Esteemed Contributor

@Mz iMac wrote:

@Shawnie wrote:

How do you get internet?

From a cable company. 

Centurylink 

Valued Contributor

Do you have to own a "smart tv" to get streaming ?

I have a regular ole tv and have to have cable in my area to get tv.  

Do smart tv's get around that?

Esteemed Contributor

@shoptheQ @you just need Internet and a fire stick. 

I bought an antennae and stream Netflix. My son shares his Hulu account with me and his girlfriend shares her Disney plus. 

I have one Smart TV and my other two I connected fire sticks. 

Honored Contributor

Internet access is going to get a lot cheaper and a lot more readily available in the very near future. Low Earth orbit satellites are already starting to be deployed and Amazon plans to launch over 3,000 of them in the very near future. One Web is already deploying some satellites for internet access. Private ISP's (Internet service providers) are starting to repopulate the country. Most were driven out by the cable giants, but they're now starting to pop back up and are hanging wire all around the country. The new wireless 5G services with speeds up to 25 Gbps will soon be more widely available.

Unlimited wireless plans are now getting pretty darn cheap at $35 (or so) a month and up. When 5G rolls around expect to see the prices climb a little, but I'm paying about $56 a month for 100Mbps Internet through Verizon and if their 5G service is comparable in price to that and they lift the restrictions on tethering (now you're limited to 5 Mbps for devices tethered to your phone) then all you'll need is an unlimited wireless plan and a phone that can serve as a hotspot or a wireless hotspot device to get blazing fast speed both at home and away at one price.

The future of high-speed Internet has never been brighter than it is now. The monopoly some companies have had forever is finally being broken. Costs are falling and speeds are increasing. The new 5G service promises to shatter what many have come to expect. 

Fly!!! Eagles!!! Fly!!!
Honored Contributor

I figured it out not that long ago and by the time you added up the streaming services, some sort of steaming device for the non-smart tv, the internet, the landline (yes, we still have one and always will) the savings wasn't worth the aggravation it could cause.