Honored Contributor

Streaming surpassed cable viewing for the first time last month

[ Edited ]

This headline comes from Nielsen's data. There are many articles about it online. just put my title into your internet search bar for much more. 

Honored Contributor

Re: Streaming surpassed cable viewing for the first time last month

And given how much our cable bill just went up, we're going to be joining the streaming group.  Just bought two new smart tvs and we're going to see how we do with streaming before we "cut the cord".

We had lousy internet service for nearly two decades, because there was no other option in our rural area.  But two years ago we were able to get Spectrum and the internet speed is brillaint.

So now we can actually do streaming, where before we couldn't.  We're very happy with Spectrum and their customer service, but our bill has gone from $181, to $228 and just this month $265!  Nearly $160 of that is for the tv and we barely watch 10 channels (3 of those are local).

I'll be calling them, but I doubt they'll be able to offer anything that will reduce it enough.  We'll keep the internet and phone and drop the tv.

Esteemed Contributor

@Venezia wrote:

And given how much our cable bill just went up, we're going to be joining the streaming group.  Just bought two new smart tvs and we're going to see how we do with streaming before we "cut the cord".

We had lousy internet service for nearly two decades, because there was no other option in our rural area.  But two years ago we were able to get Spectrum and the internet speed is brillaint.

So now we can actually do streaming, where before we couldn't.  We're very happy with Spectrum and their customer service, but our bill has gone from $181, to $228 and just this month $265!  Nearly $160 of that is for the tv and we barely watch 10 channels (3 of those are local).

I'll be calling them, but I doubt they'll be able to offer anything that will reduce it enough.  We'll keep the internet and phone and drop the tv.

You are so lucky to have decent service from Spectrum.  In NYC Spectrum is the stepchild and a lot of people dumped them real quick.  

A Negative Mind ~ Will give you a Negative Life
Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Venezia  My son and mom have Spectrum.  My son got the streaming package (no box) and was able to get the local channels and about 8 other channels that he and his wife were able to pick for around $25 a month + the internet service (not sure what that costs).

My mom, who doesn't have internet and doesn't have a smart TV either, was able to change her service from one of the regular packages to a "choice" package or another similar name, and was able to get local channels + about 15 channels that she picked (no sports) and was able to reduce her bill by about $30-$40 a month.  She has a DVR and pays for the box and the service in addition to the video service, but was able to eliminate a bunch of video channels that she never watched and save on her bill.  When I called to lower her bill I thought she would have to do streaming to get a package where she was able to pick her channels but they said they could do it with the DVR box she already has.   So far so good.

As for me, I still have the boxes in several rooms and watch mostly local channels (I'm a news junkie) and slow to adapt.....  

......You look like I need a drink.....
Respected Contributor

@Venezia   Call them and ask about a streaming or service where you can choose a limited amount of channels.  If you like ESPN or similar it might not work for you, but my mom is happy with her choices and saved a bunch on her bill. 

......You look like I need a drink.....
Honored Contributor

I heard this as well, offerings all over on cable are pretty boring,  

we have a good deal on our cable but I'd be open to changing at some point

Teri showed a Roku and antenna deal this week

Super Contributor

[ Edited ]

@CAcableGirl2 wrote:

@Venezia   Call them and ask about a streaming or service where you can choose a limited amount of channels.  If you like ESPN or similar it might not work for you, but my mom is happy with her choices and saved a bunch on her bill. 

With youtubetv, for 65.00 a month you can get plenty of channels including espn and all sports.  I get more channels than I did with Comcast for a fraction of the price.  Smart TV not necessary if you have Roku or other streaming device 

Honored Contributor

This doesn't surprise me as the cable companies have raised their prices and have forced consumers to cut the cord. Also the content you get with streaming services is far superior than anything on network and cable stations as reflected in the many nominations ( Emmy and Golden Globes) they have received. 

Honored Contributor

Frontier Communications dropped its TV packages. It's just an Internet provider with some phone services. You'll see more "cable TV" companies follow their lead. It'll be all streaming before too much longer. The content providers have been holding the cable TV companies hostage for higher rates and are driving them from the business. The costs to maintain a cable TV system (digital boxes, etc.) are pretty high and when consumers can buy a streaming device for what one month's cable box rental costs, it makes no sense to keep providing the service. It'll all be streaming before much longer. Cable TV as we know it now is a dinosaur on its way to extinction.

Fly!!! Eagles!!! Fly!!!
Honored Contributor

I actually stream everything I DVR from the cable on my tablet every day via the Infinity app so I can multitask. Rare that I sit and watch the actual tv.