Trusted Contributor

I just watched Beachfront Bagain Hunt:Renovation. A couple with two children,a boy aged 12 and a girl aged 10 renovated a condo on the beach in Florida which had one bedroom. The couple had a Murphy bed made for the kids to share and didn't have a pull out sofa. 

I can't image what the couple was thinking. Certainly,not their children in this case. 

Did any of you happen to see it. It was on tonight-Sat. at 9 pm. 

Honored Contributor

Re: Strange HGTV Show

[ Edited ]

I was flipping around, caught some of it.   Was the condo their primary residence or a vacation home?   They must have sacrificed the 2nd BR for the view.   They should have purchased the single family home if this was to be their primary residence.

It doesn't make sense but neither do the people who downsize and move a family into one of those tiny homes.   Kids need some room and privacy at times.   I'm single and elderly and I could do it, but not with kids.

@nrm wrote:

I just watched Beachfront Bagain Hunt:Renovation. A couple with two children,a boy aged 12 and a girl aged 10 renovated a condo on the beach in Florida which had one bedroom. The couple had a Murphy bed made for the kids to share and didn't have a pull out sofa. 

I can't image what the couple was thinking. Certainly,not their children in this case. 

Did any of you happen to see it. It was on tonight-Sat. at 9 pm. 

Respected Contributor

@nrm. I saw that program and found it bizarre also given the ages of the children.

Honored Contributor

Seems less than ideal. If the parents shared the murphy bed, maybe the kids could have twin beds- with a screen to divide them- in the one bedroom.

Frequent Contributor

I did watch it and agree that it was very strange.  A 12 and 10 should not want

to be sleeping together. Do not know what the parents were thinking. I have 

3 sons and do know they never would have wanted to share 1/10th of a 

murphy bed space. lol.

Frequent Contributor

It was to be for a vacation spot and for them to use as a rental, also.

Honored Contributor

I find many of those "home searching" shows bizarre.  I didn't see that episode but I hope that many details were left out.  I find especially puzzling the ones where retired couples want to move to "paradise"--some remote area in Central America or the Caribbean.  Do they consider healthcare, availability of items we take for granted here?  Some of them are truly strainge and I wonder how long they last in "paradise."

Valued Contributor

I quit watching HGTV a few months back.  Househunters with some of those awful demanding wives, can't stand Chip Gaines{sp}, the flips that cost more than the average person's home costs, the Tiny House shows, and especially the island buyers.  I'm old and never wanted my own island.  But I agree children of that age shouldn't be sharing a bed.

Esteemed Contributor

Re: Strange HGTV Show

[ Edited ]

Glad I missed that episode. If the kids don't rebel in a year or two, then I would be REALLY worried. I've been watching less HGTV than I used to watch. The programs are all the same...flipping, rehab of houses that should have been destroyed, houses that my  beagle couldn't even fit into. It has becom boring. I never again want to hear the terms open concept, hardwood floors, or stainless steel appliances.

Trusted Contributor

I didn't see that episode but it sure does sound strange that kids that age and especially a brother and sister would share a bed! Even if it is just a vacation home!

I agree about the shows where people want to move to an island "paradise".  I've often thought what would they do if they got a serious illness...are there reputable hospitals in these areas?  Things you certainly have to consider when you are any age, but certainly moreso when at a retirement age.  

Also, what about family members...how easy is it to visit or have people come to visit you when you live on an island somewhere?  Especially elderly parents?