Honored Contributor

Stranger Things *SPOILER THREAD FOR SEASON 3*

[ Edited ]

The other thread is a general discussion so this thread is meant to discuss Season 3 and what happened.

I didn't like Season 3 as much as the first 2 seasons; I thought this one dragged too much until the last two episodes.

Who is the American in the Russian prison? 

Hopper?  He was looking around as though trying to find an escape.

I hope so since Season 4 is going to have a major Russian storyline.  Hopper was always my favorite adult.

Or it could be Dr. Brenner since we really don't know where he went.

I also felt the connection between all the kids was not as tight as before.

jmo

Any thoughts?

"" Compassion is a verb."-Thich Nhat Hanh
Respected Contributor

Re: Stranger Things *SPOILER THREAD FOR SEASON 3*

I agree that this season was kind of slow, but I enjoyed it more than season 2. The last few episodes were really good.

Since we never saw Hopper vaporize, I think it's him in the Russian prison. Besides I don't think they would kill off a very popular character. Can you imagine the reunion between him and El when/if he escapes?

As much as I enjoyed the escapades of Dustin and Steve, I did miss Dustin not being with his friends until the end of the season.

And I love the addition of Erica. If there is a season 4 I hope she returns!!
Honored Contributor

@lmt   Dustin is my favorite among the younger boys.

Steve "The Hair" Harrington. LOL

Poor kid took such a beating!!

Erica played a great part, I agree.  Somebody new to expand the show.

"" Compassion is a verb."-Thich Nhat Hanh
Honored Contributor

Like everyone, as a fan I hope it’s Hopper, but that seems too obvious.
I think the connection between the kids not being the same is a reflection of what happens in real life and adolescence. Love Dustin.
Respected Contributor

@bikerbabe

Yeah, it does seem to be too obvious to be Hopper, but I still think it'll be him. No on screen death/no body=still alive. At least in my book, LOL! 😉

I can't imagine who else it could be. I'm guessing that whenever the reveal is made it'll be a big emotional payoff.
Highlighted
Honored Contributor

This season doesn’t have the same momentum as the first two did. Some episodes just dragged on. As far as the unknown prisoner, I’m guessing the writers want us to think it’s Hopper. I’m hoping it is. The storyline this year could have used some fine tuning and the plot this season isn’t that great. 

Trusted Contributor

@Cakers3   Thanks for starting this thread!  I just finished watching season 3 and I liked it as a whole.  What bothered me slightly was that the characters of Joyce & Hopper seemed to have been "dumbed down" a little just for the sake of humor.  I think the pairing of Steve & Robin's characters were fantastic.  In my opinion they both have great acting futures ahead!

Valued Contributor

I agree with the thought season 1 and 2 were much stronger than season 3. The best part of season 3 was Steve and Dustin! They cracked me up, but also stayed within the story line.

Valued Contributor

My guess is that since David Harbour, who plays Hopper, has had big film opportunities recently, they may have ended it that way to give him an out. A lot of tv series have actors sign 3 season contracts, so he may not have decided yet whether he’ll be returning, Another example of this would be Downtown Abbey. Dan Stevens (Matthew Crowley) and Siobhan Finneran (O’Brien) decided not to renew after their 3 seasons were up.

Perhaps Winona Ryder, Noah Schnapp, and Charlie Heaton won’t return next season, either. They drove off into the sunset at the end. Joyce isn’t much without Hopper, Will was pretty much set dressing for the whole season, and Charlie Heaton is in a new superhero movie which may end up taking off and having sequels. 

If they wait another two years for the next season, the kids are going to be between 17 and 19 years old. Maybe they’ll all move in together and go to the same college like “The Facts of Life.”