Honored Contributor

Re: Supermodel Paulina Porizkova On CBS News Sunday Morning

I did see this show.  It said that she was cut out of the will, as well as a couple children from another marriage, if I understand it correctly.  I remember her quite well from her modeling days as I thought she was extremely beautiful and she seemed to have made a lot of money.  

From what she said, they were separated and still living together at the time of his death and she found him when he died.  I guess this could easily be corroborated as to whether they were actually still residing together at the time of his death.  

She gave her side or a bit of it on t.v., but as others have said, we, of course, do not know his side, or what transpired between the two.  

I believe in many marriages, and especially ones of long-standing, it is perfectly natural to consolidate your assets.  I don't find that unusual.  Of course, I know nothing about how those matters work when you are wealthy and both have careers in entertainment.  I would think that since there is probably a great deal of money earned separately, that advisers would counsel them on these matters and advise them to keep some of their earnings separate to protect themselves.  Who knows? People don't always do things which are the most wise concerning assets, that's for sure!  

"A day without sunshine is like, you know, night." - Steve Martin
Honored Contributor

I read that her net worth is under a million and when he died he was worth 80 million. Does anyone know if he was estranged from the sons that were left out of the will?

Honored Contributor

Paulina was always a model who didn't care about her image as much as most. Way, way back when she was on the cover of Sports Illustrated Swimsuit Edition she was on Good Morning America with Dave Hartman and explained how what you see in the magazine isn't real. She showed two photos taken of herself, one the cover photo where she looked perfect and the second photo a photo taken a few seconds later when she wasn't posed. In the first photo, she was a supermodel, perfectly toned without any flaws or issues whatsoever. In the second photo, she was far more normal. She had a little belly that rolled over the top of her bikini bottom, flabbier thighs, standing flatfooted, and looked far more normal. Still beautiful, but more normal. She said in the photos she sucks in, tenses, and knows how to pose, but that's a fantasy, not reality and she wanted other women to know that. I was very impressed by her willingness to show herself in a more normal, non-posed state.

Fly!!! Eagles!!! Fly!!!
Respected Contributor

LOL While there may be two sides to every story, the deceased never get to tell theirs. When it comes to spousal inheritance rights, all that's going to matter is hers, and the estate will probably settle, anyway.

Even Christina Crawford got something lol. And consider Dennis Hopper, whose harpy of a wife refused to vacate the home in the midst of an acrimonious divorce, because wording in various legal instruments stated that she'd be disinherited if they weren't "living together." She also ultimately received something, though it had to be taken from their minor daughter's cut.

When it comes to disposition of remaining assets, it appears to be easier to disinherit adult children. Still, it's often not simply a matter of "disinheriting" those whom the courts view as having inheritance rights, especially spouses.

What worries you masters you.
Honored Contributor

They separated and he made adjustments accordingly to his Estate as a responsible person would do.  Our firm always encouraged changes at the very least on the day of final hearing for divorce if not prior to.  I thought it was wonderful of her to be with him at the end.  But his Estate was his to do with as he pleased. 

"Live frugally, but love extravagantly."
Esteemed Contributor

I watched and felt sad for her. I remember in high school in the 80"s how

much the teenage boys talked about her.

Wonder if Dancing with the Stars will contact her to be on the show? She

can probably do more than just modeling.

Respected Contributor

@threecees

She's already appeared on DWTS.

@beckb1012

🤔His estate? Or theirs?

That's the issue. Aside from establishing trusts or other vehicles which name beneficiaries, there's a reason a lot of people dispose of assets while they're still living. Anything residual can ultimately be contested--and often, is.

What worries you masters you.
Honored Contributor

@Moonlady wrote:
@threecees

She's already appeared on DWTS.

@beckb1012

🤔His estate? Or theirs?

That's the issue. Aside from establishing trusts or other vehicles which name beneficiaries, there's a reason a lot of people dispose of assets while they're still living. Anything residual can ultimately be contested--and often, is.

His Estate not her's to do with as he pleased. Just like any one can. 

"Live frugally, but love extravagantly."