Trusted Contributor

Re: Succession tonight, who will take over?

I didn't really like the ending either but after reading some analysis it does make more sense.

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

Yes, I also found the finale to be somewhat uneventful and didn't turn out to be filled with the supposed shockers/ surprises that we all were expecting!...It kind of left me with the feeling....

"Is That All There Is?  lol

~~Formerly known as "WildFlowers"~~
Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Stray wrote:
Oh no! I didn’t see it yet. Will watch later today. I’m sad the ending was disappointing. Maybe room for a spin-off?

@Stray ...Yes, I did get the feeling that it definitely did leave room for a "spin-off"...plenty left to work with...Since it was such a huge success, I wouldn't be surprised if they are in the works for one.

~~Formerly known as "WildFlowers"~~
Honored Contributor

I actually liked the ending. Nothing neat or pretty.  That's all I'll say.

Honored Contributor

I liked the ending too, they all self imploded because of their selfishness and other traits, like they always did. Shiv got blanked over by a man yet again career wise, and had to lose to her husband too. Didn't like that part, but sadly it's realistic.

I would like to see what happens to them, the creator was very wishy washy about ending the show so who knows.
"This isn't a Wednesday night, this is New Year's Eve"
Honored Contributor

I like this that someone tweeted

We can fight until the cows come home about why Shiv did what she did but we have to acknowledge that in sentencing herself to essentially become her mother, she saved her brother from becoming their father.
"This isn't a Wednesday night, this is New Year's Eve"
Esteemed Contributor

The CEO at HBO stated there are no plans for a spin-off but did say she never says never. I’d love to see Alexander Skarsgard on TV again. There are questions unanswered. In the long run, I think Shiv did actually get what she wanted. Perhaps, that’s what she always wanted deep down.
Trusted Contributor

@Greeneyedlady21 wrote:
I like this that someone tweeted

We can fight until the cows come home about why Shiv did what she did but we have to acknowledge that in sentencing herself to essentially become her mother, she saved her brother from becoming their father.

Interesting quote

SPOILER:

I don't think she did it our of concern for her brother,  I think she still wanted some power and with her brother runnning the company she would be shut out.  Going with Tom at least got her a little bit of control and input.  I think there will be some additional movie or series at some point.

Respected Contributor

Mehera Bonner
Mon, May 29, 2023 at 7:16 AM CDT

succession

Tom Wambsgans' Last Name Is Full of SpoilersHBO

Spoilers for the season finale of Succession incoming! If you don't want to know what happened during Sunday night's episode, don't keep reading.

After four long years of sibling rivalry, Succession finally ended with the Roys coming up empty handed (aside from all their money, lol). Quick recap: Shiv did an about-face on Kendall, ruining his chance of becoming CEO of Waystar Royco while also saving him from turning into their dad. But her decision to vote against Kendall also paved the way for Tom Wambsgans to become CEO—and apparently we should have seen it coming.

Prior to the finale, Nameberry dropped a theory that Tom would become CEO literally based on his last name and...it came true. The website's editor-in-chief Sophie Kihm explained via TikTok that Succession's names are very intentional—for example, "Shioban's nickname, Shiv, can also refer to a knife, and the family's surname, Roy, literally means king." So basically, the writers aren't just picking names out of a hat—which brings us to Tom.

As Kihm noted prior to the finale, Tom's last name literally translates to "goose with the big belly"—but that's not why its significant. It's significant because the most famous Wambsgans in history is Bill Wambsganss—who's best remembered for "completing the only unassisted triple play in world series history."

"He took out three players at once in what is essentially the finale of baseball," Kihm explained. "It's no coincidence that Tom shares a surname with Bill Wambsganss, so you have to wonder if Tom will complete an unassisted triple play and take out all three of the Roy siblings to become the leader of Waystar Royco in the Succession finale.

Super Contributor

It was a little disappointing; yet, the held true to the title, "Succession".  We found out and it does not mean we like it.  LOL