Honored Contributor

Re: Stylish, Sophisticated Musical "The Band Wagon" Fred Astaire Tonight

@Oznell wrote:

You're not kidding, drizzella.  Robert Osborne was the gold standard as host, and Alec Baldwin is no substitute.  Imagine, until this movie he thought of Fred Astaire, the incredible, immortal Fred Astaire, as a "powdery image" and "not his cup of tea".

I'll be so bold as to say, anyone, especially a fellow performer, who doesn't "get" the timeless genius of Astaire, doesn't have the discernment to host a show like this.  Ha, I'm getting too worked up.

William Friedkin should be the host, not the guest.  He's so good at discussing films I sort of have a crush on him.  I have a crush on an 82 year old stranger!

Don't get me started on Alec Baldwin doing or saying anything. I think he's a big fat j**k and has been for years. A "student" of film or anything else, he is not. "How To Be a Boor", maybe. I was really taken aback by his "Mr. Nacho" comment. Plegh.

Enjoyed watching the film. I adore Fred Astaire - always have.

Trivia: Nanette Fabray is Shelley Fabares' aunt. She has had a lifelong partial hearing loss and has worked with many deaf charities. She's still alive at 96!

James Mitchell, who played Cyd Charisse's broody BF, was as much or more known for his dancing as his acting. He was also a choreographer/director in Real Life and partnered Cyd Charisse several times. He worked within American Ballet Theater for Agnes DeMille in Rodeo, and also with her in Brigadoon, Paint Your Wagon and Oklahoma. I first saw him in The Turning Point (why don't they ever re-run that film anywhere?).

Life without Mexican food is no life at all
Honored Contributor

Super background info as usual, Moonchilde.  I did feel a bit sorry for the James Mitchell character losing Cyd to Fred Astaire, ha.  Had a vague idea he was a dancer in real life, but it's good to know he had such a great career! 

Nanette Fabray seemed like such a bubbly performer, and I enjoyed her the few times I saw interviews of her.  After what Friedkin said about how Oscar Levant would blame her for his mistakes on set, I'd love to hear the stories she must have told her neice Shelley after that experience....

Oscar Levant was incorrigibly neurotic, but I always love to see him on screen-- a character!

Honored Contributor

Michael Kidd worked on the choreography with some of the dance numbers in the Band Wagon. Not sure which dance numbers.

He aslo starred in It's Always Fair Weather. He was Angie Valentine in that movie. He was one of the 3 GIs with Gene Kelly and Dan Dailey.

Honored Contributor

Wow, drizzella, Michael Kidd as well?   There was all kinds of talent wrapped up in that movie, for sure.

Esteemed Contributor

I love this movie! I never saw it as a child or even as a young adult but TCM has played it enough times that I PVR'd it and have watched it many times. Cyd Charisse was one of the most exquisite creatures ever to grace the silver screen and I don't think she ever got enough credit for her acting and dancing.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@TY wrote:

I love this movie! I never saw it as a child or even as a young adult but TCM has played it enough times that I PVR'd it and have watched it many times. Cyd Charisse was one of the most exquisite creatures ever to grace the silver screen and I don't think she ever got enough credit for her acting and dancing.

TCM interviewed Cyd Charisse. I am not sure when but I remember seeing it several times last year. And she is still STUNNING and charming too! The lady has class in addition to talent.

PS  OOPS - I just looked it up. Cyd Charisse died in 2008. Well, she still looked good in the TCM interview.