Patrick Moynihan
Honored Contributor

@Teddie. A husband and wife can still be a team and have separate bank accounts.

Each couple is different and what works best for one couple may not work best for another. I'm not someone who thinks a couple that keeps joint bank accounts has a better marriage or is any more of a team than a couple who keeps separate accounts.

Trusted Contributor

@Pearlee wrote:
@Teddie. A husband and wife can still be a team and have separate bank accounts.

Each couple is different and what works best for one couple may not work best for another. I'm not someone who thinks a couple that keeps joint bank accounts has a better marriage or is any more of a team than a couple who keeps separate accounts.

You are right, @Pearlee , which is why I said for some couples this works. 

Honored Contributor

I was wondering why all This was trending on Twitter.

At the end of the day...there are 2 sides to every story.

And a dead man can't talk, so....🌾of🧂

Honored Contributor

It was trending on Twitter because of the segment on CBS today.
Esteemed Contributor

@wildcat fan wrote:

@SeaMaiden wrote:

@wildcat fan wrote:

I've read that he also cut two children out of his will. I feel more sorry for them than I do Paulina, whom he supposedly started seeing while he was still married to wife #2.

They were children from a previous marriage.  The two children they had together were in the will...just not her.

I realize they were from a previous marriage.  I just think it's sad he left them out of his will.  In an interview for Rolling Stone, he said he'd be on the road for months and forget the names of his kids.  (Joking or not, that's not something a child should have to read.) He said one of his kids was a recovering drug addict and wondered if it's his fault.  

Of course, I wasn't there and don't know any of them, but I feel more sorry for the kids than I do Paulina who still has earning potential and the ability to get some of the estate that she would have gotten through the divorce.  

Maybe those kids were provided for in another way?  Possibly. He claimed Paulina abandoned him, but it seems he did the same to his own kids.  I believe he had 6 with 3 wives.

He was married three times and had two sons (total of six) from each marriage.  Paulina probably coupled her monies with his because she was a 24 yr old kid marrying a 45 yr old man and didn't know any better.  Love is blind.

Honored Contributor

She met him at age 19 and a rising star in the modeling world in 1984

Honored Contributor

Maybe I'm wrong, but I feel whatever has happened between a couple, you should be respectful and never speak poorly of the mother or father of your children. They had a life together, had children together, I don't think she should have been left out of his will. Hopefully if she is not doing well financially, her children will help her out.

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

I saw the program this morning, and I, too, think she'll get something from the estate.

The wording of his will was very specific and particular to NYS law, citing his disinheriting her, her "electing" her share, and that she'd "abandoned" him. That'll be for a probate judge to decide, but it sure doesn't sound like it, despite divorce proceedings. They'd been living together in the NY condo and, since his surgery two weeks before his death, she was caring for him. As for the two older kids, it's possible he provided for them through life insurance or a trust, or both.

Beyond all of that, I still felt bad for her when she mentioned aging, and that she hadn't had botox or fillers. She said that she'd posted a number of photos of herself without makeup, and with gray hair, and pointing out what she considered to be her faults as she aged, adding that she was trying to embrace them. Apparently, she'd been up for a job but after that, she was told "we can't use you, then." I think she looks nice. It's refreshing to see a woman that age, whose features are still distinctive, and who's retained her attractiveness without mutilating herself. She looks like herself, but older. I also remember her saying that a couple years ago, she overheard people on a cover shoot refer to her as "the old chick."

That has to sting when modeling was your life for so long.

What worries you masters you.