Esteemed Contributor

Do you have a favorite streaming channel?  I have Netflix but find it difficult to find many interesting movies to watch for my taste.  I had Sundance which I liked but the choices were not updated that often.  I've looked at Britbox but not sure.  Many of the channels I've searched for has movies that don't really interest me.  Since I rarely buy anything from Amazon that is an expensive option for just watching movies.  Just trying to find quality programming.

Esteemed Contributor

I have Hulu and Amazon. Plus Roku which is free. More than any sane person can watch.

Honored Contributor

I have Netflix and Amazon , I actually dropped a couple because there is only so much time and we are readers. 

" You are entitled to your opinion. But you are not entitled to your own facts."
Daniel Patrick Moynihan
Honored Contributor

Re: Streaming Services

[ Edited ]

@Biftu,

Amazon has many British tv series too, not just movies.

I like Roku (free) which has something of everything including past British and Australian mystery series, HGTV, some Hallmark, classics, Murder she Wrote, Hitchcock, etc.

Also Filmrise and Peacock are free streaming services which have a lot

of good varied things.

If you are really thinking of trying Britbox, look at Acorn too. I think they have more choices.

And really with all the free ones  there is so much to see.

They do have commercials but you can mute them but most are short and you can get up and stretch or something! And some things are live on the free channels so you can't always pause.

"If you walk the footsteps of a stranger, you'll learn things you never knew. Can you sing with all the voices of the mountains? can you paint with all the colors of the wind?"
Esteemed Contributor

I have Prime, Roku, Hulu, and Sling TV. Considering that I am a heavy reader that is a lot, but each one offers me something different. 

Prime: I have this by default. It comes free with my Amazon prime account.

Hulu: I like to watch older shows that I never got around to watching. I am currently on Season 8 of Bluebloods.  

Roku: It's a ROKU flat screen TV so it's by default that I have it.

Sling TV: Offers me my HGTV shows which I love, News, TBS & TNT. Let's not forget Paramount (Yellowstone)

Esteemed Contributor

I have Britbox and Acorn because I love British TV.  Acorn has more original made for Acorn offerings.  Britbox has a lot of the ITV and BBC things you would see on a PBS station. Both of those are subscription apps.  I also have Netflix.  I stream through a Roku device and take advantage of a lot of the free offerings through Roku. 

So many of these streaming networks are extra fee items.  One can find their monthly TV bill to be escalating back up to the amount they were paying for cable and the high bill was one of the main reasons they cut the cord in the first place.  

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

Do any streaming services offer TCM?  And if you have 3 or 4 services, what is the cost???

DH has been doing some research into switching from cable.  We have 3 TVs.  From what he has determined in order to get the channels we now have with cable, we wouldn't be saving much, if anything.  

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Biftu 

We have Sling (@Trix  TCM is included with Sling), Amazon Prime (which is inclusive in the Prime Account), Netflx, and BritBox (can't do without Keeping Up Appearances and As Time Goes By).  We pay about $60 total for all of these services and were paying over $200 monthly to Spectrum with only Basic TV selections.  We are saving a huge amount of money and have an extensive selection compared to the basic tv service with Spectrum (with horrible service).

We love streaming due to the extensive choices and savings (knowing that every year you could expect another significant price increase  - which was already excessively high -with Spectrum).  

Respected Contributor

If BritBox is like the rest, you can cancel the service at any time. So you might consider trying it, and if it's not for you, you can cancel. We stream different services at different times depending on when certain shows are offered. When the show that we're watching is over for the season, we drop that subscription.

Honored Contributor

@Trix wrote:

I have Britbox and Acorn because I love British TV.  Acorn has more original made for Acorn offerings.  Britbox has a lot of the ITV and BBC things you would see on a PBS station. Both of those are subscription apps.  I also have Netflix.  I stream through a Roku device and take advantage of a lot of the free offerings through Roku. 

So many of these streaming networks are extra fee items.  One can find their monthly TV bill to be escalating back up to the amount they were paying for cable and the high bill was one of the main reasons they cut the cord in the first place.  

That's why we are very hesitant to switch from cable.  At least with cable we just turn on the TV and the stations are there.  How do you access different channels from different streaming services???