Valued Contributor

Re: Sunday 7/16/2017 Big Brother 19 Live Feed Spoilers and Updates!!!

Gardenman ...  I worked for attorneys for years before retirement and tonight's episode included Christmas coming back into the house after her surgery.  I knew her injury was quite serious to require surgery, but she also commented she might never be able to participate in her competitions any longer.  So this injury has more or less ruined her career ...  You know so much about every facet of this game, has anyone ever successfully sued BB for injuries sustained during the show ??  I know this question is a bit out of the gameplay area, but thought you might know.  Some of their competitions do get pretty physical, but I can't recall any other serious injuries ...  I'm certain there are all kinds of legal documents which contestants must sign and CBS requires in order to play this game ...  

Respected Contributor

I'm really surprised that Christmas broke 10 bones in her foot, she's so young and the athletic type. 

Respected Contributor

We don't know that Christmas broke ten bones in her foot. What we know is that Christmas said she broke ten bones. Was it true? Was it gameplay? Was it emotional manipulation? Was it a sympathy ploy to houseguest and viewers? Were nine of the breaks a pre-existing condition that was never correctly addressed?  We don't know. I just know I would never take anyone's word as true in the BB house.
Valued Contributor

[ Edited ]

@truffle ... I was shocked when Christmas started to talk about her injury ...  I'm sure the rodeo guy feels bad ...  I don't know if he hit something in the yard or tripped, but I guess it doesnt really matter.  I just know it was a bad fall when you see it replayed on the show ...

P.S. ...  I'm done with Paul ...  it's just a little overload to have him two years in a row ...  and I still hate the beard regardless of how much time he devotes to it ...

Honored Contributor

@Graciesmom wrote:

Gardenman ...  I worked for attorneys for years before retirement and tonight's episode included Christmas coming back into the house after her surgery.  I knew her injury was quite serious to require surgery, but she also commented she might never be able to participate in her competitions any longer.  So this injury has more or less ruined her career ...  You know so much about every facet of this game, has anyone ever successfully sued BB for injuries sustained during the show ??  I know this question is a bit out of the gameplay area, but thought you might know.  Some of their competitions do get pretty physical, but I can't recall any other serious injuries ...  I'm certain there are all kinds of legal documents which contestants must sign and CBS requires in order to play this game ...  

The contract with CBS reportedly protects CBS from everything. There haven't been serious injuries in Big Brother, but in Survivor, Michael Skupin severely burned his hands/arms when he fell into a fire while filming Survivor. I don't believe he was able to sue for those injuries.

There have reportedly been people selected to play in Big Brother who backed out after reading the full contract. The contract strongly favors CBS and offers no loopholes for the players to come after CBS.

In the case of Christmas, her injury came at the hands of Jason, so he might have some liability unless the contract specifically excludes other houseguests from liability for injuries caused by them. It might be in his best financial interests not to win the game. The less money he has the less likely it is for Christmas to sue him. I'm not sure how successful she'd be suing him as she participated voluntarily and shared responsibility, but he's likely more at risk than CBS.

Fly!!! Eagles!!! Fly!!!
Respected Contributor

@Etoile308 wrote:
We don't know that Christmas broke ten bones in her foot. What we know is that Christmas said she broke ten bones. Was it true? Was it gameplay? Was it emotional manipulation? Was it a sympathy ploy to houseguest and viewers? Were nine of the breaks a pre-existing condition that was never correctly addressed?  We don't know. I just know I would never take anyone's word as true in the BB house.

I didn't see the full clip but I think Jason tripped carrying Christmas on his back.   If you ever had pain in your foot or leg I don't think you would stage anything like that. And how would you win any competitions?

Valued Contributor

As always, you're the best !!   I thought it would be iron clad towards CBS ...  it is artificial turf in the yard, is it not ??  Thanks for your help ...

Respected Contributor

Voluntarily climbing onto Jason's back makes him liable when he fell? I guess a lawyer could find a jury stupid enough to vote that way. 

Respected Contributor

@truffle wrote:

Voluntarily climbing onto Jason's back makes him liable when he fell? I guess a lawyer could find a jury stupid enough to vote that way. 

yeah and he's married and she is supposed to be engaged?

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

@sabra wrote:

@gardenman  Since the season started so early do you have any clue when it ends?  I ask because I'm trying to plan a vacation and don't want to be gone that week.  TIA

Does anyone think the houseguests are getting fed up with Christmas?  From what I've seen and read I think they are.

@sabra,Did you get an answer to your question? I just heard the hgs saying that their last show is around the time Survivor premieres which is Sept 27th. So maybe the 26th? Anyway, it should be the last week of September. Hope that helps!